It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:04

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Sep 2022, 08:24 • #1 
Guide
I frequently find myself going through older posts on this forum. For example, I’ll look through the rod photos section to narrow down thread choices on a build, reference the rod building for tips, or browse old Fishing with Fiberglass posts, thinking, “I know I read that somewhere.” As John Harrington Keene quoted Charles Talleyrand as having said, “Nothing is new but that which is forgotten.”
Anyone else find themselves doing this?

PS-I was thinking this topic falls better under “frequently asked, messages & news,” than fishing with fiberglass. Maybe I’m wrong though.

Last edited by oldriverman on 29 Sep 2022, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

Post 29 Sep 2022, 08:58 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Fair enough right here ! And a good reminder to newer readers to use the search function (upper right of the frame) to check out previous discussions, of a rod, a technique, a reel--well, just about anything involving fly fishing and fiberglass rods.

Often that will turn up some fun, informative reading.

In addition, that can lead to a new topic post or sharper query that further adds to the store of knowledge at FFR. In the new topic, copy and paste links to older FFR topic(s) that got you thinking or wanting to find out something more.

Post 16 Oct 2022, 20:30 • #3 
Guide
Thanks, whrlpool.
I'm a little surprised there haven't been more responses-I expected at least a few members to post their narratives of things they'd learned through browsing old topics. The quote I mentioned earlier is from The American Fly Fisher Journal. In that, it says (regarding the modern Fly Tyer Magazine), "...many of the color cover-photographs of absolutely the latest in so-called new and innovative fly patterns are similar, if not identical, to the imitations tied by Keene." I remember reading somewhere, that it could be argued that the only truly new innovation of modern fly fishing, is midge hooks. However, Keene was making & using midge hooks. John Harrington Keene's articles originally appeared in 1885!

Edit:
This post mentions something similar to what I was thinking: “With all the information on the vintage glass and reels and on building glass as well, I'd have a thousand posts within a week on questions needing answered.” viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6339#p40698

So, something I was driving at, was that I occasionally see an old post brought up with something like, “I hate to bring up an old post, but…”
However, I don’t think it should necessarily be regretfully brought up—but more like we’ve got this wealth of information built up—might as well use it!
As mentioned earlier, I was hoping other ‘glass lovers would chime in, with testimonies of how older posts had helped them-because I think many of the topics we’re talking about is inherently relevant to the rest of the glass world.

Here’s one example:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4538
“waking up an old thread - just wanted to say thanks, got a new-to-me Fenwick FF856 and it's a clicker.. waxed the ferrule, no luck.
flexed it while listening closely and inspecting for cracks etc, seems to be the stripping guides, never heard of such a thing.. check FFR, and there's the answers.”
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45354&p=178556&hilit=Ferrule+clicking&sid=a0fa686149daacdd8aebfd38516f552a#p178465

Any other thoughts?

New Topic Add Reply