It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:36

New Topic Add Reply
New Member Here
Post 12 Mar 2023, 22:22 • #1 
Hi folks, my name is Joe and I just joined the forum. I am 72 years old, I live in Townsend, Tennessee and I fish the streams in the GSMNP for trout. I collect vintage fly reels, vintage bamboo fly rods, and I collect the rods I love the most; those vintage fiberglass fly rods like the ones I had as a kid and grew up on. I also collect and use vintage fly lines, especially those NOS Scientific Angler's Air Cell lines. I use mainly level lines as they are easily obtained and are very inexpensive off the bay. On the small streams I fish, very short casts to fast water is the norm so a tapered line is not necessary; in fact if you are long arm nymph fishing, your leader is the important thing and you line just barely touches the water (or doesn't touch the water at all). It is a pleasure to be on the forum.
Joe

Re: New Member Here
Post 13 Mar 2023, 02:06 • #2 
Master Guide
Welcome to the forum Joe. Looking forward to hearing what rods you like, tactics and patterns you use to catch trout sand smallmouth in your area. Heading down that way in less than a month and looking to bring a 7’ 4/5wt, 7.5’ 5wt and a 8’ 6wt.

Pete

Post 13 Mar 2023, 16:31 • #3 
Hey Pete, I fish mostly nymphs. If I really want to catch trout in the National Park, I will use a 10ft. 3 weight graphite rod and will fish with an extended arm keeping as much fly line off the water as possible and will use either a small round strike indicator or some kind of large dry fly with a nymph dropper. Other times I will use my vintage glass rods from 7ft. up to 8 feet. I will also sometime use one of my vintage bamboo rods. I can catch trout on the shorter rods but it is not as productive as the long arm nymph rod. Most any nymph will work including the pheasant tail, copper John, soft hackle, prince, etc.

For smallmouth, any small streamer will work and a crayfish pattern can't be beat. Let me know when you are coming down and I can put you on to some spots, though just about any fast moving water close to a more quiet pool will hold fish. At 72, there are many good spots that I cannot physically get to, and I can't wade any more but I have found a few easier access places. Hope this helps.
Joe

Post 13 Mar 2023, 21:29 • #4 
Guide
Joe, welcome to the forum. You'll enjoy it here.
I'm on the NC side of the Smokies. There are a lot of folks on here who fish the park, regularly or when they can make a trip. Lots of good posts about our mountains. Tight line with nymphs or wet flies was being used in the Smokies decades ago, and is just as productive as it ever was. Big fun, too!
Walt

New Topic Add Reply