It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:52

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Jul 2009, 08:34 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
So, if you're on the FFR forum here, I think we can safely say you're pretty passionate about fly fishing.

I'm curious what other interests are you equally (if not more) passionate about? I assume we're a fairly well-rounded bunch here.

Me? Road cycling when the roads are dry; telemark skiing in powder; and I always enjoy a good game of chess. One of these days, I'm gonna try to ski, ride, and fish in 1 day: a tri-fecta! Image

Post 17 Jul 2009, 09:26 • #2 
Guide
I work and fish--fly, spin, bait casting. I enjoy my job, graphic designer. So, I get paid for one of my passions and then spend it all on the other one. I also enjoy playing golf (not good at all) and basketball. Both kids play basketball, so if I'm not fishing I'm probably at a basketball game.

Post 17 Jul 2009, 10:13 • #3 
Emeritus
Unfortunately for a poor guy I have too many other interests. I have been collecting Beatles memorabilia for more years than I have been fishing. I also collect 60s-70s country rock groups music; Gram Parsons, Buffalo Springfield, Poco and Flying Burrito Bros. to name a few. I've been known to hop a plane for a one night concert in another state. I also collect fly fishing postage stamps because they are works of art to me.

Me and Richie Furay of Buffalo Springfield and Poco and now a Calvary Church pastor in Broomfield, CO.

ImageImage

Post 17 Jul 2009, 11:50 • #4 
Master Guide
Like Cofisher I like the old southern rock Gram Parsons was raised in my little town.I also play guitar Martin D17 ,I'm a hack.Wood carving ,camping and my beloved Smith & Wessons.My kids inheritance is being spent well.

Post 17 Jul 2009, 12:37 • #5 
Master Guide
Horses, my warmblood and the wifes Arab and six ponies, Smith & Wessons, shotguns, rifles, canoes, thirty years Boilermaker, 1-2 safe million mile trucker, fine furniture maker, commercial/instrument pilot, books,books,books, fishing stuff up the ying yang, latest project as of this last week, making rod bags. Danged if they didn't come out good. Gonna sell em and get rich. (Boy, are they a lot of work and do they take a long time.) That's the way it was with furniture and clocks. Takes an awfully long time to get the right result. Glenn

Post 17 Jul 2009, 13:17 • #6 
Master Guide
Can eating be a hobby?

Post 17 Jul 2009, 14:32 • #7 
Emeritus
I tie flies.
Also, I play softball. I am getting a lot slower as I get older but I can still hit BOMBS.

Post 17 Jul 2009, 14:38 • #8 
Guide
I'm lucky that my job is also my favorite hobby: the teaching and study of architecture. After that photography, cooking, and when it's not to hot mountain biking.

Post 17 Jul 2009, 17:14 • #9 
Guide

I also spin fish a lot and in the winter I put quite a bit of effort into icefishing. I hunt in the fall, a good source for fly tying material. I carve some fish as I've shown in photos on this forum, I hope someday to do a lot more of that.

My main not fishing related "hobby" is gardening. My brother in law and myself have a large garden, roughly 200 x 50 feet. Lots of time spent in there planting, weeding and just basically tending to the plants. This summer has been wet and between my BIL dealing with a sinus infection and me being away fishing some the weeds have gotten a little ahead of us the past two weeks. Hopefully I can get some of them back under control. Had grilled zucchini tonight for supper ... Mmmmmmm ... I think I'll have cucumbers and potatoes tomorrow.

Tim

Post 18 Jul 2009, 01:39 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
In Winter, I hang up my fly fishing gear;
and do a fair amount of Nordic Skiing;
always with my Husky/Border Collie/Shepperd mix along for the romp.
Last year, my 8yr. old Son and I took up snowboarding.
At 40, I was definitely one of the oldest dudes on the mountain with a 'board.

Lately, I've engaged in a short-term obsession: building and overclocking a computer.
Treading all new ground, I've used various internet forums as an invaluble resourse;
and am just about finished with a computer that cost ~ 1/2 as much as buying one retail;
and will be ~2x faster. Although, once I complete this task, I plan to never revisit this "hobby"
again. It's very meticulous and maddening work - not the acutal building, but the overclocking process.

About a year ago, I decided to put my self-taught, novice computer programming skills to work,
and teamed-up with a forum acquantaince, to form our own company selling plug-in applets for
building design CAD software. With the economy the way it is now, business has been very slow,
but the process of starting a little internet company from the ground-up, has been both fun,
and also a good learning experience.
You can check us out here, if you care to:
www.cadaptation.com

Aside from that,
I'm a semi-regular runner, I play occasional Tennis, love to hike and camp with an old Coleman pop-up trailer,
and enjoy innovating and designing things. (I'm a registered Architect).

And, of course, playing with my two Kids.
(that's the most important "hobby" of all ... )

Post 18 Jul 2009, 05:23 • #11 
Guide
Killing petulant teenagers (with much faster computers, than mine) in Call of Duty.
-Jim

Post 18 Jul 2009, 11:11 • #12 
Emeritus
Well, I collect these guys.

Figural jugs from the Hewells a couple hours south of my home in Western NC. Made by Grace Nell, the gifted 70's-something matriarch, and her family

The big guy on the left is marked "Andrew Jackson" in script on the back (a beloved- and reviled- future prez in the South both for his wartime heroics, and his efforts to exterminate the mighty Creeks and other Native Americans during the War of 1812)

Anne says this guy (my favorite) bears a striking resemblance to yours truly

The owl is also from Grace Nell. The pigs are from Mr. "Jug" Smith, master potter, long deceased. Anne got the small piggy bank as a youth and I got the larger casserole from my mom. Whoops, it has a lead-based glaze- no cooking in this thing

Post 18 Jul 2009, 11:16 • #13 
Emeritus
Kevin I love the Hewell pieces and would love to hear the story about how she got started doing what I call the 9 angry men.

Post 18 Jul 2009, 15:13 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Not necessarily in order ... cooking/eating, finding value priced red wines that drink like $25.00 bottles ( see first entry in list), big game hunting, bird hunting/dog training, ice fishing, watching Western movies (both old and new) and reading fiction. Golf used to be on the list but fishing has pushed it off for now. Whew!

wacokid54

Post 18 Jul 2009, 16:57 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I do community theatre, act, write, direct. Just did a show with a bunch of kids from a nearby town, fell in love with all of em, what an experience!
Also have a 72 Fiat 124 Spider I am busy fixing up, it only moves a few miles every year but I love every mile of it.
I do fish a LOT, my dogs love it, my kids love it, my grandson loves it.
Life is good.
Keith

Post 19 Jul 2009, 03:53 • #16 
Global Moderator
As my screen name implies ... this is my other hobby. I have pared down my interests over the years in order to spend more of my available time (and $$$) on those that I enjoy the most.

Thanks for looking!

Doug

Post 19 Jul 2009, 08:13 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
In my case being a Boy Scout leader (not sure if its a hobby, but it takes a fair bit of time), canoeing--often without a rod in the boat, swimming, hunting when I can. As the quote below indicates, I like almost anything involving water.

Post 21 Jul 2009, 12:58 • #18 
Hello All , Some of my other interests are photography , road biking , target shooting with handgun's , pit crew on a friend's race car , sprint car's , drag racing , collecting old book's , reading those old book's , camping and being outdoor's - hopefuly somewhere near some small brookie stream. Mark.

Post 22 Jul 2009, 03:47 • #19 
Sport
I enjoy biking when I can-single speed and cyclocross. I'm an off/on serious runner (is that a contradiction?). I love rock climbing, but haven't found a close by spot in the new location yet. I also do quite a bit of knitting when not rod building. Other than that I try to spend as much time outdoors with my dog, a Vizsla, as possible.

Post 22 Jul 2009, 06:48 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Nijinski wrote:
I'm an off/on serious runner (is that a contradiction?)

I'm kinda streaky about certain interests as well. There'll be times when all I want to do is road bike and nothing else, and then I get sick of it and all I want to do is fish, and then so on. . . .

Post 23 Jul 2009, 02:19 • #21 
Sport
docbluedevil wrote:
Nijinski wrote:
I'm an off/on serious runner (is that a contradiction?)

I'm kinda streaky about certain interests as well. There'll be times when all I want to do is road bike and nothing else, and then I get sick of it and all I want to do is fish, and then so on. . . .
I think it's difficult, with physically demanding hobbies, to stick to them if you don't have a partner to keep you honest. I'm usually really good about making all my runs, but give me a few nasty days and missed runs, and I'm out of the cycle-if I don't have a race or something I'm working towards.

I just discovered my town DOES have a climbing gym after all ... after living here for over a year. Tis a great day.

Post 23 Jul 2009, 07:32 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah, nijinski, I know what you mean. Throw a bunch of 90+F days here in western Colorado and and lack of motivation to bike in it, and all of a sudden, my fitness starts to suffer.

Post 23 Jul 2009, 23:37 • #23 
Administrator
A hobby besides Fly Fishing? Well ... does FFR and TFM count? HA ... I'd say cooking/grilling with the wife, traveling (which usually involves fly fishing), photography, and just spending time with my children fill up my free time.

Post 24 Jul 2009, 17:42 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
like many of you, i don't have the time i'd like to devote to any of my hobbies, but i do have a few thing i love to do besides flyflshing ...
sand volleyball, mt biking and surfing are at the top of the list right next to fishing. my oldest son has started riding and playing 2 man volleyball with me a lot lately and that makes it that much better.

Post 29 Jul 2009, 23:29 • #25 
Master Guide
besides fly fishng, I also build and restore rods, bamboo and glass, sometimes (eek!) graphite. I also tie flies when needed, thought I don't enjoy it. I enjoy canoeing, birding, target shooting. I'm also an avid motorcyclist, 25 year member of the bmw owners assoc. I enjoy traveling and camping all over the US on bikes, usually taking a rod along. I also backpack, ski, both nordic and alpine, ride mountain bikes. every other year my girlfriend and I like to travel outside our border, last year going to peru and seeing machu picchu, etc. when not doing any of the above, I do carpentry to try and pay the bills!

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply