It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:05

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Sep 2022, 00:19 • #1 
Sport
I am surprised nobody picked this up !

Post 20 Sep 2022, 07:03 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Although I have owned several Epic rods (kept the 580), I think the glass rods are bit too ‘mainstream’ (too fast action that makes the step from fast graphite quite easy) and becoming too pricey. For the same price you can get truly custom rods from builders like Chris Barclay, Yamame rods and Living ston rods.

Post 21 Sep 2022, 13:47 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I read the article and the Epic 476 tested just happened to be the author's personal rod. No chance of bias there. It wasn't like they compared a lot of small stream rods and this one stood out. It won the category because it was the only rod in the category. Personally, I'd be ashamed to publish that. Although many Epics are on the fast side, not all are or have been. The current 686 and 580 aren't that fast, IMO. And I have a 1st gen. 480 3pc that I wouldn't call fast at all - full flex med-fast maybe.

Post 22 Sep 2022, 14:21 • #4 
Sport
i have the Epic 476 fastglass 2 in a 5 piece built by Matt Leiderman,it's my favorite 4wt rod,i have 10 4wts in bamboo and glass Ijuin's Barclays Orvis Kabuto McFarland Dusty's NFC M. Gallo etc. i'll take the Epic anyday, i fish it with Phoenix Silk Airflo 406 and SA lines,likes em all.i fish the Lower Madison, Upper, Yellowstone and most creeks with it.

Post 25 Sep 2022, 14:00 • #5 
Guide
I have the 476-3 and 476-4 Standard. The 3 piece is a Paddock build and the 4 piece is a "Standard" which the "Reference" rod replaced. Picked that rod up on closeout for $350 last September. The rods seem the same to me and very similar to my Orvis SFG 764-3. Use all three in low water, spring creek or small stream conditions, primarily sight fishing. All three are very accurate out to about 50 feet and can handle bigger trout. The reference and custom rods now seem a tad overpriced for most folks. Also have 580-3 and 580-4(used) which I like also. Best to look for a used one if you are interested.

New Topic Add Reply