It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:50

New Topic Add Reply
boron/glass/cane feel
Post 19 Feb 2006, 05:22 • #1 
Guide
Didn't want to hijack the glass/cane thread by interjecting boron.

I've used a few hundred rods in various substrates, and the swing weight that nationbar alluded to is a big feel factor to me. That has a lot to do with whether I feel I'm pushing the stick vs. letting the inertia of the rod do the work of casting. That "airiness" that palebluedun refers to is also part of the feel - a fluffiness even. However, by changing lines around, even within plastic to the old Masterlines, or obviously to various silks, you can change that airy sensation in other ways.

When I am hauling for distance or trying to reach that obnoxious bow rising 70 ft out in a tough drift line across the main current flow, long and high modulus graphite is the way I go. But I always feel like I'm having a workout when that happens. And sometimes I don't mind that.

But in most of my small stream or spring creek or up-close ffishing, where most of my catches occur, I reach for a stick that's more intuitive.

Anyway, although most of my boron and all the glasses do feel more cane-like than all the graphites I've used, there are big differences besides the swing weight and flexing feel into the butt. During casting, there's the feedback as the line/leader/fly are waving around back there as I am watching the fish and bugs. Also the gradual rate of energy transmission is much different than the point and shoot feel of graphites, especially the recent GenXYZ's.

Curiously, the least subtle and the most point'n-let-it-go rods I'd ever casted were the 1st graphites: the olde Leonard Grafteks with the sanded, painted blanks by Exxon. Funny how those traits seem to be what's being marketed now?

The original Paul Brown style Fenwick World Classes had a helical wrap construction which made them very reminiscent of glass (and for that matter, cane) but still, they were still different. Apples and oranges, vs. oranges, tangerines, grapefruit and kiwifruit I guess.

tl
les

boron/glass/cane feel
Post 19 Feb 2006, 12:13 • #2 
Master Guide
Nice post! I've not cast nearly the number of rods as you have, but there's something about waiting for that "beat" when casting my Payne clone that always puts a smile on my face. I've almost convinced myself that it gives a trout more tiime to work up an appetite ... then again, my mama always said I was a dull child.:lol

Jon

New Topic Add Reply