It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:42

New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Apr 2023, 10:46 • #1 
Master Guide
I'm a little tardy getting this done, but better late than never. The Michi-Glass gathering will be held this year on Sunday, June 25th starting at 10 AM and will be held at Fullers North Branch Outing Club, 6122 E. Co. Rd. 612, in Lovells Michigan (http://www.northbranchoutingclub.com). As always, bring a chair. Ice water will be provided.
I do know that Tom Broadhead of 406 Fly lines is attending as well as Richard Alexander, the maker of the beautiful remake of the old Heddon Imperial 125 fly reels from the past, and Mike McFarland of the McFarland Rod Company. I'm sure that they'll have all they're goods in tow with them to sample and ogle over.
I tried to recall the other day when this gathering was first held and I had to go back into my picture files to come up with the year. It was 2011. We missed one year because of the pandemic, so this year will be 11 years this has been going on. How the time flies!

Old hands and newcomers, all are welcome, so mark your calendar and plan for a pleasant day in the beautiful trout country of northern Michigan. I hope to see you there.

Mark McKellip
PS. Bring your glass with you too. If you are so inclined, there is another opportunity to be had the same weekend in Lovells at the township hall beginning on Thursday the 22nd through Saturday the 24th, which is the Grayrock Bamboo Rodmakers Gathering. All the details concerning that can be found on the web at
https://www.rodmakersatgrayrock.org/index.html

Last edited by fishwoodrods on 06 Apr 2023, 09:42, edited 2 times in total.

Post 03 Apr 2023, 17:32 • #2 
Master Guide
Mark,

Appreciate your organizing this event. Always fun to see the vintage rods and new builds people bring to this gathering.

Post 05 Apr 2023, 09:43 • #3 
Guide
I'm looking forward to seeing Richard Alexander's reels....

Alexis and I will have our new "Spring Creek" glass rod, an 8'9" 3wt. Made in USA blank, Ray Little reelseat, Arguello agate stripping guide.

Tom

Post 05 Apr 2023, 11:06 • #4 
Master Guide
I'm looking forward to seeing you and Alexis again Tom. Will you be attending Grayrock as well?
Mark.

Post 05 Apr 2023, 14:55 • #5 
Guide
Hi Mark,

Yup - be there for Grayrock. We're at Best Western in Gaylord for Grayrock and then at NBOC for Sunday and Monday.

Tom

Post 05 Apr 2023, 19:15 • #6 
Master Guide
Now this looks interesting!

Post 06 Apr 2023, 08:11 • #7 
Guide
What exactly goes on at the glass gathering?

Post 06 Apr 2023, 09:31 • #8 
Master Guide
It's a gathering where people come to cast and revue glass rods from all manufacturers, past and present. It's a chance to compare various length and line weights for all types of fishing in a setting where you would be hard pressed to see as vast an array as you would see at a gathering such as this. I've never been to a trade show or expo that could rival what you would see at gatherings such as this where the main focus is on fiberglass fly rods. It's not that there aren't other things there such as lines and reels and bamboo rods but the main theme is fiberglass rods. All too often a specific fly line from a certain manufacturer can make all the difference in the world as to how a rod will reach it's full potential in an individuals hands. I've learned that many of the attendees are quite adept at determining certain combinations pairing rods with lines to make a rod come alive, whereas before a rod may have felt just so-so. This opportunity to test cast all of the various rods that are available can help any individual to make important decisions as to what to chase after and what to leave alone. All who attend are encouraged to bring their stuff too.
Over the years there have been many rods and reels that have passed hands at this gathering in that it could be labeled as well to be a swap meet of sorts. So if you are in the mood to part with certain tackle items, this is great opportunity for that too.
This is a loose knit affair with no formal format to speak of other than meeting up with old and new acquaintances and just having a good time. We try to pair this gathering to coincide with the Hex hatch so that can be an opportunity while you are here if you are so inclined.
If you can make it, you'll be more than welcome.
Mark.

Last edited by fishwoodrods on 07 Apr 2023, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Apr 2023, 14:59 • #9 
Guide
Thanks for the info. I'll try to make it.

Post 22 Apr 2023, 09:11 • #10 
Guide
Awesome location. Love this. Might be hard for me to make it. But I'm gonna try. I'm a pastor in Toledo and can't take that weekend off. I could make it up by the earliest at around 4-5. Do you think it will still be going on at that time?

Post 23 Apr 2023, 09:44 • #11 
Master Guide
There's no way of knowing when this will end. It's a pretty loose knit affair. Typically it goes beyond five but I couldn't guarantee it.
Mark.

Post 03 May 2023, 13:25 • #12 
Master Guide

Post 23 May 2023, 16:13 • #13 
Master Guide
I hope all your plans are set to attend this year. We're about a month away.
Mark.

Post 28 Jul 2023, 06:10 • #14 
Master Guide
A special thank you to Mark for organizing the annual Michigan Glass Gathering again this year. Mark and Crusty both presented an amazing array of vintage and current fiberglass fly rods. With contributions from almost all who attended a couple of hundred fine fly rods were on hand either in racks, tables, trunks or being passed around for casting. Enjoyed casting excellent fiberglass fly rods, bamboo rods and even a few special graphite rods.

We had quality visitors from Utah, Montana, Iowa and other points west and a strong showing from Pennsylvania to mix in with the local anglers. Mike McFarland was on hand with some of his very fine older models as well as a few new offerings. A McFarland prototype graphite rod expanded from his Tailwind series that I had built from his blank was also well received. Tom from 406 Line Company was a welcome return visitor and he had his quality fly lines available.

Standout casting rods from the event were a vintage McFarland 7' 2" four weight fiberglass rod, the vintage Wanigas fly rods on hand (thank you to the gentleman who brought a few of them to try as they are rare), the bamboo rods with convex tip tapers were a treat to try and too many of the other classic fiberglass tapers to list other than by makers such as Winston, Scott, Fisher and one particular Fenwick that I enjoyed.

As it seemed like we were constantly casting, comparing or catching up with friends old and new so less photographs were taken then in years past. Still great memories from the event.

Last edited by Grouse on 29 Jul 2023, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.

Post 28 Jul 2023, 09:11 • #15 
Guide
Great pictures Grouse! I really enjoyed the day and seeing old friends. The Christian Horgren rod is one of my favorites and I picked it up at the 2015 Michiglass from Christian himself. Also got to meet Brad from Hog Creek Furled Leaders and picked some up for myself. First time using them and quite impressed!

Tom

Post 29 Jul 2023, 10:17 • #16 
Guide
Sounds like a great event. The dates didn't work for me this year but perhaps next year.

New Topic Add Reply