It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:08

Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 Jul 2014, 12:08 • #201 
Sport
Dan,

For me the Scott is softer and flexes deeper into the blank than my Winston. I tend to agree with you. In my hands they are light 4wt rods although I do like the Winston with a 3wt Rio Gold line. JMO but my 1977 Scott flexes deeper than my Winston. For me there is less than 1/2 rod weight difference between the 2 even though one is weighted a three and the other a four.

I actually had an experienced poster on another forum suggest that he liked his pre IM6 Winston with a DT2 line. I no longer have any 2wt lines but I know I wouldn't like the Winston with one.

I once owned a Scott G Colorado built 8'8" 2wt that I didn't find as full flexing as my 4wt but that could be due to the time frame each was built and it being 4 inches shorter.

John

Post 31 Jul 2014, 16:15 • #202 
Master Guide
John

Thanks for posting your comments. I find them very interesting. As you know, I used to work for one of the largest Winston dealers in the country while I was in college. The preIM6 903 with a 4 on it was a shop favorite. We all thought it cast best with a 4. IMHO, it still performs best with a 4.

Your comments about the Scott are intriguing. A few years ago, I was fishing with one of my friends from West Yellowstone (also a fan of soft rods). He was using a Scott G 904 as his boat rod with a 6 weight. It was the first time I had seen an older Scott in some time. But, I did think the rod was much stiffer than everyone reported it to be. I think some of that is that many fisherman are used to fast rods, so when they pick up the Scott it is softer than their other rods. As I remembered his rod it was much, much stiffer than the Winston 903. It was a decent 6 though.

Thus, I am wondering if the vintage of your rod was softer than my friends. I emailed him to ask about his rod. I would love to cast your Scott one day. Maybe I should look for one in the future.

But when it comes down to it, I am probably not going to find anything as soft or even bending as some of my old Fenwick World Class rods. But, I still can appreciate other nice rods.

Thanks again for your input

Post 31 Jul 2014, 17:29 • #203 
Sport
Dan,

My Scott is a mid 4 digit serial number and when I bought it I checked with Scott on the rod's history. They told me it was a 1977 San Fran build. It may be that the later Colorado or even Berkley builds were stiffer. I do know I would try a 3wt line on mine long before I would even think to try a 6wt line.

Although I like fast action rods for flats fishing, I prefer medium to medium fast rods for trout in my locale as we don't often have the wind you have out west. You are more than welcome to try my Scott anytime you are in my area or I will bring it with me the next time I'm fishing in Montana.

John

Post 31 Jul 2014, 17:48 • #204 
Master Guide
John, That sounds like a sweet rod. I would love to cast it someday.

Post 03 Mar 2015, 19:45 • #205 
Master Guide
Are the shorter Scott G rods considered a graphite rod with GLASS soul? Hard to find information on these. Hope some of you guys can help?

Any information on this one would be great. Scott G704/3 6'10" 4wt

Post 03 Mar 2015, 20:14 • #206 
Guide
For me, it's a Winston DL4 8 1/2' 5 wt. It was a total, "Wow" from the first cast

Post 03 Mar 2015, 21:14 • #207 
Guide
I have a 6' 6" Shakespeare FY1310A and its a dream come true! My favorite budget rod from years ago!

Post 03 Mar 2015, 22:08 • #208 
Glass Fanatic
Myfly,

I like the Scott G's that I've cast in the 8 to 8' 6" range. I haven't had the chance to cast the shorter rods, but I am less tempted to say that the G's that I've cast have a Glass Soul. They are fantastic and progressive, but lighter and have a lot of the benefits that graphite provides. Fantastic rods and Glasslike, but they have their own character.

I'm still on the lookout for a G to own. I have a G2, but it isn't quite as sweet as some of the G's that I've cast.

I think you should get that G704/3 and give us a review. BTW, that's a strange number for a 6'10" rod. Did the tip get clipped, or did Scott just number it as a 7' rod?

Post 04 Mar 2015, 10:02 • #209 
Glass Fanatic
I have many times expressed my passion for the Winston DL-4 series so I won't gush about those, but I did waggle some of the NEW Douglas Outdoors Upstream rods at the Lancaster, PA show and I was impressed.

Post 04 Mar 2015, 12:15 • #210 
Glass Fanatic
carlz wrote:
I think you should get that G704/3 and give us a review. BTW, that's a strange number for a 6'10" rod. Did the tip get clipped, or did Scott just number it as a 7' rod?

I always just assumed it was a convenient numbering thing. And it was awhile back, but that rod, and the 8'8" 5 wt. I used one day definitely had soul; hard to compare now, but I'd say they're good targets for the quest.

Post 05 Mar 2015, 06:57 • #211 
Master Guide
I had the 703/3 'Mountain Trout' Scott and it was a nice 3 but a better 4 for me. That taper is rather fast like the original f series rods. My Scott 845/5 4wt is great with a 4 or 5wt line.

My favorite is the Winston BIIT 9'5wt which loads perfectly with a 5wt line. You see very few BIIT's on the secondary market, they are truly great tapers designed by Sam Druckman and for me much nicer than the WT's.

Post 05 Mar 2015, 08:57 • #212 
Sport
My orvis superfine full flex 7' 4wt

><{{{{{{{•>

Post 05 Mar 2015, 09:11 • #213 
Sport
I have an unsanded Orvis 2-Hander with a feeling close to those late glass rods of that time (I build that one in the early 80ies, I guess). I still have that rod and used it recently with modern Skagit lines -- big positive surprise.

Post 05 Mar 2015, 09:32 • #214 
Master Guide
rsagebrush wrote:
I had the 703/3 'Mountain Trout' Scott and it was a nice 3 but a better 4 for me. That taper is rather fast like the original f series rods. My Scott 845/5 4wt is great with a 4 or 5wt line.

My favorite is the Winston BIIT 9'5wt which loads perfectly with a 5wt line. You see very few BIIT's on the secondary market, they are truly great tapers designed by Sam Druckman and for me much nicer than the WT's.

Thanks rsagebrush for letting me know that. I should like the G704/3 just fine.

Post 05 Mar 2015, 12:50 • #215 
Sport
The Sage LL series rods, which have been discontinued, I fish a 3wt and 5wt and they both fit the bill of glass 'soul.'

Post 11 Mar 2015, 19:02 • #216 
Master Guide
[quote="rsagebrush"]I had the 703/3 'Mountain Trout' Scott and it was a nice 3 but a better 4 for me. That taper is rather fast like the original f series rods. My Scott 845/5 4wt is great with a 4 or 5wt line.

I am surprised to see that Murrays Fly Shop in Va. is still making these little rods in the 3wt only. Funny we do not see them around. I did not want to comment about these the other day because one popped up on eBay but it finally ended. And it had the funky green script. Anyone here on the forum get it?

Post 14 Mar 2015, 22:18 • #217 
Glass Fanatic
I've been looking for "the perfect rod" and have been playing with 8-9' graphite 4-6wts. Here are some of my quick impressions.
  • Scott G2 885-4 --- yes, this is a true moderate action rod. It does have a glass soul. Smooth, Medium action. really Slow for graphite, but not quite as slow as the Sage LL's, but much lighter as well.
  • T&T 905 LPS 3pc -- This is one magnificent rod, but it is not like glass. Light, medium fast action rod with an amazingly light feel.
  • Loomis IMX 8' 6" 5wt 3pc -- This is actually more glasslike than the LPS. but again, not a slow rod.
  • Batson RX8+ 8'6" 4wt 4pc (rated a 4, but tested as a 5wt) I included this one here because it was built out by BobHa. This rod is comparable to the LPS. A casting machine.
  • Cortland Leon Chandler 8' for 6wt 7 4pc . I've had this one for a bit, and it reminds me of an 8' fenwick. This is a great 6wt rod. The Leon Chandler model appears to be a "trim package" more than a different rod.
  • Cortland GRF 1000 8' 5/6 wt 4pc -- This is a sleeper. After my experience with the Leon Chandler, I thought I would try and find a 5wt Cortland. This is a fantastic rod for glasslike graphite and the price is right at less than the price of an FF806 Fenwick.
  • LL Bean 8667 (2pc) This is an Diamondback in disguise as far as I can tell. Unsanded, without a noticeable weave pattern. This is rod really has the right feel to it. A 6wt line will put a good bend in it, but the rod is light in hand. I started looking for a 4pc to match it.
  • LL Bean Double L 8667-4 This is the 4pc that really matches the 2pc above. Similar trim, but this rod has the diamond weave in the graphite that really implies a Diamondback rod. This rod is not as light in the hand, but has that similar glass feel to it. What it lacks in lightness, it makes up in portability.

Going through this exercise, I realized that there is no way to pick the perfect rod. The LPS is one magnificent rod, but it was mentioned above as having a glass soul. I really don't put the LPS into that category. The Scott G2 on the other-hand has a glass soul. The "best buy" are the Cortland rods; I will be keeping these, even if it is just to keep in the trunk of the car. In fact one might replace my Fenwick FL96-6 as my "always ready bluegill rod". The Bean 8667 has been in my rotation and I will probably keep it, but I've been trying to move to multipiece rods. The 4pc bean rod just doesn't float my boat compared to the others.

If anyone has any suggestions for "must have" rods in this catagory, please let me know.

Edit: Updated the Cortland model numbers (and they were 8', not 8.5'

Last edited by carlz on 15 Mar 2015, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post 15 Mar 2015, 07:26 • #218 
Master Guide
Carlz I agree with you on the Scott G2 885 very nice but my G 905 4 piece is Alittle softer still. Add that went to Coburn yesterday for Open House and Douglas Rods were represented with Jim Murphy. I only casted one rod as horrid raining and windy the 8'3" 4 wght and despite wind whistling thru the side casting range next toThe Hook it is superb glass like . Jonas will have full inventory of Douglas products for the April 10th gathering. Jim said the real gem in Upstream is the 8'8" 4 wght and the initial batch of 350 sold out . The 8'3" possibly was softer than any glass rod in my inventory Kenney 8'3". 4/5, and Paddock Butterscotch 8'3" but both are five weights and blanks of the Upstreams are very thin and similar to Sage Circa type dimensions. Will add the esthetics of the Upstream's are beautiful plus price is mid $300.

Post 15 Mar 2015, 08:26 • #219 
Glass Fanatic
I had a Scott G 8'6" #3 from when they just stopped calling them Powerply but it wasn't called a G yet. Top of the list for rods I wish I never sold. I wouldn't call it glass though. It didn't remind me of Sam and Dave. It was light and sweet. It was a good example of what medium action graphite could be. I agree with golfnfish that the Scott G flexed deeper than most Winston IM6/WT.

I saw a post listing a T&T LPS as being nice. I owned four LPS rods including the 905/3 listed. Nice rods but hardly what I would call soft. I had to hold my three weight in an open hand praying that my tippet wouldnt pop. THOSE RODS ARE WHY I WENT BACK TO GLASS. Back then, those rods were a bit quicker than most graphite being used for trout. It was stiff compared to their Paradigms and older spigot ferrule rods. I suppose graphite kept getting faster to the point the LPS feels better than all the other fast stuff? I always dug the cork spacers they used and was bumbed when my 906/3 showed up with a maple spacer.

A few people in this post are discussing the colored Diamondback rods. Diamondback sold colored blanks to several fly shops for the local rod builders of the day. I recall seeing blanks in a local fly shop that were colored green, burgundy and brown. If you come across one without the Diamondback label (or label from LL BEAN or something) you almost certainly are looking at a custom build or hobby rod.

Post 15 Mar 2015, 10:01 • #220 
Sport
I have a Sage Graphite I that I purchased in 1984 or 85. Very sweet casting medium action rod that my son loves until this day. He has never had the inclination to use anything else.

Post 15 Mar 2015, 10:05 • #221 
Glass Fanatic
I was out this morning in the wind recasting some of these and adding a PacBay quickline 904-4 and casting the Leon Chandler side by side with the GRF1000.

The PacBay FAF904-4 was an amazingly sweet rod with a 5wt on it, but still lighting fast. Comparable to the T&T LPS. A bargain blank, but it needs to be over lined. With a 6wt line on it, it slowed down to a tolerable action if you don't like fast rods.

Side by Side, the Leon Chandler 8' 6wt and GRF1000 8' 5/6 wt look similar and they cast similar. The GRF 1000 is slightly heavier. For a 6wt rod, the Leon Chandler is best, for a 5wt, I prefer the GRF1000, but either is a functional 5/6 rod and would probably handle a 7wt.

JAS, I thought of getting a Scott G, but until I sell off some of these rods, I think I'm at my rod limit. I'm expecting to do a purge sometime soon, but it's awfully hard to pick any of these rods to get rid of. They are all nice and I would be happy to fish any of them all day long.

Post 15 Mar 2015, 10:59 • #222 
Glass Fanatic
The Hardy Sovereign line from 7'6" 3/4 to 9' 6/7 (8'4/5 and 8'6" 5/6 being the best) is very nice. A little heavy compared to US made rods of their generation, a tad slower than the LPS, closer to the LL than to the RPL. More vintage graphite than glass. The Hardy Deluxe graphite have even slower tapers and there are some really nice ones - this is one line of rods where you may want to underline. Generally I prefer the finer tips on the Sovereigns.

Post 17 Mar 2015, 18:39 • #223 
Glass Fanatic
I really like the Scott G and G2 but they don't have the same soul as glass IMO. They do have their own identity and are is much fun to fish as glass in their way. My son fished my 7643 F1 for years after buying a Scott S3 and hating it. When the 4 piece G2s came out he gave me my F1 back and now fishes G2s almost exclusively. To each his own.

Post 18 Mar 2015, 18:31 • #224 
Glass Fanatic
I guess I can't take it any more. This thread bugs me. Graphite is graphite. Glass is glass. Cane is cane. Graphite rods have examples of fast and slow tapers. Glass rods have examples of fast and slow tapers. And cane rods have examples of fast and slow tapers. They all feel different and have their own unique characteristics but you can always tell the difference between fast, slow, and parabolic. It's in the taper. Glass is not inherently slow and graphite is not inherently fast. It's in the taper. What's being confused here is that a lot of vintage glass is slower than current graphite. But graphite manufacturers,in recent decades, have made a contest of who can make the fastest taper to the point they call 7 wt rods 5 wt rods. Now it's to the point that people are looking for graphite with glass souls. Geez. Just maybe what you're looking for is actually a graphite rod with a medium or slow taper or whatever. Let's settle down and recognize glass, graphite, and cane for what they are and acknowledge that different tapers can make each feel different. As the rod market progresses, I suspect you will see rods being designed using optimum materials for particular fishing needs. Who knows, but until that happens, our needs can be reasonably met from a combination of vintage rods and rods from current manufacturers using different materials. The overall result is that we have more choices for differing needs and desires than ever before. Now that makes me feel good. I'm still not sure how my soul feels about all this.

Last edited by CrustyBugger on 22 Mar 2015, 06:56, edited 2 times in total.

Post 18 Mar 2015, 18:53 • #225 
Glass Fanatic
CrustyBugger wrote:
Let's settle down and recognize glass, graphite, and cane for what they are and acknowledge that different tapers can make each feel different.

Well said. To be honest, I just use this thread to talk about Graphite rods that I like on a Fiberglass Forum ;-)

Carl

Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next New Topic Add Reply