It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:05

New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Dec 2022, 22:42 • #1 
Hi this is my first time on forum. I am writing on behalf of my old friend Bill Rhodes who is in kinds bad shape. He has a old yellow, 2 piece, Scott fiberglass fly rod. He bought it at the Fly Hutch shop in Santa Clara California. It has Bill’s name written on it in the same hand and pen as the Scott name and rod specs.
The rod specs are: Scott 2 Powr-PLY, 7.5’ - 2 3/8 oz. - WF-6F, #A-353. I will attach photo.
The serial number seems to indicate it is a early model. I spoke with Scott Rods. They said there records did not go back that far. I would like to find someone who has any info on this rod. Just trying to help an old buddy. Thanks

Bob Bebout

Post 10 Dec 2022, 18:06 • #2 
Administrator
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum!

As far as I know, the rod was made in the very early 70s. However, Scott rods aren't my specialty. I have sent a message to a forum member who should know. If you get a chance to post some photos of the rod and the storage tube label, that would help with identification. For instructions on posting photos here, click this link.

Tom

Note added: I contacted Larry Kenney about this rod. Here's his reply:

Bill Rhodes did a lot of photography for Dan Blanton's early angling writing in Angler Magazine. I’m sorry to hear he's not doing well. He, like Dan, Harry, and Neal Bohannon, were members of the San Jose Flycasters club. We sold a lot of rods through Neal's shop.

The rod in question was probably built in 1973 or 1974 and may or may not have been on a Lami blank. That's about the time Harry Wilson was switching to Cal Tackle built blanks. The "A" simply indicates that it came out of Harry's garage workshop rather than from one of our later shop locations. If it’s semi sanded it's not a Lami. An image would help. A #6 line trout rod of almost any length was pretty common back then....the lighter line revolution didn't happen until the late 70s. I think that model would have been labeled as an F76.

If in good shape it's certainly collectible.

Larry

Post 12 Dec 2022, 12:00 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Looking forward to some pictures.
Always nice to see vintage Scott glass rods in good condition

Post 12 Dec 2022, 14:41 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I'm going to recommend to the owner that he take some good pictures, and also record/preserve this thread. The answer from LK is very special to anybody, so I hope the rod's owner doesn't lose track of it.

Post 13 Dec 2022, 12:17 • #5 
Guide
I am really looking forward to see the photos of this rod. I love the vintage Scott glass rods!

Post 13 Dec 2022, 16:24 • #6 
Guide
I am editing and reposting some Scott Pow-R-Ply Rod related entries that I submitted back in 2019 and 2020. I purchased all 3 of these rods from the Fly Hutch in late 1972 to early 1973.

"A 7 1/2’, 5 weight, Scott Pow-R-Ply Rod, with Harry Wilson’s Flex Sleeves inserted in the blank’s cavity. Had one while a student in Bozeman, where I sold the Rod, I imagine to cover living expenses."

"Late 1972/early 1973, I bought 3 Scott Rods (7 1/2’ 5 wt, 8’ 6 wt, and 8 1/2’ 8 wt) to accompany me to college in Bozeman, Montana. Though the flex sleeves in the 5 wt were eventually making a slight cracking noise, that was one of the sweetest ..."

Best, Bob

Post 14 Dec 2022, 11:46 • #7 
Wow thank you Tom and Larry that is some great information. Bill will be excited when I show him the post. I apologize for my tardy response been going through some back issues. Thanks again for taking the time to respond it means a lot. Bob

New Topic Add Reply