It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:24

New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Aug 2022, 16:37 • #1 
I volunteer in a thrift shop in western NC that provides some revenue for a non-profit and we just got in a used fiberglass fly rod. They planned to offer it for $15.00. Being a fly-fisherman myself and recently becoming interested in the fiberglass offerings, I got involved in looking at it and finally volunteered to research it a bit before we put it out for sale.

Although the label is nearly gone, it is definitely a Shakespeare Standard Taper NO. FY-3 110 (balance obscured). Recommended Line Weight 9.
It is a 2-piece rod, measures 8’6” when assembled, and is in nearly unused condition; except that the Shakespeare label is nearly gone. It has cigar-style cork handle that looks untouched; down-locking rod seat and ferrules are not corroded at all. The wrappings and finish look flawless. It is light tan and there is no rod sock or carrying case. I have no way to determine the weight but it does feel heavy compared to what I would guess that a similar graphite rod would weigh.
The butt section includes two stripping guides and a hook keeper. The guide metal appears to be copper. There are six snake guides on the tip section and of course the tip, all of which also appear to be copper. On the butt section there is an oval label near where the manufacturer’s label is missing that states: “Custom Fly Rods” and “Fred Samperi.” From all of this I would assume that this was built for someone and maybe the additional guides and guide materials were installed to the buyer’s specifications. I've done some additional research and found that Fred Samperi lived in the Waynesville area for about 10 years after he retired (about 2001 to 2011) but is now deceased, and he did in fact build custom rods.
I can send photos if that would help, but I have described it very accurately. I can't imagine that this rod would have any application for local trout fishing, but I sure hate to see it sell for a trifle if it might be of interest to a collector or someone who would really want something like this and be able to use it. If nothing else, maybe I can persuade the manager into setting a price that reflects its real value or even buy it myself. I did some looking on Ebay and although I couldn't find the exact model (lacking some of the label information), I saw Shakespeare glass rods of apparently similar vintage and lesser condition selling in the $65.00 - $75.00 range. Then again, maybe it IS just a 15 dollar rod. Any guidance appreciated.

Post 08 Aug 2022, 21:58 • #2 
Administrator
Welcome to the forum!

You described the rod thoroughly. Most glass rods gain value if they are; shorter and for lighter line weights( #5 or #6), built in a high quality/smaller volume rod shop, and are complete with the original rod bag and tube. The better the functional/cosmetic condition, the higher the value. Your rod sounds like it is in good functional and cosmetic shape. However, the rod is longer, heavy, and does not have a rod bag or tube. Shakespeare was a high volume operation - very few Shakespeare Wonderods are 'collectible'. Their biggest value is they are still good fishing rods.

The next value factor is the potential customers - the more the better. In a thrift shop, the customers looking for tackle will be hunting for bargains. If the rod was offered on eBay, it would be seen by more potential buyers. The higher possible sales price would be offset by shipping and fees. The net proceeds may be a bit higher, but the effort will be higher too. The eBay prices you saw are asking prices, not necessarily actual sale prices. Some items have been on eBay for many months at a price nobody will pay.

I think if the rod were priced in a thrift shop, the $15 price tag will move it out the door. Maybe a few $ more. You would get a similar price selling it to a shop that trades in used tackle. eBay might bring $30-50 plus shipping, if there are at least a couple of buyers that want your rod. But I wouldn't expect $60-75.

Tom

Post 09 Aug 2022, 06:59 • #3 
Thank you for the thoughtful response. The characteristics you mentioned - the weight of the rod, line weight, length, are exactly what disappointed me when I saw it, because I'm over here in western NC where of course trout fishing rules the day. I appreciate that you suggested that it's still a good rod - it is just as pristine as I described it - and I'm sure you're right about the price guidance. My primary motivations were 1. For the shop to set a price that would get it sold and make as much as could be expected; and 2. Get it into the hands of someone who appreciates and will use it. That of course I couldn't guarantee.

In case you were further curious, we have a rod builder over here named Jim Mills (Raven Fork Rods), who lives in Whittier, near Cherokee, and has been fly-fishing and in the business for many years. He builds in graphite, bamboo, and glass but really champions glass and bamboo. I contacted him also and his guidance was similar, but he also knows a tribal fisherman in Cherokee who throws streamers almost exclusively and who would gladly have it. So I intend to purchase it myself and turn it over to Jim, who'll get it to his colleague. Everybody wins.
Thanks so much for the input. I'm about to order my first glass rod from Jim so I'll be all in on learning more about this kind of rod and this looks like a great resource.

Post 21 Aug 2022, 07:27 • #4 
Master Guide
Jim Mills is a legend over there in Western NC, his bamboo rods are beautiful pieces of work and very affordable. Can’t wait to get back up there soon.

Post 21 Aug 2022, 07:56 • #5 
You're absolutely right about Jim Mills. I've only been here in WNC for about a year and fortunately met him this spring when I was looking for someone local to repair a Sage graphite rod. From the moment I met him he talked to me as if I was an old friend and after two visits I could see that he's a regional treasure. On top of that, just because I was there, he spent about an hour letting me cast glass and bamboo rods, which was quite a revelation to me. I took up fly-fishing somewhat late in life and started with graphite since that seemed to be what everyone was doing - and I was in the Pacific Northwest where Sage and Loomis and several other brands originate.
Long story short, when I turn over the Shakespeare to Jim later this week, we're planning to figure out what kind of rod or rods he'll be building for me, considering I'm in a whole different fishing environment here. I'm considering one of each, using his guidance.
Thanks.

Post 21 Aug 2022, 20:54 • #6 
Master Guide
That is cool, please keep us posted on what you end up with for rods.

Post 27 Aug 2022, 22:00 • #7 
I delivered Jim's thrift shop Shakespeare on the 24th and then spent about 90 minutes at his home on the 25th. He had set up at least ten glass rods (which is what my first purchase will be) and I cast them all - including an heirloom Fenwick that he built for a family member and which was not for sale at any price. The differences between one rod and the next were startling at times and even the grip styles made a difference to me. And, as you might guess, some of the time and attention were devoted to his assisting me in unlearning some of my graphite rod casting habits. He insisted that I not make a decision that day but I'm leaning strongly to a 4-pc rod built with G. Loomis blanks (7'6" 4-weight). Casting 40 and 50 feet to targets was effortless when I hit the timing right and the line just shot out of the tip. The whole experience was informative and truly enjoyable and Jim has a world of insight he shares generously.
I'll go back towards the end of next week and try that one again, along with a couple of close runners-up. One of those was the same length and weight five-piece rod but the blank supplier escapes me at the moment.
I will say that if money was no object, the rod built with Epic blanks was absolutely the best of the lot. That was one sweet casting tool, but very closely followed by the heirloom Fenwick.

New Topic Add Reply