It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:21

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Jan 2012, 07:14 • #26 
Administrator
I'd be happy for just one of each. No duplicates here.

Post 07 Jan 2012, 12:39 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Cameron wrote:
I'd be happy for just one of each. No duplicates here.

Don't you have more than one Featherlight? Different lengths probably ...

Post 08 Jan 2012, 07:49 • #28 
Guide
I have two Scientific Anglers System 9 rods. I did have three, but let one go.

Post 26 Jun 2012, 02:38 • #29 
Master Guide
I have two of the fenwick ff85-3. One is 1/2" short at the tip, and a little scuffed up, but it's good to go knocking around in a boat. I have an ff85 2 piece as well, but that doesn't count as it performs much differently, and has a higher line weight rating than the 3 piece.
If I found another ff70-4 or ff84 at a deal price, I'd duplicate those rods.

The only other dupes I have are two 7'6" 3wt. Echo graphite rods. Those are my loaners, because they're easy to use and they have a lifetime no-fault warranty.

Post 26 Jun 2012, 09:11 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
I have a few rods for which I have bought duplicates.

Those who have known me for a while would rightly expect to see the Fenwick FF-79, 8 ft, 6 wt, (2) and the Lamiglass FL-904, 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt (3) on my list.

I also have a few sleepers - Browning Silaflex Model 022975, 7 1/2 ft, 6 wt, (2), the Shakespeare Wonderod FY-A250, 7'9", 6 wt (2), and a ProCrest 1-619-1, 7 1/2 ft, 5/6 wt. The last rod has a duplicate in spirit only as its twin came to a bad end in a kayak in moving water with a tree down across the river ... which is exactly why I had two of them.

Donny

Post 26 Jun 2012, 09:47 • #31 
Master Guide
Yes, I'm a fly rod junkie. Maybe someday I'll downsize, but it may take an intervention. Let me know how that works out for you, Rich!

But in the meantime, I do have 2 Steffen 8' 3-4wt rods (a 3pc that I built, and a 4pc that Matt Leiderman built for me).

Post 26 Jun 2012, 09:54 • #32 
Piscator
In the past, I too have owned up to 3 variants of Phillipson MF70, but I'm currently down to 2, kinda.
I have an Orvis Fullflex made from a Phillipson blank, and I have EF70 5-wt.

I was that way on 6'ers for awhile, but now I don't own a Phillipson 6'er. My shortest Phillipson is an MF66 (a jewel).
I do have a 6' rod, though, a Lami 5-wt, and it's also a jewel.

Post 26 Jun 2012, 10:11 • #33 
Master Guide
No exact duplicates, although I have a second Kenney 733 on order (since the next one will be from the new glass, it won't be an exact dup either, I guess). Near duplicates in configuration: Kenney 733, Studio Thin Line 743/4, Left Coast Tackle 734, and one currently on the bench, a McFarland 725 (blank)--all three piecers. Don't even own any others at the moment, except a prototype Fultz 713/4 2/2 bamboo with bamboo ferrules (for sale).

Post 26 Jun 2012, 10:32 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Because I own mostly new rods with warranties, I never really thought much about it until I quickly realized a replacement warranty is worthless to me since I love slow to medium rods and EVERY rod I own except one is now out of production and any replacement would be some whippersnapper rod that I wouldn't like. I have resigned myself to the fact that if any in my quiver broke beyond repair, I would take the new replacement and sell it to fund a used version of what I lost. But in the mean time I went the dupe route on one favorite and took an almost dupe insurance policy out on another rod I covet.

The dupe: Winston Retro 8'0" 4wt. - My original SNAPPED IN HALF for unknown reasons the second time I fished it! Luckily I was the original owner and it was repaired under warranty, (I actually called Winston from the stream almost in tears to make sure they still had Retro parts in stock). I bought the dupe on eBay not long after as an insurance policy against the inevitable lack of parts for my original. While I have no shortage of 8'0" 4wt rods, none are as slow and sweet as this Retro which is why I have two.

The almost dupe: - My absolute favorite rod in my quiver is my Winston 6'6" 3wt Retro. I own no other 6'6" rods except for an 6'6" 4wt Orvis Flea bamboo which I adore but the Retro is the rod that sees the most use of any of my many fly rods. I tried in vain to buy another "new with warranty" but that was a few years after they were discontinued and I couldn't find one. I almost pulled the trigger on more than a few used but I finally went a completely different route, I had Winston build me a spare mid and spare tip to match my rod! :)

I guess I'm doomed if I break the butt section but despite begging they wouldn't build me a new complete rod at that point in time, long after the series was discontinued.

Post 26 Jun 2012, 16:01 • #35 
Guide
So far, I have two Fenwick FF909s. One is a later production model, no serial number and didn't come with a extended butt. I bought a second one with a K serial number that came with the fighting butt. Love all my Fenwicks will eventually get more dupes.

Post 26 Jun 2012, 20:12 • #36 
Master Guide
I have two Scott g 856s, I'd buy another Scott arc 1007 if I could find one. I'd also buy another paddock lemon drop 703 if I could and the price was right.

Post 27 Jun 2012, 11:08 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
I have a 6'6" Phillipson EF 66 and a H.L. Leonard LEF 66, same blanks.And 2 fenwick HMG gff 704's ... aurelio

Post 27 Jun 2012, 17:57 • #38 
Master Guide
None.

I figure if one gets broken, stolen, whatever; I'll just get another or something similar to take its place.

There is no rod that has ever been developed that can't be replaced for fishing with another ... maybe a better one.

I can certainly understand the allure of a certain make but they're just fishing rods after all.
Can't get my head around the thought of owning the same rod in multiple.

Just my way of thinking

Post 27 Jun 2012, 20:48 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
Dylan ... words like that just might get you voted off the island ... ;-)

Post 28 Jun 2012, 02:54 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
If you see something you like, get two. I have gone by that in fly reels, pocket knives, boots, waders, outdoor clothing, shotguns, and even automobiles for 35 or 40 years and find it to be a good policy. So this is a great discussion to look over.

For some reason, I never applied the policy to fly rods, except for duplicates of various beater rods that were back-ups and loaners. I have never needed the duplicates myself, but just recently two fishing partners have needed knockabout graphite 6 weights and I had just the thing to give them. So we have joint ownership of duplicates we need, but not that much.

Variant form duplicates are good; I have that in my first generation System 5 graphites, but that was by accident and they aren't that special. I like the variant form dups described by some above--same blank in different dress and label. I should have duplicated my 6/7 weight Fisher, but I was lucky to get one blank like that 25 years ago. Same for the Fisher 5 weight I was lucky enough to come by more recently. Won't search for duplicates but would grab one if it came to me, which sometimes happens with rods if you don't look for them but keep your eyes open. That's why I have a ringer for a System 5 I built on an unlabled 'glass blank I ran across. Just recently I ran across a mint System 5 at a bargain price and snatched it right up. So those are near duplicates. But I don't fish that type of rod very often and could fish happily without either one, as I did for 25 years.

There is a pragmatic reason for duplicates in some cases. If you fish from a boat or canoe, it is often handy to have two or three rods all set up except with different flies so you can capitalize rapidly on a changed circumstance. If you just love one 6 weight river rod, for example, one would be rigged with a dry fly, one with a nymph, and another with an emerger, each, lets say, imitating the same insect in its different forms. I recall a great post by someone here who does that with his favorite Fenwick FF806s. A man could have two or three 6 weights, slightly different, and do the same thing, but if he really favors one in particular, it makes sense to have multiples of the favorite and use them all. This is the strategy I would commend to Dylan so as to be less at risk of banishment as Donny joked.

So that plan is to have dups to use, not one to stash away just in case of breakage, mindful that some favorite 'glass rods are not at all easy to replace. If you want duplicates, it would be best to get them almost simultaneously, especially with rare or small production current rods that promise to be special, like the Morgans or Kinneys.

Otherwise, being supertitious, this could be why I am reluctant to phase in a duplicate spare of any favorite 'glass rod. My experience with duplicate spare parts--for automobiles or fly reels, for instance--is that if you don't have them you never need them, but if you get them, you do. I have lots of spare parts for one of my favorite autos that I had duplicates of for about 20 years. Sure enough, I usually needed the parts, but I had so many spare parts that now I still have some of them and not even the cars to need them for. So having the spare parts just promoted needing another spare car. And whenever I went for three of them, I was very soon back to two.

So I lean toward this paradox as to my favorite 'glass rods. If I got serious about dup spares of my Fishers, this curse of the spares would probably put me right back to one anyhow, or even none.

Last edited by whrlpool on 28 Jun 2012, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post 28 Jun 2012, 10:48 • #41 
Master Guide
I still have a number of graphite rods around that have warranties so never felt the need for a back up. When I got into fishing fiberglass and started looking at older and discontinued models that couldn't be replaced in case of an accident I found a greater need for back ups. Currently I have a pair of the Hardy/Sceptre 7' 3-5wt rods that were sold by Angler's Mail, and two of the Lamiglas Honey 7'-6" 4wt's in the discontinued 6-piece configuration.

Post 28 Jun 2012, 16:08 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
whrlpool wrote:
There is a pragmatic reason for duplicates in some cases. If you fish from a boat or canoe, it is often handy to have two or three rods all set up except with different flies so you can capitalize rapidly on a changed circumstance. If you just love one 6 weight river rod, for example, one would be rigged with a dry fly, one with a nymph, and another with an emerger, each, lets say, imitating the same insect in its different forms. I recall a great post by someone here who does that with his favorite Fenwick FF806s. A man could have two or three 6 weights, slightly different, and do the same thing, but if he really favors one in particular, it makes sense to have multiples of the favorite and use them all.

I agree with the thoughts posted by whrlpool. Almost all my rods are in pairs (versus duplicates), matched with accompanying pairs of the same reel and spools. I rig one rod with a floating line (e.g. dry flies) and the other rod with a sinking or sink tip line (e.g. nymphs, streamers).

I started this practice after my first float trip down the Bow River out of Calgary. On subsequent trips, having one rod rigged with a floating line and a second rod rigged with a sinking line resulted in have far more time with a fly on/in the water. I have extended this practice to wade fishing.

The one caveat is when wade fishing and there are other fisherman around, then I am not comfortable leaving one of the rods propped up against a tree on the bank while I am out in the river. In those cases I go with a single rod.

Andrew.

(As I posted perviously in this topic, I do have one set of true triplicates - my Fenwick yellow glass 8' - 6 wt. rods, and I am looking to add a FF79 to the set. I also have a FF806-4 with 2 tips.)

Post 28 Jun 2012, 18:23 • #43 
Guide
I have two Fenwick FF705, one modified to 6'11" by Bob Summers, and the other, an unfished M model. I like the action of this blank. Interestingly, the two rods are fairly similar in action.

Post 30 Apr 2016, 14:32 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
I'm reviving an old thread here.

I just purchased a backup FF84, and have duplicate Phillipson Epoxite 8' and 8'6" rods with slightly different tapers (but close enough in my book to be duplicates) and an a few duplicate Fenwicks (FF806, FL96-6 and duplicate FF70's), but not for backup, just because they were a good deal and I can't seem to pass up a good Fenwick.

Post 30 Apr 2016, 16:14 • #45 
Master Guide
3 Sceptres 7'....................I just missed out on a Leonard 38 H. it would have been a dupe.I will have another if the price is right!
Mike

Post 30 Apr 2016, 16:35 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
I have all the Cabelas prime rods, but like the 7'1" enough that I picked up a backup.

Barry

Post 30 Apr 2016, 17:21 • #47 
Guide
Two each Lamiglas S glass in,7', 7'6" and 8'. Love them.

Post 30 Apr 2016, 17:28 • #48 
Guide
I have two Fenwick FF806 . They seem to go fishing more than any other rods I own. I would like to double up on a FF70 and a FF79.

Post 30 Apr 2016, 17:29 • #49 
Guide
Have two Diamondglass 8ft. 4wt., 2 piece. One a factory build and the other built out by Andrew Manchester. Would gladly add a third, my favourite rod.

Post 30 Apr 2016, 18:21 • #50 
Guide
Duplicates:
Berkeley PS-40 8'6" 3 pc
Garcia-Conolon N-547A 7'6" 5 pc

Not exactly a duplicate but close enough : Steffen 5/6 8'6" and 8'3" 3 pc

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply