It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:51

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Apr 2022, 15:49 • #1 
Master Guide
After a pause caused by covid I've decided to hold Michi-Glass again this year. It will be held at a venue new to most of you (it was held at Warblers Hideaway in the past). Last year I held it at a private off grid cabin by invitation only, just trying to be as safe as possible, and to test the place as to using it again in the future. All who did attend thought having it there worked well and thought it would work out fine in the future. This year all will be invited, as I now feel safe enough for that.
It will be a one day affair to be held on Sunday June 19th starting at 9:30 AM, and will end when the last person leaves. I will fire up the grill sometime during the day for anyone who wants to burn some meat so you can plan that as part of your day if you wish. We will have a campfire later if you are so inclined to hang around to shoot the breeze and tip a few. Bring your own beverages, snacks and the like, as the only thing that I'll be offering is cold well water from the cabin. There are few chairs there, but not near enough for a crowd, so PLEASE BRING A LAWN CHAIR.
The best directions that I can provide is that it is roughly 3 miles south of M-72 on Sunset Trail in Kalkaska county. Sunset Trail is roughly 14 miles or so west of Grayling. About 1/2 mile past a gas station (the only one after you cross the Manistee river on M-72) you will see a sign indicating a State Forest Campground that is on Sunset Trail (CCC Bridge Campground). This is where you turn left to get to the venue. I will have my Michi-Glass banner posted on the right at the little trail where you turn. the cabin is right there somewhat hidden in the trees. There are only three cabins on the full length of Sunset Trail and they are all together. The venue is at the third cabin. If you miss it, you won't have your eyes open.

This gathering, as with most, is a swap meet as well so if you have things to trade or sell, by all means bring it. If you have a small table for that purpose, that would be great. Along those lines, Mike Anderegg, a friend of a long time attendee by the name of Pete Magas who died recently (pmagas on this forum) will be bringing all of Pete's collection of rods, reels and the like to sell at this gathering, so keep this in mind in your plans to perhaps procure something in memory of Pete, who was a very congenial and friendly man to all who attended Michi-Glass in past years.

Pete

If you have any questions beyond what is answered here, just post a reply and I will respond.
Mark McKellip.

Last edited by fishwoodrods on 09 May 2022, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 May 2022, 09:40 • #2 
Guide
I'm a newish member to this forum and have heard a bit about these Michi-Glass events recently. I'd love to attend sometime, but still working it out if this year will work. Do people generally just come up for the day, or do people find a place to stay for a few days? It would be a bit of a drive for me for just a day trip.

Post 07 May 2022, 09:16 • #3 
Master Guide
Mark,

Appreciate your efforts to continue this fun tradition. The gathering is worth the drive. Have enjoyed meeting anglers and collectors from different countries, various states and those who live nearby at past events.

JShenk,

If coming up from Ohio you could manage the trip in a day but would recommend camping or securing lodging for at least one night.

Bring a lawn chair and some rods to cast. A wide variety of classic and more recent gear has been available to try in the past.

Post 07 May 2022, 14:26 • #4 
Master Guide
JShenk_615 wrote:
I'm a newish member to this forum and have heard a bit about these Michi-Glass events recently. I'd love to attend sometime, but still working it out if this year will work. Do people generally just come up for the day, or do people find a place to stay for a few days? It would be a bit of a drive for me for just a day trip.

I would definitely stay for more than one day just because of your drive. There is a lot of good fishing in the area at that time in June as well. Hope to see you there.
Mark.

Post 09 May 2022, 07:01 • #5 
Guide
Good news.... looks like I will be able to get away that weekend and stay for a night or two. I won't be able to get up there until mid-afternoon on Sunday. I know I'll miss some things but I'll be able to join in on the tail end of the festivities. I'll obviously be the new guy that no one knows. Is there camping available on the premise or should I look into a nearby camp ground?

Joel

Post 09 May 2022, 10:35 • #6 
Master Guide
Joel.
There is room for you to camp at the site if you want. There is a state forest campground right on the Manistee river a few miles down the road at the CCC bridge that's on the same road (Sunset Trail) as the gathering is being held. In all likelihood I will be staying Sunday night at the cabin and leaving on Monday after I get the cabin cleaned up and in order, so if you camped there you would have to break camp on Monday and move somewhere else. Try to get there as early as possible to meet everyone and to have a crack at casting a broad variety of choice glass and bamboo. Welcome aboard!
Mark.

Post 10 May 2022, 08:47 • #7 
Guide
Makes sense. I hope to be able to stay at least two nights so I'll look into a camp ground so I won't have to break camp.

Post 10 May 2022, 10:33 • #8 
Guide
Mark, Interesting.........That should be a good time...How's the fishing that time of year on the Manistee? Trout, Bass?

thanks

Post 10 May 2022, 11:33 • #9 
Master Guide
The fishing at that time IS the time to be there. The possibilities are that sulphurs (dorothea), brown drakes (simulans), or hexagenia . With the hatches getting going right now any of these could be the fly of the day for some excellent trout fishing. Very nice fish in this area.
Mark

Post 31 May 2022, 08:34 • #10 
Guide
Hey Mark, looks like I’m going to miss the gathering, and most of the Hex hatch. I’m joining my brother out West, and only have a 2 week window, either side of Michiglass. Please take and post pictures, so I can enjoy from afar. It’s sad to think of Pete not being there. Thanks for all the organizing and work you do to keep this going, I think it’s one of my favorite days of the summer.

See you guys next year, John

Post 31 May 2022, 11:19 • #11 
Master Guide
John.
I'm sorry that you won't be there. I'm not sorry that you'll be with your brother though. There really wasn't much of a choice there. I'd do the same thing. Enjoy yourself, but your company will be missed. I'll let everyone know why you're not there and say hello to all for you.
Cheers,
Mark.

Just a note. Richard Alexander has committed to attend our gathering and will have his new Heddon Imperial 125 reels with him to inspect and or purchase. I own one of these reels and can testify that it is a high quality reel that he makes that is assured of becoming a classic.
Mark

Post 31 May 2022, 19:07 • #12 
Master Guide
A few images from Michi-Glass gatherings past.

Post 01 Jun 2022, 19:14 • #13 
Master Guide
Lots of fond memories for sure.

Post 12 Jun 2022, 10:09 • #14 
Master Guide
One week until the 2022 Michi-Glass gathering.

Crusty, several brown rods as you prefer.

Post 12 Jun 2022, 13:32 • #15 
Master Guide
Nice lot Ken.

Post 12 Jun 2022, 17:19 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Grouse wrote:
One week until the 2022 Michi-Glass gathering.

Grouse,

Are these your rods? Or images of michiglass past?

What is below the Cummings and above the old Yankee? I should know those gold wraps. I'm thinking SA or Fisher.

Post 12 Jun 2022, 18:25 • #17 
Administrator
carlz wrote:
What is below the Cummings and above the old Yankee? I should know those gold wraps. I'm thinking SA or Fisher.

The Fisher blank is the clue - it looks like a Claudio.

Tom

Post 12 Jun 2022, 19:33 • #18 
Master Guide
From bottom up in the first image:

1. Wanigas Au Sable
2. Old Yankee Rodsmith Andy Manchester
3. Ferdinand Claudio
4. Vince Cummings “The Aristocrat”
5. Larry Kenney
6. Grizzly Fenwick
7. Scott F Series
8. Brook Trout Rod (Asian import blank custom)
9. R. L. Winston SF
10. Wanigas (earlier model)
11. Lamiglas S Glass
12. Phillipson Royal
13. Kettle Creek Riffle
14. Salia-Flex (spinning rod)

Looking forward to trout fishing this weekend and the gathering on Sunday.

Post 13 Jun 2022, 06:45 • #19 
Guide
I'm still planning on coming up for the event and I'll be camping a few nights and doing some fishing. Any more reports on what's hatching? Gonna work at tying up some flies for the trip.

As I said before, I'm a newer member to the forum, and this is my first time attending michiglass. I'm looking forward to it. Unfortunately, I have a Sunday morning commitment so I won't be able to get there until later in the afternoon. Oh well, I'll take what I can get even if I miss some, and then stay for some fishing.

Joel in Toledo

Post 13 Jun 2022, 16:18 • #20 
Master Guide
There could be anything from Sulphurs (Dorothea #18), Brown Drakes (Simulans #10) White Gloved Howdies (Isonychia #10) or Hexagenia #2 or #4. You can call Gates Lodge or The Old Au Sable Shop for the most current updates. Just Google for their phone numbers.
Mark.

Post 14 Jun 2022, 09:32 • #21 
Guide
Thanks, fishwoodsrods. It's at least good to have an idea to start.

Post 19 Jun 2022, 19:24 • #22 
Sport
Mark
Thanks for organizing this. I had a really good time as a first time attendee. Everyone was so welcoming and generous letting me cast their rods. I sure did like your “Art Neuman” special rod.
Hope to see you on the north branch some time!

Post 20 Jun 2022, 22:42 • #23 
Master Guide
I haven’t logged in to this site in many years. Happy to see Michiglass happened this year. I just missed it, I’ll be up that way this coming week chasing hex.

Post 22 Jun 2022, 08:45 • #24 
Guide
Well... I was there and here's a picture to prove it. I knew I wasn't going to be able to get there until mid afternoon, but turns out I was delayed, then hit some traffic, and didn't get to the cabin until 5:00. By that point the party was gone. Oh well.... bummer that I missed it, but I stayed up for a few days and fished the upper manistee. Had a blast on my own. Caught mostly browns, and two small brookies on the upper upper part of the river. Caught them on sulphers, a foam beetle, borchers drake, and adams. I heard about brown drakes hatching on the Manistee, but not up where I was.

Joel

Post 22 Jun 2022, 10:14 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Is everyone still fishing? I wonder how the turnout was.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply