New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Jun 2009, 15:02 • #1 
Emeritus

We got the glass, too ... Image Coming soon to Fly Fish Ohio

Joe C.

Post 09 Jun 2009, 15:37 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Joe,
Should be an interesting read- I am looking forward to it.

Les

Post 09 Jun 2009, 16:09 • #3 
Administrator
I will read this review with great interest since I know all the hard work that Jim put into it to get the rods sent for review, all the juggling of getting the rods to different reviewers, and then how to compile all the information into a readable article. Can't wait to see the final piece on www.flyfishohio.com!

Post 09 Jun 2009, 17:56 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
thanks for the heads-up. please keep us posted.
-mike

Post 10 Jun 2009, 15:05 • #5 
Master Guide
looking forward to it!

Post 16 Jun 2009, 12:12 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Now thats an extremely timely subject, Ive found over the years finding a really honest 1wt almost impossible, most 1wts are extremely good 2wts, most 2wts are extremely good 2wts. Point being a 2wt seems to be a rod that can be made by many extremely well. A 2wt can do alot too, Im surely interested in this topic, hope some of our premium glass rod makers took part!
Richard

Post 03 Jul 2009, 07:32 • #7 
Emeritus
It's LIVE! The Great 2-Weight Fly Rod Shoot-Out is now live on www.flyfishohio.com. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post 03 Jul 2009, 17:41 • #8 
Master Guide
Wow! I've read most but not all of the 2wt rod reviews and you guys really out did yourselves. Awesome. By far the most comprehensive, subjective review of fly rods I have read anywhere. I always take fly rod reviews with a grain of salt because they are either done by a fly shop that sells the fly rod or a magazine/web site that accepts advertising dollars (which can obviously skew the results). Bravo for an outstanding job! All though the information is readily available for those who want to look further maybe next time you guys do a fly rod shoot out you could mention where the fly rod is manufactured. It matters to some and isn't important to others but it definitely can play a role in the "value" aspect to more than a few fly fishers.

Post 04 Jul 2009, 02:57 • #9 
Guide
Thanks for the feedback,
While I can't be entirely sure on this, I believe that the only domestically produced rods were one or two made by St. Croix, Great Bay, GreenStix and The Soutfork rod. Everything else is foriegn. China, Korea, etc.
-I hope this helps,
-Jim

Post 04 Jul 2009, 06:41 • #10 
Guide
As a proud owner of Southfork's 6'6" 2wt. I'm glad it made it into the top of the list. It is indeed a sweet little rod and I really enjoyed catching two 12" rainbows on it recently. So thanks for the review I would like to see more of them in the future.

Post 05 Jul 2009, 07:20 • #11 
Master Guide
I am not surprised that Scott, Sage, Orvis, Winston didn't want to take part in this but I wish they had. Great job guys! I met the owner of mystic a few times I think he is from Michigan? I ran into him trying to pimp his rods to a fly shop and also to me on the south branch of the Ausable. I didn't take the rods to seriously but perhaps I should have checked out his product. Thanks again for a great review to consider if I am ever in the market for a 2 weight.

Last edited by Anonymous on 05 Jul 2009, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Jul 2009, 09:16 • #12 
Emeritus
In the case of Orvis, they didn't make a product that fit the parameters of the review - a factory 2-weight under $400 MSRP. I'm not certain the others had product in that category, either. Certainly Scott and Sage would have answered the review if they had something in their arsenal, they've both had products reviewed on www.flyfishohio.com before.

Spencer, you are correct, Mystic is a Michigan concern. And if you get the chance in the future, definitely check out their product. The results of this review took me (and I think the others) totally by surprise. I don't think any of us could have predicted the order of the final line-up based on what we thought we knew going in.

The South Fork is a sweet little rod, but it's definitely an acquired taste that won't be accepted by many who have a fast casting stroke. Obviously this board tends to be populated by the exceptions! I love the rod and I'm definitely curious to see what else Dave and Margot Redington have in their glass line-up. For me it was the most comfortable rod in the line-up and compares well with my McFarland 10th Anniversary 3wt. If I didn't already own the McF I'd be shelling out the money right now to keep the S.F. around.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. This project was a real bear - lots and lots of hours invested, but I think it's something new to the industry. I've only seen a handful of reviews that compare a number of rods and none that used multiple reviewers in the way we've employed the method. This is a review profile I'm used to seeing in hobbyist audio, but not in angling. Anyway, it's gratifying to see that some folks have found it entertaining and informative. Again, thanks.

Joe C.

Post 06 Jul 2009, 17:56 • #13 
Administrator
Congratulations to the review team. I've never read another rod review like it. The comparative opinions of four different reviewers (none with industry endorsements or employment*) sets a high standard for objectivity. I hope the other review media take notice and emulate it.

Kudos to Jeremy (jkurtz7) for all those CCS measurements. That was a huge effort! Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I've never seen a rod review with CCS data before. In general, the review comments agree with the CSS measurements. Not always, but fairly close most of the time. The correlation of measurements and review comments validate CCS better than anything else I've previously seen. Again, I hope the other review media take notice!

Good job!

Tom

* I've seen "reviews" with multiple rods assessed "objectively" by multiple reviewers. The reviewers are employees of the online store posting the review. Funny, the "best" rods are generally the more expensive rods stocked by the online store. Phwtttt.

Post 09 Jul 2009, 14:57 • #14 
Administrator
FFO Staff ... great review. I enjoyed the read and it is evident how much time was put into this process.

New Topic Add Reply