It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:07

New Topic Add Reply
Posting up
Post 27 Mar 2009, 18:12 • #1 
Sport
Hey all.

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I've been flyfishing for about 2 years now and last year started building the occasional rod. I am currently building my fourth rod, a Batson 6'6" 2wt 4pc. The blank for my next build is in transit. That would be the one prompted me to sign on here. It's a Lami Fiberglass Fly 7'0" 3wt 2pc. This will be my first glass stick, so I still do not know whether I'll like fishing them. I dig the look of glass and the one glass stick I've casted really had me interested.

Last year I read one of Cameron's posts on another board about a Scott F, 3wt I think. Anyway, after a couple PMs with him he recommended the Lami honey yellow blanks and suggested I check this board out. That led me here, and finally to the build I've been waiting for. With the creeks of the west slope of the Sierra soon to open, I figured it was finally time to build on a glass blank. I hope to have it ready for the opener on April 25. I've a reel seat with spalted maple burl ordered as well as the blank. I've arranged with a friend of mine to turn a grip for me, and another to make a rod sock. I must say that I am feeling pretty jazzed about this considering I've never fished glass.

Looking forward to checking out the rest of the board here.

Darrin

Posting up
Post 28 Mar 2009, 04:31 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Darin,
Welcome, I think your first attempt at a glass rod is excellent. Should be a real pleasure on the waters in your area. I would caution you that this one won't be your last. Again, welcome, enjoy the neighbor hood, there are a lot of great people here. Respectfully rvreclus

Posting up
Post 28 Mar 2009, 10:46 • #3 
Guide
Welcome aboard Darrin. There if definitely alot of info at your disposal here and you will quickly find out alot of characters also. Characters in a good way Image Please post some pics of your fishing adventures once your streams open. The Sierras always intrigue me. Later, Thom

Posting up
Post 28 Mar 2009, 17:32 • #4 
Sport
Characters? I never imagined! Image
As for fishing adventures in the Sierra, here's a few from last year -
There's a creek here, trust me:

Oh, here it is:

And it's full of these little guys:

Other creeks near and far also have their share:

Meanwhile, down in the rivers we find guys like these:

I took a buddy fishing about a month ago. His first time on the water in 6 months. He catches the biggest trout of his life:

By the way, the Lami blank was waiting on my doorstep whem I got back from the lake this evening. Image

Posting up
Post 28 Mar 2009, 17:58 • #5 
Guide
Great pics Darrin! Your buddy caught himself one heck of a trout. Those creeks look like alot of fun. -Thom

Posting up
Post 28 Mar 2009, 17:58 • #6 
Administrator
Darrin Terry ... welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! Great photos ... and can't wait to see what you're going to do with that Lamiglas blank.

Posting up
Post 28 Mar 2009, 18:27 • #7 
Sport
Thanks guys. I love little creeks. They have some of the prettiest trout in them. Big fish are fun too, but creeks are my favorite. Brookies, bows, browns"¦all fun, but brook trout are special.

I gotta finish the 2wt first, but am looking forward to the 3wt build. Can't wait to fish them both. Image

Posting up
Post 28 Mar 2009, 19:18 • #8 
Sport
Darrin,

Glad you found your way here ...

I am familiar with your work from the other two forums we belong too Image

Nice set of pictures ... I guess I should have done the proper introduction thing also.

Now have fun flipping through the 70+ pages of info on reels, rods, etc ...

B.

Posting up
Post 07 Apr 2009, 19:25 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
those are some sweet pix darrin (aside from that ugly bottom fish). a few of those you could easily frame. nothing like the colors of a healthy brookie! anyway, welcome aboard. and way to start posting with style.
-mike

New Topic Add Reply