It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:33

New Topic Add Reply
Lurker to member
Post 05 Apr 2009, 14:15 • #1 
Guide
Just thought I would introduct myself. I am a long time lurker and now a new member. You folks sure know Glass. I have gleamed a ton of useful information and thought it was about time to thank you. When I am not building Bamboo rods I have gone to building and fishing Glass. It rates right up there with Bamboo. The older I get the more I enjoy a nice slower action rod. Eventually when I get my quiver of Boo and Glass I am planning on dumping the plastic rods I have.

Have a Steffen Brothers blank coming in the mail and I am in the process of building a short on one piece 5'6" Glass. I cut the blank down from a 8' to 5'6". Buddy gave me the blank and you could scrape the finish off with your thumbnail. Applied 4 coats of hand rubbed Minwax wipe on Poly. Doesn't look too bad. Now if one of you could enlighten me to possible giude spacing I would appreciate it.

Lurker to member
Post 05 Apr 2009, 15:13 • #2 
Administrator
pemmel,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! It's nice that you decided to join in!

I have a Steffen 8 foot, 3 piece, 3/4 weight that I am working on. I'm not the world's best rod builder, but at least I'm slow! Which blank did you buy from Mark?

I don't think I've ever seen suggested guide spacing for a 5'6" fly rod before. I would start with the generic Fly Fisherman spacing chart. Use the spacing for the 6'6" rod, but leave off the guide at 45". Mount the guides with tape at the suggested locations and do a static test to see if they match the flex of the rod. Move them until you think they look good, then take it for a test cast. If everything is still good, wrap and finish the guides.

Tom

Lurker to member
Post 05 Apr 2009, 16:04 • #3 
Sport
Sup Pete? Image

Watch out guys, this dude is a serious boo junky Image and a great guy too. I have seen one of his boo sticks, his second I believe, nice work.

Lurker to member
Post 05 Apr 2009, 20:09 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
welcome pemmel. glad to see you've gone legit and joined us officially. ya, the slower action rods do have their attraction. let us know how that build goes. with pix! take care.
-mike

Lurker to member
Post 06 Apr 2009, 02:20 • #5 
Sport
Pete, check this link"¦

http://www.uwm.edu/~stetzer/guideN.html

Lurker to member
Post 06 Apr 2009, 03:57 • #6 
Guide
Thanks for the welcome.

Tom,
I have the same Steffen Brothers blank coming that you are building. It is suppose to ship either late last week or later this week. All depends on when Mark finishes her up. In the mean time I'll work on the 5'6" Glass and a few Bamboo builds. Really like the look of a Steffen Brothers blank. It should make for a nice retro looking build. Eventually I hope to build a Steffen Bros., Mcfarland and a Tom Morgan. I have seen pictures of the Tom Morgan blank and they are beautiful. The McFarlands have a show room finish on them also. Still waiting to see pictures of a McFarland a friend just finished up.

Darrin,
Good to see you on the forum. Didn't I read that you are going to build a Lamiglas? We gotta get those plastic rods out of your hands. Glass and Boo are the way to go. They really make for a nice relaxing day. Just remember to slow everything down.

Pete

Lurker to member
Post 06 Apr 2009, 05:00 • #7 
Sport
Yeah Pete. I've got the blank and reel seat. Cork rings are on order as are several thread spools. Not sure on thread color yet. Mrs. Flybob will be making a rod sock for her and Stanbery is going to turn the grip for me. Probably similar to the one he just finished, but with some burl cork instead of all light/dark mix. Plus the TruOil finish. I thought he was doing a CA finish like Terry uses, but he's been playing with the TruOil instead. In the pics at least, it looks similar to the CA finish, very glossy.

Lurker to member
Post 06 Apr 2009, 05:54 • #8 
Guide
Darrin

Which blank did you get? The Traditional Honey or the Spring Creek? Bill did up a great looking retro looking Traditional Honey for the rod swap last year.

CA on cork? I figured it would finish too hard for cork and end up cracking. Shows what I know. You can PM me the details on the other forum. Don't need to bother these guys with my addiction.
Pete

Lurker to member
Post 06 Apr 2009, 07:03 • #9 
Sport
Trad. Honey, 7'0", 3wt 2pc.

There's builders here too you know. Image

CA is what TH uses on those fancy grips of his. Of course had you made the meeting last month you'd know all this. Nod, nod, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

I am curious to see how Jon's choice of TruOil finish holds up. I am not certain I want my grip to be as glossy as the one jon is doing for himself. I may just ask for two coats instead of four. I do want to be able to feel the texture of the cork. We'll see.

Last edited by Anonymous on 06 Apr 2009, 07:10, edited 1 time in total.

Lurker to member
Post 06 Apr 2009, 10:39 • #10 
Master Guide
Darrin, most of my cork grips are Tru- Oiled. I wet sand after each coat with 600 grit, wipe down and rub in another. Usually 6 or so coats. After about a week, I go over it with steel wool. Knocks down the sheen so it's a nice color and protected. With todays cork, I don't want any filler falling out and have to re do it later.
Past couple years though, I make rattan grips. Better looking in my opinion and great feel.

Lurker to member
Post 06 Apr 2009, 14:17 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Pemmel, Welcome aboard. This is a great site with friendly folks that are always willing to lend a helping hand. You keep referring to graphite rods as plastic rods. Both fiberglass and graphite are technically plastics, however, fiberglass is even more so a plastic than graphite or carbon fibre is.

Lurker to member
Post 06 Apr 2009, 14:22 • #12 
Sport
Thanks for the feedback on the TruOil finish, Mojorising. The only grips with a finish at all like that, that I have handled, are the ones that Terry Henson makes with CA. Those are very cool in that you can feel all the texture of the burl cork.

Lurker to member
Post 07 Apr 2009, 01:32 • #13 
Guide
gearboy,

As a Bamboo rod builder, we refer to anything other than Bamboo (Grass) as plastic. I just can't get myself to lower the standards on Glass and refer to it as plastic. So I refer to rods in three catagories: Grass, Glass, and plastic. Just a little slap in the face of the Graphite boys and girls. Its a running joke on another forum. Its me against the graphite crowd, over there Image.

Last edited by pemmel on 07 Apr 2009, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

Lurker to member
Post 09 Apr 2009, 15:26 • #14 
Guide
Pemmel,
Welcome. Don't build but like reading threads fm those who do. Learn quite a bit that way. While I don't build I do own a couple of McFarland's; one glass the other graphite. Love both. Sort of wondering what Steffen Bros. look like like to see what you do with your blank.

New Topic Add Reply