It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:36

New Topic Add Reply
G'day- another Aussie
Post 24 Feb 2022, 23:49 • #1 
Sport
Hi. I live west of the city of Melbourne, Australia, with access to numerous lakes, reservoirs and streams and one or two small rivers. I find the forest streams the most enjoyable. That's where I feel at home. There are some good fish to be caught and a number of wild brown populations here and there.

It's nice to get back to fly fishing and break out my 45yo 6wt (it's a Hardy or Fisher blank, apparently) which has taken a battering over the years and was my only fly rod for 35 years. I have fished boron and carbon but every time I pick up the glass rod, I know it's what I really like. Fly fishing is completely absorbing and there's always something to learn from others. That's why I signed up here.

Post 25 Feb 2022, 09:12 • #2 
Piscator
Welcome mate - we like your bent.
We also want to see where you fish.

Post 25 Feb 2022, 22:35 • #3 
Sport
Thanks.

These are examples of half day or day trips.

The St George's River in the Otway Ranges. It flows into Bass Strait (between the mainland and Tasmania) and is fairly typical of the region. The fish are not big- but its little bit of paradise.

Some stretches get quite low. The tree ferns are typical of the region.

The Cumberland River is a hop step and a jump from the St Georges. Impossible on the weekends with all campers.

The Lerderderg River holds some nice wild browns.

Upper Stoney Creek Reservoir. Windy day- often the best day time fishing here, particularly if the margins are muddy.

There is much more of course if you venture east by northeast. There are some very fine rivers in the Great Dividing Range and some very large trout. Not a day trip really. If you want a more native flavour and really big fish, then Murray Cod are the go. I haven't ventured into that yet, but have a mind to sometime.

I have a Tassie trip coming up with plans to venture into the west and fish an early teenage location, when my dad worked on the mines. I'll post some images, if all goes to plan.

[Fixed the images. Please stop deleting the bulletin board codes after you insert the photo information. The code should look like this when you are done:
Code:
[timg]https://images.fiberglassflyrodders.com/u/8845/IMG_20220212_193618.jpg[/timg]
Please don't delete the parts in square brackets! Tom]

Post 25 Feb 2022, 22:52 • #4 
Piscator
thanks - great water and strata.

Adding my ps here - your files were oversized - I tried to load them in img argument, and the server wouldn't accept them.
You should resize photos to no more than about 700 or 800 pixels tall (I most often use 600).
Use your photoviewer program, and save them with a new name before you upload to FFR server.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 26 Feb 2022, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Feb 2022, 03:46 • #5 
Sport
Please don't delete the parts in square brackets! Tom] - apologies

Post 26 Feb 2022, 13:21 • #6 
Guide
Welcome from Canada! That's some beautiful looking water.

Post 26 Feb 2022, 15:57 • #7 
Sport
Thank you. We spent a week between BC and Alberta a few years back. Twenty years ago, I travelled to Montreal several times for work. Speechless! My regret was leaving and having no time to fish.

Re the images. Thanks for the tip. I can edit and upload smaller versions.

Post 26 Feb 2022, 16:07 • #8 
Administrator
The forum takes care of the image size. Please read the post about the image posting system viewtopic.php?t=2353#p6834 for more details.

Tom

Post 28 Feb 2022, 11:12 • #9 
Piscator
Don't quit on us now - most of us are weathered-in for winter, and would love to see more summer fishing photos from down under.

Post 16 Apr 2022, 20:50 • #10 
Sport
G'Day grc1,
I live about 30 miles NE of Melbourne in Healesville and most of my fly fishing is in the nearby streams around the town as well as further NE over the " Spur " around Marysville. Haven't fished in the west of this state. The Otways streams look like fine waters. Would you be interested in wetting a few flies somewhere either side of Melbourne?
Cheers,
Steve

Post 31 Jan 2023, 22:01 • #11 
Sport
Hi Steve. It's been a while since visiting the forums and I missed your reply. I'd be happy to try the waters up your way sometime. I can find a day here and there on the weekends. Though, I'm tied up over the next couple of weeks.

New Topic Add Reply