It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:57

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Jul 2009, 16:54 • #1 
Inactive
I will once again be having a summer rod gathering. The dates are August 28, 29, and 30th. As with the past two gatherings, the event will be at The Feathered Hook in Coburn, PA. The legendary Penn's Creek is just across the street and other great streams are a short drive away. Fishing this time of year will probably be mainly tricos and terrestrials. We have had good rain fall and cool nights so the streams should be in better shape than in past years. Everyone is encouraged to bring their favorite rods regardless of brand or material. As you can probably guess the event will have a strong glass rod presence, but there will also be lots of bamboo on hand.

The schedule will be similar to past events:
Friday:
Check in any time from late morining on. Meet and greet other guests. Cast rods, fish, etc. Dinner for Friday will be seasoned shrimp boil with corn-on-the-cob, sausages, and potatoes. For those who don't eat seafood, we will have other options.
Saturday:
Excellent breakfast provide by Feathered Hook. Most people head out to the stream for a while. Some others like myself can't be bothered to fish with so many great rods on hand to cast. I spend most of the day casting rods and talking. Lunch on saturday will most likely be my wife's famous shiskabobs served with rice, etc. Later will be a great steak dinner.
Sunday:
Breakfast by Feathered Hook. More fishing, casting rods, etc. Lunch will be probably be chili, homemade rolls, etc.

In addition to the meals mentioned we will also have homemade pies, cookies, and other goodies for dessert as well as beer, wine, and possibly a bottle or two of single malt if you are into that sort of thing.

The cost for the event is $180 and includes all meals and lodging for Friday and Saturday night. There is a limited amount of space to stay at the Feathered Hook and spots usually fill quickly.

If you are interested in joining us just for the day on Saturday there is no charge and lunch is free. Everyone is welcome to stop in, say hello, cast rods, etc. Just let me know if you plan to attend so we can plan for lunch. Please respond to me via PM is you are interested in joining us.

Thanks,
Mike McFarland

Post 05 Aug 2009, 09:20 • #2 
Inactive
We currently have 3 spots remaining for the Summer Gathering. If interested send a PM.

Thanks,
Mike

Post 06 Aug 2009, 13:02 • #3 
Master Guide
Hi guys, Wanted to say I really look forward to these weekends, as I have made many great new friends, got a rod or two from Mr. Mcfarland, basically these are my away trips in my backyard. Like to see who will be there, what rods are available to test cast, I am offering a great 2 piece Orvis Far and Fine 7'9" 5 wght for sell(Want a 4 piece version), and will bring my 4 Mcfarland rods for all to cast, fish, you really need to try my 7'2" 4 wght parabolic Spruce Creek glass it is very sweet small stream rod with power. Touch base if you have questions, and if this is your first visit to The Feathered Hook it does not get any better than this weekend.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Aug 2009, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

Post 23 Aug 2009, 23:31 • #4 
Guide
5 more days! Haven't been able to wet a line in almost 3 weeks since returning from 2 weeks in Colorado - Jonesin' bad - work's been kicking my butt. Anyway, this'll be my third get-together at a McFarland Gathering - great hosts, great setting, great food, and really great people - a lot of fun. If any of you are able to stop by on Sat. it'd be great to cast some more rods with folks on the Forum. I'll bring out my usual bunch of bamboo and glass, and there's always some great rods to cast that I haven't seen or cast before. Really looking forward to casting Mike's new yellow rods.
Regards, Steve

Post 24 Aug 2009, 08:05 • #5 
I would like to come for the day on Saturday. I will bring some of my glass fly rod's to cast. Can you give me an address so I can get directions off my computer. Thanks, Henry Wagner

Post 24 Aug 2009, 08:33 • #6 
Master Guide
For the locals ... How's the streams now? Water temps, hatches, etc.? I plan to be there for Saturday, I hope to get some very early morning fishing in nearby ... most likely Penn's Creek. I would like to be in waders at daybreak. Anyone interested in the early morning, let me know. I'll be coming from NY, in the dark! -Fred

Post 24 Aug 2009, 09:41 • #7 
Master Guide
Fred, my suggestion is to call Jonas at The Feathered Hook 814 349 8757 Living here in State College I have travelled with folks from Coburn back home to Spring Creek, which I can fish 24/7, so this year I promised myself to stay at Penns and learn more about that water. Many individuals will be there to offer advice so depending on any last change of plans that occur Friday eve I may join you. Ants, beetles, generic nymphs such as Walt's worm, Green weenies, etc. Jonas the owner of the Shop always lays out a pile of suggested flies(Smart business tactic) on the table in the shop. This is a very precision style stream

Last edited by Guest on 24 Aug 2009, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

Post 24 Aug 2009, 11:07 • #8 
Administrator
Henry,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! Check the Feathered Hook website for address, phone number, and stream conditions. This link should get you to Google Maps which will lead you in. I attended the spring Gathering and didn't get lost too badly. And I'm terrible with directions.

The more glass fly rods, the better.

Tom

Post 24 Aug 2009, 11:21 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
fred1369 wrote:
I'll be coming from NY, in the dark! -Fred
Fred,

If you do indeed get there at daybreak to fish,
be sure to hit the Feathered Hook for breakfast.
the put on a really nice spread, that is not to be missed.

On vacation on the Carolina Outer Banks this week,
and can't make it. Wicked bummer.
(the surf fishing is very slow so far. Bill stirred things up quite a bit!)

Post 30 Aug 2009, 23:52 • #10 
Guide
This was a lot of fun, as usual. Mike, and Jonas and Jim from the Feathered Hook, are great hosts, and it was really nice to finally meet Fred and see some old friends like Jeff and Bob. I do need to add that I wasn't able to resist ordering one of Mike's new yellow blank rods, an 8'2" 4 wt. that for me was just phenomenal - very similar feel to Mike's 8' 5wt. taper, maybe a touch softer, but could really pick up some line. Also, tried a couple of new tapers in the yellow glass, a really light and wonderful 7' 2 wt. and a 7' 5 wt. that were just as nice.
A great time.
Regards,
Steve

Post 31 Aug 2009, 12:34 • #11 
Hello All, I just wanted to say thank's to Mike and the girl's, Jonas and Jim for the outstanding hospitality and the fantastic lunch's and dinner's, I have not ate as well since the last gathering. I was able to actually get some fishing in this time altho I had to dodge a few rain drop's here and there. It was nice to see the people that I met from the last gathering and met with a lot of new one's this time. I'm looking foward to the next gathering already. Best Regard's to everyone there. Mark

Post 31 Aug 2009, 12:49 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
pics!

we want PICS!

Post 31 Aug 2009, 14:03 • #13 
Guide
Would just like to mirror everyone else's sentiments (have already emailed Mike). It was a fantastic gathering in spite of the weather. I have to say that Mike's new yellow glass 7' 5wt. 3pc. was sweeeeet! I will be ordering one here in the very near future. Corlay sorry you missed it. Scotch and bourbon selections were phenomenal.

Post 02 Sep 2009, 13:26 • #14 
Master Guide
... yup, i agree with everyone ... and yup, i too wound up ordering one of mike's yellow sticks ... a 7 ft., 5 wt., 3 pc ... he truly is a genius with glass tapers ... and if you all don't mind my saying so, his bamboo rods were equally well designed and constructed ... bill franke and i tried unsuccessfully to get him to sell ... i suggest we keep a keen eye out for future boo from this guy ... I certainly will ...

Post 03 Sep 2009, 02:48 • #15 
Administrator
Fellows ... I can't wait to hear more reports and see some photos already!

Bob ... great to hear you slipping again and spending money. That seven foot three piece five weight is something special for sure.

Post 03 Sep 2009, 15:27 • #16 
Master Guide
... hey Cam ... the truth is Mike made me ... even twisted my arm ...

Post 04 Sep 2009, 06:41 • #17 
Administrator
Bob ... I'm sure doses of Scotch/Bourbon/Whiskey was involved too, eh? HA ...

Post 06 Sep 2009, 02:20 • #18 
Master Guide
... Seriously, no substances were involved in my decision what-so-ever ... I was quite surprised at the rod's performance ... As you know, many of the streams/rivers I frequent are in the relatively medium to large range (e.g., Delaware River and E&W Branches, Salmon River, Penns, AuSable, etc.) and hold equally large fish ... Therefore, distance and power can often be an advantage ... In the past, I would never have taken a 7 foot, 5 weight rod with me ... Needless to say, I WILL NOW ... When you get the chance, you need to try his 7 foot, 7 weight as well ... It's another short rod with a remarkable taper ... I'm willing to bet the we could easily fish +95% of the waters from Maine to California armed only with these two rods ... Bob

Post 08 Sep 2009, 12:00 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
I think your right on, a 4/5wt and a 7/8wt weight rod would fish just about any water in the lower 48 and most likely most of the world as well. Couple that with the rods being multi piece and 7ft and your getting into some fine carryone rods if you fly alot. Ive one of the 7wt blanks on the way and cant wait to play with it, looks like Mike as another nice series of rods. By the Way "Where's the Pictures?" readers want to know!
Richard

Post 08 Sep 2009, 15:21 • #20 
Inactive
Ok, here are some pics from the Gathering.

JASTrout and Flyfishingshaman relaxing with some Oban.

Bob4st seems to be enjoying the shiskabobs.

Jim Downes shows me the stressful life of being a full-time rodmaker in Coburn, PA.

Charlie Meck is always ready to tell a story.

Dean W. from Mi and I trying to decide between Oban and Dalwhinnie. An easier decision for me was to wear my favorite t-shirt.

The front porch got a good workout all weekend.

And of course we cast some rods.

How many places can you cast right in the middle of main street? From L-R; Glen Blackwood of Great Lakes Fly Fishing Co, Mike McFarland, Bob4st, SAltsh, fred1369, Joe S. from MI, Jonas Price (with the kiddie butterfly net).

Now for some rods:

The definite fan favorite of the weekend was the 7' 5wt in yellow glass. I built this one for myself so I used a sweet piece of burled birch that I had been saving for 3 years. Of course, I ended up selling it and it is on its way to CA right now.

Another unique rod is this one I built on a Scott F79 yellow glass blank. As you can see, I made it as a 3 piece rather than the 2 piece with internal sleeves.

Here is another nice rod from the Scott stash of blanks. This is an F71 that was marked as "too strong" because the tip had been trimmed too far. However, this blank stood out from the rest to me and really felt great. I cut and ferruled it as a 2 piece and left out the internal sleeves. The action is great and it throws a 5wt just about as far as you could want.

Like always there was a lot of eating, drinking, casting and story telling. Lots of fine glass and bamboo to try as well. I hope everyone had a great time. I know I sure did.

Post 08 Sep 2009, 15:58 • #21 
Administrator
Mike ... now that's what I've been waiting for! Great photographs and thanks for repping T.F.M. I appreciate it! Looks like I missed out on another good time. I need to sneak out of the house for the next one.

Post 09 Sep 2009, 02:06 • #22 
Master Guide
Good company, glass & bamboo fly rods, food and drink, what more could a person ask for? Looks like you guys had a great time. Great photos, I especially like the one of the guys standing in the street casting. Heck if I tried that here I'd get run over by a bus full of tourist gawking at the locals.

Post 09 Sep 2009, 13:43 • #23 
Guide
Cam,

you and me both ... the schedule on these weekend hasnt been doable for me to get up there ... i shouldn't have an excuse b/c it's only 2.5hr away.

i'll make an offer ... you to fly to Philly airport (40-50min from me) ... i'll get you up and back ...

-matt

New Topic Add Reply