It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:03

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Nov 2022, 18:36 • #1 
Hello all,
Getting back into flyfishing after a 10 year hiatus due to physical limitations. Now I have new knees and hips and an ready to get back to the streams and rivers of the Smokey Mountains region. Got rid of my fast action graphite rods and am looking to fish slow and steady in slow water instead of bolder hopping in fast water (doctors orders). I picked up a 5wt revival glass rod from Moonshine rod co. and matched it with a 20 year old Battenkill III. The old WF line on the Orvis reel loaded up and casted ok on the front lawn but I think I want to try a DT line on this rod. Now for my reason for joining this forum (advice and knowledge). I have been researching DT 140gr. lines to match this rod/reel combination. I looked at the Cortland 444 peach DT5, 406 fly line DT5 and I also looked at a long front taper Airflo tactical taper WF5F all are 140gr. Any and all advice will be appreciated as I enter this new realm of slow and presentation oriented style of fishing.
Thanks.

Re: New Member
Post 01 Nov 2022, 19:24 • #2 
Sport
Welcome deanew, I use and really like the Cortland 444 peach lines WF and DT. I also like the SA Mastery and Frequency lines as well.

Post 02 Nov 2022, 10:13 • #3 
Thanks castnhope, I was leaning towards the peach DT.

Post 02 Nov 2022, 19:42 • #4 
Sport
Hi,

The 406 lines are great for fiberglass and bamboo rods. I have a couple of each DT and WF in 3,4, and 5 weight they are my go to lines.
They were created by a member of this forum great people and fantastic customer service. It doesn’t get any better.

Best,
Mike

Post 02 Nov 2022, 21:10 • #5 
Guide
Deanew; glad your new knees are cooperative with your new glass interests. I’ll warn you, though-as others warned me on this forum; it’s a slippery slope. One nice fiberglass stick leads to another. Enjoy the ride!

Post 05 Nov 2022, 09:19 • #6 
Thanks Mike, When I researched fiberglass rods another site recommended 406 lines for glass rod's. 406 has a great website and another non corporate small business to support.

New Topic Add Reply