It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:51

New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 Jan 2023, 12:10 • #1 
I found this line at an Estate Sale for $2.00. I believe it was manufactured in the early 1950's before Cortland Introduced the 333 line in 1952. Does anyone have information on this?
I think it is quite rare.

Post 03 Feb 2023, 03:05 • #2 
Administrator
That is a nice price on a good find. My guess is your line is from the late 40s to early 60s. The line looks basically unused.

The information insert likely has more information than anything you will find online. The recommendation to use your GBF line on a rod that matches an HCH silk line is useful. As a first guess, I would try the line on a rod that fishes well with 6/7 weight lines. Try it with a 5/6 rod or a 7/8 weight rod too. Whatever rod/line combo you like best is the correct one. If you hate it no matter what rod you use, sell the line for a quick profit. It will be our little secret...

Silk requires more maintenance than modern plastic lines. For the basics on evaluating vintage silk, see the Over My Waders site. Along with the basic info article, there is an article on cleaning, stripping, and revarnishing silk lines. Your line looks to be in good shape, but it is possible the varnish is sticky and needs some work.

Tom

Post 04 Feb 2023, 10:12 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Well, yes, 75 year old consumer products new in package are uncommon. Cortland was (is) a major line manufacturer, and that product would have been common in country stores, sporting goods counters, and sporting good stores. Cortland was soon to become one of leading innovaters/developers of "plastic" fly lines. That one is a neat curio to hang onto, or it might be worth trying after checking further.

New Topic Add Reply