It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:51

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Sep 2022, 20:58 • #1 
Guide
Hello fellow glass Revolutionaries!
I lurked on the old site, became a member, then rejoined the new site after lurking again. Like I mentioned, I'm overdue-well overdue!
Born & raised in a western Colorado blue collar family; hence I fished glass. I started fly fishing when I was a kid, well before "the movie." In a small mining town-at that time, fly fishing wasn't really seen as a wealthy sport, merely an interesting way to fish. I worked as a whitewater rafting & trout fishing guide in the late 80's & early 90's (kinda funny my current profile ranks me as a sport). I try not to be prideful about it though, since I've learned a lot from beginners, & also because l enjoy the quiet sport so much because there's always more to learn. Of course l fished G-phite then. On my off days I used to love hiking up tiny alpine creeks with my fly rod, just for the adventure & to see what I could catch-people thought I was crazy when I told them about that. Now they call it blue lining, go figure. I enjoyed Gierach, but disagreed with some of his views- I figure this is the one place I can say it's because I'm Christian. I'm rambling a bit, so I'll just say I worked construction, & went in the military. Then I hooked up with Project Healing Waters, and took a rod building class through their group. I learned a lot in that class, & had no idea of the amount of variables there are in rod building.
The new glass is amazing, but I still like to take out my old Conolon & feralite occasionally.
Thanks all for this awesome meeting place!

Brian

Post 15 Sep 2022, 21:51 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, oldriverman! Good to hear your story and look forward to hearing more from you.

Post 16 Sep 2022, 09:24 • #3 
Guide
Welcome. Don't let these guys talk you into buying rods. It's one thing they are all very good at. Just when you find a brand you like they will send you pictures or recommend another maker. You're hooked from there. Enjoy it.

Post 17 Sep 2022, 17:16 • #4 
Guide
Gentlemen, thanks.
Duly noted, angry viking- I keep telling my wife that my glass addiction is less expensive than the other addictions...
For some reason, I'm not sure she believes me, lol!

New Topic Add Reply