It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:43

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Just saying hello
Post 22 Feb 2009, 15:41 • #1 
Sport
I'm not sure if I actually signed up an account here, or I had a Yuku account from another board. But have seen this place, and thought I'd join in.

Some of you probably know me. I'm a moderator on WFF.com. But I'm a lifelong glass rod fisherman. Both gear and fly that is.

I'm a fenwick man. All I fish in the glass department. I have about 45-50 of them. All "fenwick" made rods (pre buyouts). Some I bought new, some I've bought used. I wouldn't say I'm a collector, I just love using them. Still have my "I'm a fenwick man" patches (the standard and the expert flyfisherman one).

Not really looking for a specific rod. Just here to say hello, maybe share some stuff.

BTW, I'm mostly a salmon and steelhead fisherman fishing the rivers here in the NW.

Just saying hello
Post 22 Feb 2009, 16:14 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
hello and welcome! Some of your fellow steelheaders ought to show up soon.

Les

Just saying hello
Post 22 Feb 2009, 17:08 • #3 
Master Guide
Welcome aboard ... I was raised with steelhead, 10 wt fenwicks and shooting heads ... still a big fenwick fan. When I was young, if you were serious about catching steelhead on the fly ... you swung a Fenwick ...

Just saying hello
Post 22 Feb 2009, 17:25 • #4 
Master Guide
Steelheader-

What is your favorite Fenwick for salmon? I usually target sockeye and coho.

I do have four Fenwicks, but I don't think I have any heavy enough for salmon yet.

Just saying hello
Post 22 Feb 2009, 21:28 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
welcome aboard! good to have another PNW boy. i live on the wet side of WA as well. i'm a huge fan of fenwick rods myself, though i only have half a dozen or so nowadays. all very nice fishing tools though. any "lifelong glass rod fisherman" will fit in great here. do you stoop to chum fishing in the fall? it's one of my guilty pleasures. and do you target the SRCs (searun cutts)? just got a new 9wt fenwick (FL102-9) rod for salmon this past fall and took it out the friday the rivers went WAY out, so i didn't even get to wet a line. i'm looking forward to your steelhead input. take care.
-mike

Just saying hello
Post 23 Feb 2009, 05:04 • #6 
Emeritus
Welcome Steelheader69, glad you're in.

Just a Fenwick Lad here- with only two small Fens for mountain trout- but I did pick up the standard patch

Just saying hello
Post 23 Feb 2009, 15:55 • #7 
Sport
My prefered rod has always been my FF9010. I have had some tussles with some big kings, so like having that little extra "umph" when I have one on. I do fish for chum, but I fish for most of the salmon in the rivers I fish (I have property on the Wynoochee River). But I fish mostly for Silvers, Kings, Chum,and Steelhead on the fly. I don't do much saltwater, so don't hit alot of SRC's. But do hit a few of their brethern in the rivers, and some Dolly's as well (love to fish the Hoh, my favorite river I'd say). But when I pull my gear rods out, I'll pull out my ols FS89C and target Sturgeon. I actually use my old glass rods quite a bit, even in my gear aspect. But I do have alot of traditional graphites too of course. I'm a gear whorder, so have most of my old rods. Still have my old FS85C with 5001C on it that was my first drift rod. Bought it with my paperroute money back in the late 70's.

I almost forgot. I do have an old lamiglas glass flyrod. It's one of my glass 9wts. Forgot about having that one.

Yeah, have that patch too. I also have the other patch (more of the gold/brown in color). Now, my Dad has the collection of fenwicks. Has the pre feralite rods. Think he has one of each FS85C from the time they had metal ferrules until they were sold out. When I say all types, I mean the old orangish looking blanks with metal ferrules, then the first feralites, then of course different eyes (carbolite, then the different types of ceramic eyed ones). I'd say he has over 150 or so fenwicks.

Just saying hello
Post 23 Feb 2009, 16:03 • #8 
Administrator
Steelheader69 ... welcome to Fiberglass Flyrodders! I can't wait to see some photos now.

Just saying hello
Post 23 Feb 2009, 19:14 • #9 
Sport
Cameron, do you want photos of the rods, or of the rods and fish? I've never taken alot of pics while fishing. But could take some. If you want pics of the rods, can do. Image

Oh, and Arctic. I should've said you can get by with an 8wt. My old FF858 has put me through alot of salmon and steelhead. Caught most of the species I've targeted, just a bit undergunned for kings.

Oh, and I should add that alot of my rods aren't "pristine" or "Mint". I think my smaller trout ones are my only really nice ones, mostly because I never did alot of trout fishing. Most are well used, but well loved.

Just saying hello
Post 25 Feb 2009, 07:39 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome Jerry! Glad to see you here!

You moderate a very fine forum as well! : ) I know several friends in there prefer soft sticks too ... we need to introduce the figerglass rods to them.
I agree with Cameron, photo are more than welcome, fish, rods or food shoot!
Mark

Just saying hello
Post 25 Feb 2009, 14:20 • #11 
Sport

Me cooking at one of our yearly events on the Cowlitz.

We were flooded out a couple weeks ago. So grabbed one of my old driftrods (Fenwick glass rod of course) and made a fun picture. And no, didn't catch anything, though fish were coming through my driveway there.

My cooking setup from last summers event. My driftboat in the background. Didn't get any "in action" pics.

I'll try and get some pics of my rods.

Just saying hello
Post 26 Feb 2009, 04:59 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Ha ha ha ha ha. ...

That's awesome! Jerry!

Yes yes ... please! We need more food shots! : )
Thanks for sharing ... I will need to post my cooking photo too. I am a big fan of camp cooking!
And just like you, I always like to take the cooking spot ... ha

Just saying hello
Post 26 Feb 2009, 05:43 • #13 
Sport
I'm lucky, I always get the best cooking spot, since I'm the official "camp cook" at these events. I'm a prostaffer for Camp Chef, so have all the gear and then some. So I'm always a welcome guest at fish and hunt camps. LOL.

Ribs and smoked potatoes anyone?

How's about some grilled chicken?

Or how about some fresh cut french fries and fresh beer battered onion rings?

Hungry yet? Image

Oh, and how about a quick picture of a rod. Forgot I had this one on my desktop. This was the first rod I ever built. Circa 79-80. This was the rod I asked a question about. Isn't the best work, but I was only 10 when I built it.

I actually hand glued and shaped the cork handle. Why it's a bit "uneven". Didn't want my Dad helping.

Just saying hello
Post 26 Feb 2009, 17:34 • #14 
Administrator
Steelheader69 ... you had me at "Camp Cook" and food photos. You have a sense of humor too ... and I like the Rubbermaid drift boat.

Just saying hello
Post 26 Feb 2009, 18:09 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Fantastic!

Forgot to mention, Cameron is a great cook! I have two outing testimonies with our camp chef! Cameron and MiddleMac. Still remember the flavor of the BBQ burgers and Kevin's microbrew! : ) Life is good!

Just saying hello
Post 26 Feb 2009, 18:16 • #16 
Sport
Maybe when there's a get together close to me, I can pack up my gear and head down. Here's a little more about me.

http://www.campchef.com/pro_staff/7/Jerry+Daschofsky.html

Always nice to have guys helping out. I can do alot of it on my own, but the more the merrier.

Just saying hello
Post 26 Feb 2009, 18:46 • #17 
Administrator
S$#@! We are not worthy! The man is Camp Chef Pro Staff! HA ... Awesome set up you have. I think I see a "FFR PNW Clave" in the near future if for no other reason besides some good eats. There is the upcoming "Bull Trout Clave" as well not to far away from you either.

Just saying hello
Post 26 Feb 2009, 19:28 • #18 
Sport
Cameron wrote:
S$#@! We are not worthy! The man is Camp Chef Pro Staff! HA ... Awesome set up you have. I think I see a "FFR PNW Clave" in the near future if for no other reason besides some good eats. There is the upcoming "Bull Trout Clave" as well not to far away from you either.

LOL. Not that big of a deal. Just doing my thing. But, if it doesn't conflict with another schedule I'll try to be there. Just tough with 4H, my other fishing boards, hunting camps, and just having days off to relax. LOL

Just saying hello
Post 28 Feb 2009, 16:58 • #19 
Master Guide
Built my first rod when I was 11. A nine foot conolon 10 wt. Broke it in a car door ... so I built another one ... Grizzley Fenwick 9 foot 9 wt. Matched it with a Pflueger 1498 I got for my birthday ... Caught a heck of a lot of fish with that rig ... Rod got busted up but I still use the reel. Caught a lot of Oregon Steelhead back when it wasn't so crowded.

Just saying hello
Post 28 Feb 2009, 17:14 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I hereby crown the new camp chef, man oh man do you put on a spread, hope your gonna make our West Coast Clave. Thats some camp kitchen you pack.
Richard

Just saying hello
Post 28 Feb 2009, 19:12 • #21 
Sport
Thanks, that's not all of it. Just what I brought that trip. Funny, I'm always adding more (go figure). In the one picture, you can barely see my portable oven. Has a two burner stove on the top, with a working propane oven to bake in. LOL. Retrofiting an old Alaskan Camper, and installed it inside that (instead of the stop burner only stove the Alaskans had). If I make it, I'll bring a big variety of stuff with me.

Just saying hello
Post 01 Mar 2009, 16:35 • #22 
Sport
To my cooking arsenal. Gonna test it out at a Hoh River get together coming up at end of March. Should have it by the end of this week.

waffles anyone?

Yeah, it's ugly. But it's not one I bought for my collection (I collect Wagner cast iron). This one I bought to use in my camp cooking duties.

Just saying hello
Post 22 Mar 2009, 09:47 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Hey, I sold you a Fenwick 706 late last year (I'm Lugan from Washingtonflyfishing.com)! You came to my house ... I was babysitting my 3 boys. Anyway, a belated welcome to this forum -- the most civilized ff'ing forum on the Internet.

Just saying hello
Post 22 Mar 2009, 22:16 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
with all you culinary skills (and gear), i sure hope you're able to make it to the glass clave in OR this fall! those waffles look great to me.

Just saying hello
Post 31 Mar 2009, 18:03 • #25 
Sport
Hey, how are you? Still have that rod, my son LOVES it to death. He's laid claim on it, don't think I'll ever get a chance to fish it. LOL.

Culinary skills? What skills? You mean these (from my recent trip to the Hoh River to do some steelheading).

or this?

or this?

Hungry? Image

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply