It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:50

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
"Good" Graphite?
Post 04 Dec 2006, 18:03 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I was going on a rant about how graphite rods have gone so fast that few people can cast them properly. It's why lots of modern fly lines are over-weighted. It's also why there's a "Fiberglass Flyrodders" site. :lol Here's a tough question. Are there any graphite rods that compare favorably with glass? I liked the old Scott Gs. Wish I still had my 8'6" #3.

"Good" Graphite?
Post 04 Dec 2006, 18:10 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I've got an older Cortland 9' 4/5 graphite that feels somewhat like glass ... I've also got a newer graphite 9' 5 wt. that is still pretty damn fast casting a 6 wt. It'd probably cast a 7 wt. with an action closer to what I like ... I actually use it as my steelhead rod.

~Randy

"Good" Graphite?
Post 04 Dec 2006, 18:23 • #3 
Master Guide
the "best' graphite, imo, is the 8ft. Orvis superfine 7/11 for 4wt. it feels so much like a nice glass or even a bamboo rod. i actually sold my 8ft Orvis nymph bamboo fly rod and kept the 7/11. i also have a scott 905-4 but, after casting good glass rods the scott doesn't compare and it too maybe on the block.

"Good" Graphite?
Post 04 Dec 2006, 19:44 • #4 
Guide
Amen on the Orvis 7'11". Some glass gurus like the Far'n Fine too.

JP Ross has some nice stix, and I find some Hexagraphs have a bambooey feel, quite separate from the look.

Some of the Diamondbacks, some of which are surprisingly cheap, have that glassy feeling.

Some Hardys, certain Winstons, and some T&T's (XL and LPS) share the sweet feel too. And there are some old Sage LL's.

tl
les

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 00:05 • #5 
FFR Founder
In 1991 I bought a Loomis IM6 8.5' for 6 weight. When I first cast it on the fly shop lawn it was like the skies opened up and the heavens started singing. Super sweet. I was not throwing 80 feet of line either, or casting loops that you couldn't slide a nickle through - just some nice easy casts within real fishing ranges typical of a normal caster. Later I bought a blank and built my own version of the rod with single foot guides. I have fished one or the other of those rods for the past 16 years with great enjoyment. Please note that these are not the faster IMX model, but the original brown IM6, sometimes referred to as the "signature series" since the factory rods have Gary Loomis's signature on them. I fish a Wulff TT 5/6 on the rod, and the longevity of that line speaks well for the quality of the Wulff products. I probably could use a new one, but it still floats and casts nicely. Alec

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 00:20 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Diamondback Classic Trout rods are (were?) full flex and a joy to fish. Also their old Pre-Cortland Carbonite series. Low end rods that were also full flex.
RFMcD

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 01:00 • #7 
Guide
One of my favorite graphite rods is the old (1980's) Orvis Brook Trout 7-1/2 #4
The old Shakespeare Graphflite 7-1/2 4-5 is also a nice slow full-flexing rod that bends deep into the grip.
A rod that I still enjoy for Atlantic Salmon is the old Orvis Light Salmon 9-1/2 foot #8. Same rod as the Rivermaster but has the removable butt extention. It's also a slow action, but outcasts the faster stiffer rods that my buddies use.

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 02:24 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Forgot one ...
I have a T&T Paradigm 9'0" #4 I've kept because it fishes great. Honestly, it's likely a better rod than the D'glass 8'6" #4 that's taken it's place. It's my biggest dilemma as far as what to sell this winter. The D'glass is a 3pc. and the Paradigm's a 2pc.. I'll likely keep it around (at least another season or until the glass bug bites again). The other remaining graphites: they're on the block!
PS: Steck123, just saw we posted about the same time and had to ask; how's the G2 feel vs. the original G?
Here's another general question: do Steffen graphites have a full flex feel?

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 03:12 • #9 
Piscator
My daughter is now fishing my Powell IM6 Silver Creek 4/5 wt. Sweet little rod with a nice progressive taper.

Fisher - love them, collect them, fish them.
I bet Fisher made the blanks on the T&T and Scott rods you guys are praising.

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 05:49 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Most of the Orvis Superfines are nice rods. The Far & Fine, 8'-6wt Trout rod, Rivermaster, to name a few.

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 06:47 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I have only been able to cast them in the parking lot, they are out of my $$$$, but the Hexagraph rods have a progressive action that is very nice. Would love to fish one. Respectfully RV Reclus

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 08:33 • #12 
Master Guide
I've got one of the (I think) original St. Croix "Legend" series - an 8 ft 4/5 wt with a nickel silver uplocking (rose wood) reel seat. Haven't fished it in more than five years but, I can't bring myself to part with it. (closest graphite to glass I've fished).
Lou

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 08:37 • #13 
Master Guide
I have resorted to ignoring the line ratings on my graphite rods and fish them with the line that loads the rod to my liking. I fish a 6'6" 2wt Forecast blank with a WF4 and as a 4wt it is absolutely sweet. Most of my rods are built on the Forecast IM6 blanks because IM6 can handle being overlined and costs allot less than higher modulus graphite. Mind you, I mostly fish out of a kayak and rarely make casts longer than 50'. My Forecast 764-4 is my graphite version of a 6wt travel rod and it also sings with the 2 line weights higher.

I also like the Cabelas Fish Eagle Traditional graphite blanks for a really sweet moderate action blank. I've fished the 5wt, 6wt, and 7wt factory rods and they were all really nice smooth casters. I have a 6wt on the bench to wrap as my saltwater schoolie striper/ fluke rod and it will no doubt load nicely with either a 6/7 wt line.

BTW, I am talking about the old version of the cabelas blanks in the gloss grey finish. The new traditional rods are gloss green and I have no idea how they fish.

I highly recommend that anyone looking for a graphite rod with a nice smooth action take a look at any IM6 blank and use a line rated 2 weights heavier as a starting point. You can go up or down from there, but finding a line that makes most rods sing is very feasible if you just ignore the rating on the blank and do a little casting with different lines.

The only downside to this is that graphite is not meant to flex as deeply as glass and I guess the possibility of rod breakage exists. I, however, have not broken any rods while doing this.

HTH,

Lou :hat

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 09:52 • #14 
Master Guide
I like two series of graphite rods: The Fisher Original (I have an 8' 4/5 wt. .. it's really a 4!). I actually like it better than my glass trout rod, a Fenwick FF79. The other series is the Fenwick Eagle GLC rods. My Eagle GLC 7wt is really a 6wt, and even feels nice with a 5, and my Dad's 7 1/2' 4wt Eagle loads fully with that 4 wt. (I didn't have a 3 to try on it, but I think it'll do it.)

The Fenwick Eagle is a straight taper tip to butt (does that make it "progressive?") whereas the Fisher has a somewhat stiffer tip. Theoretically, I guess, the Fenwick should cast off the tip on short casts better than the Fisher, but I don't notice any difference in fishability nor accuracy between them in practice.

Any thoughts?

Fish on!
-Peter

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 11:00 • #15 
FFR Founder
Peter - thankls for briging up the Fishers. I have a 9 x 9 Fisher Original that is all I use for stripers. It's a great rod and has whipped hundreds of stripers and bluefish and is no worse for the wear. Again, another IM6 rod thats a pleasure to fish. Alec

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 12:02 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Scud Dog, how much for the Diamondglass? I'm looking for a 4 or 5, 8' or longer for a carry on rod.
I only like to check gear on the way home. I once checked rod on my way fishing and the rods were two days behind. Last year I bought a 4pc Orvis to go across the pond with and hate the danmedable thing. The 3pc 7' Orvis fullflex I borrowed as a second rod was a honey. I hated to give it back. Anyone interested in a 4pc 9' #5 mid flex Clearwater? I got it at Orvis's second shop in Manchester VT and have no idea what kind of warranty it has if any.
RFMcD

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 12:33 • #17 
Emeritus
Quote:
Anyone interested in a 4pc 9' #5 mid flex Clearwater? I got it at Orvis's second shop in Manchester VT and have no idea what kind of warranty it has if any.

The Clearwater has (or had when I bought mine) 25 years. And I really, honestly believe Orvis has the best customer service ethos of any mainstream manufacturer. I just sent two rods in for repair - a 908 Silver Lable that I dinged with a big Clouser (replaced with a brand new 908 Matrix TLS courtesy of Orvis) and a Zero Gravity 908 that broke when I set up on a striper (sent the SL back when I got the ZG figuring I'd fish the ZG and busted it the first time out on the first fish hooked!). The ZG was also replaced with a new rod. I am confident that you could call Orvis today, tell them you hate the Clearwater and get a trade for full value.

That said, the new Clearwater rods suck. I've got an 8'6" 5wt (10 years old) that fishes and feels much like my Far-n-Fine or quality glass. It's an outstanding rod that I should fish more often. I also have (and just gave away to a friend who wants to learn to fly fish) an Orvis Clearwater 906/2 (same vintage as the 5wt). Its a fabulous smallie rod, just a bit faster than glass but still very much mid-flex and comfortable to fish. I briefly cast the new 906/2 while guiding a fellow this summer and immediately handed him my TL Johnson 8' glass. He fell in love with it after a quick lesson to get him back to his basic casting form (a beginner that took lessons BEFORE booking a trip, what a treat that was) and I fished/carried his 6 for the day. I couldn't cast that "pole" for a damn. The thing had absolutely no soul. Whatever Orvis did to the new Clearwaters, it was a mistake.

Joe C.

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 14:02 • #18 
Piscator
Alec, you're welcome:rollin

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 14:15 • #19 
FFR Founder
Sorry BD - blew by the Powell rod in power-reading mode and missed the Fisher reference. Well done - they are beauts! I have no experience with Powells.. will have to try one some time. Cheers, Alec

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 14:28 • #20 
Guide
scud,

As you know from ff.com, I have touted the G for years, and was at first very curious about why Scott would close the door on such a wonderful thing. The G2s that I have cast have exceeded all original expectations. They are lighter in the hand and track better than their G counterparts. And, the four piece 8'8" is a modern necessity over the old 8'8" three piece models that won't fit in a overhead on a plane. Love the cosmetics, especially the epoxied composite cork.

rich

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 14:46 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with most of the models listed here. I happen to have a WT and a T&T LPS, and both are great.

Interestingly, I was on the phone with T&T last week to discuss an unrelated issue, and at the end of the call asked, "what's new for 2007"? Turns out that what's new is actually what's old: They are bringing back a bunch of the old LPS models due to both popular demand and the success of the resurrected special order Paradigm series.

Seems they feel the market turning away from super fast thundersticks to "real" fishing rods.

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 15:45 • #22 
Master Guide
I guess I'll be the one to admit I like a fast graphite rod. I have a couple 10' 2pc glx's that I could not do without. They are not overly stiff and will handle the line rating as well as a couple sizes up for nymphing or up close work. These rods do not get much use where I am currently located though because of the small water and short casting.
Also like the fishers and G series. I tried the G2 9' 5wt and was impressed. That is one to try if you liked the LL's

-Russell

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 15:55 • #23 
Piscator
Russell, I've made the point before, I like my RPLX 7 for what it's intended - punching line into the teeth of a beating salt wind and still having the control to make 5 or 6 casts into a redfish's mudball.

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 18:48 • #24 
ok..i have read all the posts..and the best graphite rod out there is right under your nose..mike mcfarland makes the sweetest graphite rod..i have 4 of them been got my first one 5 years ago ... and i have owned winston im6, scott g, Orvis superfine,diamondback classic,sagell..mikes are better ... his workmanship is the best i have ever seen ... any of you that has his glass will agree..his rods are soft,light yet so very responsive..they can cast like a cannon..or cast 20 '..right under a branch..inches above the stream IMHO if you get a graphite rod from mike..you will not be sorry..

also just to let you guys know..i do know mike ... but this post comes from my heart..thats how strongly i feel about his rods ... of all the rods i have owned..the only one to compare was the 8' scott g..

thanks for listening and tight lines..jeff

"Good" Graphite?
Post 05 Dec 2006, 19:15 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Rich,
Cosmetics of the G2 being better than the G? Not hard to imagine. I hated the sloppy red script on the G. The script on the new Scotts is really nice. Good to hear Scott got it right on the G2 feel.
T&Ts? For any of you that like the LPS and hadn't cast a Paradigm; the Paradigms are much slower and fuller flexing. I had the 8'#3, 2pc. for a couple years and sold it because it was too slow vs. my D'glass 7'6" #3! :lol The thing I didn't like most was how it hinged if you tried to load up more than 25'-30' of line.
PS: I use to hear that Cabela's Three Forks in the 7'6" #3 was a winner. Has anyone here fished it?

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply