It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:11

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Feb 2006, 06:27 • #1 
I have been a fly fisherman for over 40 years. I have been using graphite, but want a smoother caster like I used when I first started. I fish medium to small size streams mainly with wooly worms (not buggers) and nymphs. I want your opinions on what length and weight rod to use. Also, I wish to know which rod brand you consider best--Steffen or Diamondglass (or any other brand) --for the streams and flies I use. Thanks for your help.

Post 20 Feb 2006, 06:32 • #2 
FFR Founder
I prefer the Steffen - Alec

Post 20 Feb 2006, 07:09 • #3 
Guide
While I have not had the pleasure yet of handling a Steffen rod the Diamondglass series is so nice you should not have a problem finding one to love. If money was no issue and you were buying new I would go Steffen but I have bought like new DG rods from $155-230 and that is a difficult task trying to find a used Steffen. If the DG 8 1/2' 4wt 3pc sounds attractive to you I can only say again it is suburb and I'm not sure if Steffen makes this configuration.

One other consideration is that the DG in two piece has a very nice slightly faster action than their three piece. Looking at the Steffen website it seems all the rods are rated medium slow so someone needs to weigh in on action differences you have experienced with the Steffen two up through four piece rods.

Marshall

Post 20 Feb 2006, 07:19 • #4 
Guide
This is a lot like "which is best -- Ford or Chevy?"

Some will say swear it's Ford, others will live and die by Chevy, and then 90% of the other posters will offer non-answers like "Toyota" and "Yugo."

If you've been fly fishing for over 40 years, then you must have some ideas about rod length and line weight which you'd prefer?

Sounds to me like the place for an 8' 5weight. Steffen and Diamondglass both offer that rod, and to say one was better than the other is pretty tough. Better cast both.

Tom Chandler

Post 20 Feb 2006, 12:22 • #5 
Emeritus
I much prefer the Steffen. I would say the entire steffen line is oh so slightly faster action than Diamondglass. Also keep in mind, Mark has not updated his website in a LONG time. He will build many more line weights and lengths than his site indicates. I own 3 Steffen rods and my favorite so far is the 8' for 5/6 lines. I also love my 7 1/2 for 3/4 lines.
I feel the steffen is superior in the looks department as well. Nice reel seat hardware and all.
Thanks
Paul

Post 24 Feb 2006, 19:58 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Both rod series are good. I have a few of each. I like the Steffen best for dry flies and prefer the Diamondglass for all around versatility. As far as all around function, the D'glass 8'6"/3 #4 is the best thing going. I do most of my fishing with it. For summer tricos and stuff, I'm pleased about how my Steffen Bros. 7'6" 2/3 fishes.

Post 25 Feb 2006, 03:50 • #7 
Guide
I have had a dozen or so of Mark's rods/blanks, and every single one has been arrow-straight. I have had fewer DiamondGlass rods, and the same has not been true. Cortland's attitude to replacing unstraight rods, and their actual service/delivery, however, has been beyond reproach.

New Topic Add Reply