It is currently 23 Feb 2024, 14:05

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Aug 2023, 12:56 • #1 
Sport
Good afternoon,
I just put up a website at http://www.lymans.com with images of the Garcia Conolon and the Kunnan tackle factories.
I worked at Garcia Conolon from 6-69 to 6-78 as an engineer and set up their graphite and boron manufacturing facility among other duties I had.
In 6-78 I was contracted by the Kennex corporation to set up the Kunnan fishing rod factory in Taichung Taiwan and also design their glass, graphite and boron composite rods among other items.
The website might be of interest to you folks. As I find more pictures I will for sure put them up. I should have done this 20 years ago because most of the people in them are not with us anymore and I probably will joining them in the near future. Take a look, I think you will find this site interesting.

This picture was taken in the early 1970's
In it are office staff, supervisors, foremen and sales personal.
These are the people who made Garcia fishing rods famous.
A lot of these people were there at the beginning when the
company first started.

This picture was taken late 1978
This is the Main Office for Kunnan Fishing Rod Company
and the Kennex Tennis Racquet Company
Kunnan Lo and his family live on the second and third floor
it is a very luxurious home inside to say the least

Last edited by Conolon on 25 Aug 2023, 00:56, edited 11 times in total.

Post 09 Aug 2023, 13:41 • #2 
Sport
Very interesting. Thanks for the post

Post 10 Aug 2023, 00:51 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, an interesting set of images, thanks.

Post 10 Aug 2023, 09:14 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Darn, I wish I could remember the vendor who had a supply of Conolon blanks. Probably there was more than one, but this may be it: https://vintagerods.com/index.htm Don't know their status now, but it looks like the website is still maintained.

Hoping our new member will want to check them out and perhaps find some renewed connections.

The unpainted Conolon blanks, finished with spar varnish, make up into beautiful classic glass rods that perform very well. The rods shown were stripped and rebuilt from good run-of-the mill Garcia 8 footers. A never-painted or built-up blank would come really well.

Post 10 Aug 2023, 12:40 • #5 
Sport
I was not involved in the selling of the blanks but was involved in the design of them. I bet we sold to over 1000 little ma and pa shops so they finish the rods in they style and logos Our blanks were made with a phenolic resin with nylon and other ingredients added. We had a flex testing machine that had a chuck that fastened the butt so it could be rotated with a counter on it. The tip was bent 180 degrees and fastened to a bearing and a switch. When the rod broke the motor would stop and the counter would give you a number of cycles. I would get material from many suppliers and we would make the same blank out of it for testing. The blank was a spinning rod blank number 10324. Many suppliers wanted to supply us because of the large quantities we produced. Our phenolic rods would cycle 10 longer than the polyester resin blanks. Most of all the manufacturers were using polyester resin impregnated in their glass rods at that time. A little before I left Conolon I did a lot of testing on cloth that used epoxy resin. The epoxy resin blanks out performed the phenolic resin blanks by 2-3 times. When I started the Kunnan factory we used the epoxy.

Post 10 Aug 2023, 17:26 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you.Grew up on GC rods and still have a few.78 does not seem that long ago .45 years sure went by fast.

Post 14 Aug 2023, 20:04 • #7 
Guide
I, too grew up using a Conolon. Mine was a N547-A so obviously a bit different than the stuff you were working on, but it’s true-it doesn’t seem that long ago. Math says it’s been a while though. :eek

Post 08 Oct 2023, 08:46 • #8 
Sport
Time flies. Thanks for the enjoyable and informative post. It would be fun to fish some of those old timers.

New Topic Add Reply