It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:41

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Jul 2022, 16:18 • #1 
Hello friends and colleagues,

I hope COVID has missed you at your end. So far, So good at our end.

We are off to New Zealand in January and are looking for the mythical place in the Southern 2/3 of the North Island to do some trout fishing. Surprisingly, our goal is not chasing trophy’s, but finding a nice Lodge/Bed and Breakfast/Motel for a couple of days to use as our base where we can-walk and wade- fish. Hopefully, just catching “pan sized” trout on small rods.

Nancy has the rest of our trip programmed with shopping/wineries/sight seeing/more shopping/ etc.

Any thoughts!

Best wishes,

Vic

PS: I am nearing the end of my research on my 9th book (Fish Hatcheries in the Future). Climate Change and the new pathogens from it has dramatically changed the old model of Hatcheries that we have been used to. Arizona and CA have shut down some of their southern hatcheries-at least in the short term. New Technology will be a must going forward and I am trying to understand it.

Post 16 Jul 2022, 16:22 • #2 
Guide
Vic,
I am an American living in the Hawkes Bay area of NZ for the last 12 years. I primarily fish within an hour and a half of my home. You may want to look at the website: NZ Fishing-Independent Guide to Fishing in New Zealand. Has good information on streams in various areas of NZ, gear, flies, guides, lodging, etc. What area of the lower North Island are you visiting? Do you plan on fishing with a guide or independently? I know of only one stream and one lake that you catch "pan sized fish", in my area you primarily catch rainbows of 2-4 pounds and some browns averaging 3-5 pounds. For January a 4 or 5 wt. rod would get the job done. Unless you have a guide ferrying you around, fishing here involves at least a fair amount of walking. Would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Also would be happy to take you out on some of my local rivers if you visit Hawkes Bay. I can be reached by PM through the forum.

[Please do NOT post email addresses or phone numbers. They attract spammers. If members need to exchange personal or location specific information, please use the PM system. Tom]

Post 16 Jul 2022, 17:19 • #3 
Hello back,

Thanks so much for replying to my request for local NZ information. I really appreciate it.
We are just now starting to figure out what our route will be when we are in NZ. We arrive on Jan. 13th and leave on the 20th. I last fished NZ in 1984, so I am obviously way out of date.
Please review my website where my eight books on fly fishing are listed (www.engineeringpathways.com) and select a complimentary book which I will mail to you from in Country or give it to person when I am in NZ (the custom duties are very high on shipments from the US to NZ, so I will send it or give it to you in person when I get to NZ).
If you ever have time, please send me the name of 1-2 motels or B&B in your area that are nice and we can factor that into our trip route plan.
Thanks again,

Vic
PS: My comments on "pan sized" trout are meant to say we are not coming solely to NZ to fish and are not really driven to catch a huge fish or two. I have been actively fly fishing for almost 70 years (am now 78) and have been lucky enough to catch some record trophy fish. I am now at the stage in life where I like to fish with my grandsons for bluegills. It was a thrill to me to catch them when I started out and is a thrill for them today.

New Topic Add Reply