It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:56

New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Apr 2022, 08:49 • #1 
Sport
Guys,
My daughter and I are planning a fishing/camping trip to either northern New Mexico or Southern Colorado at the end of May or the first week of June. She is a grad student at UNM in Albuquerque. The plan is to spend a week in the northern boarder area. My only experience was a few days 20 years ago on the San Juan. It was a great long weekend but, entirely fishing from a drift boat. Any help you guys can provide especially if you are in tune with this years snow pack and runoff conditions as well as camping options would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

Post 04 Apr 2022, 10:33 • #2 
Sport
Stay at Aurelio Corso's place. You will have a great time.

Post 05 Apr 2022, 06:33 • #3 
Piscator
Get a copy of Fly Fishing Northern New Mexico, assembled from notes of TU members in the area.
We've used it as guide book on several trips zig-zagging the CO/NM border from west to east.
So many great rivers, San Juan (Cottonwood campground and Simon Canyon), Dolores, Rio Chama, Rio Brazos, Conejos...

Agree with plugging into a guide day or two on private water with Aurelio

Post 05 Apr 2022, 18:23 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Plan to adjust your plans depending on the runoff situation. The loop op through taos, chama or conejos and over to Durango is good, and while should provide fishing and camping opportunities,. But adjust your elevation to find the best opportunity. It seems a bit early in the season, but time with your daughter is great no matter when it is.

Post 05 Apr 2022, 20:27 • #5 
Guide
Brazos , Corkins lodge to fish “The Box” , The Chama has some nice public water , definitely the Costilla , North Lake near LaVeta / Cuchara , and as mentioned earlier , see if you can PM Mr. Corso , he is probably the No#1 authority on that whole area from what I’ve read and seen on this forum , sounds like a triple Win Win Win with that option ???

Post 05 Apr 2022, 22:00 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Also check out Pagosa hot springs. It's not as much fun with a daughter, but it is great after some cold nights camping.

Post 05 Apr 2022, 22:50 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with checking in with Aurelio Corso, an excellent host, cook, and guide, and a member of this forum. Another good choice I have fished with is Spencer Seim of Ziafly in Taos. Spencer was also the source of much of the information that led to the writing of "The Feather Thief".

Larry

Post 06 Apr 2022, 15:30 • #8 
Sport
Wow, thanks guys for all your great responses. I was able to get a used copy of the book and it should be here in a few days. I'm sure staying with Aurelio is a sure thing but, we were looking to get out tent camping. On the flip side we will be very mobile/nomadic able to move where conditions give us the best chance to get into fish. I will stay posted to this thread and search the local shops for fishing reports as we get closer. I will try and get a good photo capture of our week and share it on the site in June. I'm really happy she thinks it's cool to hang out and fish with her dad. Out of the gate she will be using the 7'6" 4wt iconoglass I made for her a couple of Christmas' ago. It turned me on to glass as I saw how quickly she picked up casting it. You guys will be happy to know we will have more glass than graphite with us on the trip.
Thanks again,
Chris

Post 06 Apr 2022, 16:28 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Be sure to post a follow-up. FFR members like to know how their suggestions worked out--or even didn't, plus you can't go wrong with pics of some of the rods in action. The 4-weight icono-glass sounds great for some of those waters.

Post 06 Apr 2022, 19:56 • #10 
Guide
A 4wt anything works out nicely Whirlpool , but you most “definitely” already knew that , no doubt from experience … I used a 3wt Winston graphite , a 3wt 7’ superfine glass , and a 3/4wt Steffen 8’ glass , on my endeavors , gotta say that even though I Love the Costilla , and most likely would call it a favorite , we hit “The Box” (by luck) “perfectly” , amazing weekend , quality fish (even brook trout) spectacular scenery , weather (late July) perfect , and just the total experience , worth every penny …. Hmmmm , your suggestions to refer to everyone’s suggestions is Spot On !!!

Post 07 Apr 2022, 10:31 • #11 
Guide
I lived in Albuquerque back in 1994-1995 and went out again in 1997 with my dad on a 2 week trip. Along with the book you're getting, I used Fishing in New Mexico by Ti Piper a lot. It had all the places listed with great directions. From Albuquerque, we fished the Jemez and Guadalupe, San Juan, along with the Red River below the hatchery. Also the Pecos near Santa Fe and some smaller ones in the area. The Cimarron is nice and there was camping along it. Not sure when it opens, but Aurelio would known, but the Rio Costilla in the Valle Vidal area was awesome and had camping back then.

What was said about the runoff is right. That's great that your daughter wants to go on a trip like this with you and it will be something to cherish.

Post 07 Apr 2022, 22:14 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Rio Costilla opens May 1, and there is still plenty of camping areas to be had. We entered the park area about 4 miles down the road from Aurelio's place in Amalia, NM. Miles and miles of stream with easy access in a lot of places. Aurelio has some land across the road from his lodge with, I believe, about a mile of Costilla Creek running through it. I know in the past he has let some people camp there, but probably only if using his guide service.

Larry

Post 09 Apr 2022, 11:18 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I had a guy stop by yesterday and he did great on the Costilla using a streamer and there is camping along the river.The Cimarron below clear creek is starting to fish and the Conejos along 17..........Aurelio
Check with Conejos Anglers about we’re to fish when you come there are a couple of blue lines that may or may not be fishable due to runoff.La Manga Creek should be fishable for brookies and has primitive camping.You can check out the Los Pinos they also have camping.

Dave the Jeep is fixed so me you and Roy will make it to La Jara.

Post 09 Apr 2022, 16:43 • #14 
Sport
Aurelio -- Can't wait.

Dave

Post 15 Jun 2022, 17:24 • #15 
Sport
Guys,
Time for a follow-up on our trip. From the input here and info out of the Fly Fishing Northern New Mexico book as well as the timing of the first week of June I planned for us to fish the Cimarron and camp in the State Park. The fires put an end to that before we left SC with the closing of the national forrests and state parks. I quickly pivoted to the Conejos River in Colorado as the flows were coming down and I secured a campsite in the Aspen Glade campground. All was good until I got a call Sunday morning 5/30 the day before we were to leave Albuquerque from Debbie at the campground that there was a fire along hwy 17 and they were evacuating the campground. I got online quickly and was able to find a campsite on the Navaho Lake above the San Juan river. The week could not have turned out better. Monday, Memorial Day we fished the evening and got a prime spot at the top of the Texas hole. We were into fish that evening and caught fish every day from Mon-Fri. Our favorite spots were the Texas Hole and Lower Flats. My daughter was one of only a couple of other women on the river and the guys welcomed her and encouraged her when hooked up and landing fish. On another topic I really feel bad for the folks of New Mexico and what they have been going through with the fires and the impacts to their homes and livelyhoods. With all they were going through midweek I received another call from Debbie at the Aspen Glade campground letting me know they were reopened and she could get me a campsite since she new we came out west from South Carolina. What a great caring person. Friday at lunch my daughter and I did a wrap up of the week happy with how it all turned and her only question was when are we doing it again. My response is you graduate from UNM in May so maybe????? I have attached a few photos of her successes.
Chris
First time posting images so I hope they work

Post 16 Jun 2022, 18:42 • #16 
Master Guide
Excellent, glad y’all had a great time.

Post 16 Jun 2022, 20:08 • #17 
Piscator
If you can catch fish in Texas Hole, you can catch twice as many in Simon Canyon, at the end of Cottonwood Campground road.
You fished a lot of great water, and left a lot to go back to.
Great trip, and thanks for the report and photos.

New Topic Add Reply