It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:15

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 May 2023, 17:44 • #1 
First off thanks for letting me join. I've been lurking for a while trying to learn a little and joined a few weeks ago. I'm new to fly fishing and have been practicing in the yard and a little on the water with a vintage Ted Williams, Garcia Conlon and a new Martin cheapo kit. Just picked this one up at a garage sale and it looks like a Fenwick but doesn't have any manufacturers name. Any help with what it is would be much appreciated. Can't figure out how to upload my images lol. Anyway it's labeled F85H 8 1/2' 4 1/4oz., AFTMA fly line No. 8 Edit - I figured out the photo upload lol

Post 19 May 2023, 19:32 • #2 
Master Guide
Welcome Mac, read this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54264&hilit=flugfiskare

Post 19 May 2023, 20:13 • #3 
Pretty sure that is what I have, the fenwick copy, but it does sound like it might still cast okay. Oh well for 10.00 I'm not going to complain and I really want a Fenwick in a 5wt anyway. Thank you very much for the help !

Post 20 May 2023, 22:30 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Mac35F,

I have a similarly marked and wrapped rod, but I think mine is an 8ft rod. As I recall it seemed like a nice, fishable rod. Better than many but not in the Fenwick class. However, for a bass rod, it will do great if you enjoy casting it. This was the era when Japanese had the connotation of being cheap, but some of the stuff coming out was already of top quality (nikon for example).

buying these things is a gamble, because you never know how good it's going to be, but for $10, it's a great deal.

Have fun and keep an eye out for the rod that you want. A Fenwick 5wt is hard to find under $125, but you can find good deals if you hunt. The hunt is half the fun.

Post 22 May 2023, 15:32 • #5 
Thanks Carl, I hope to get out this weekend and try it out. I need more time and practice before I buy more but when the time comes I'd definitely be willing to pay for a nice Fenwick.

New Topic Add Reply