It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:59

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Bat Cave
Post 22 Dec 2008, 06:22 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Cameron your too busy to spend much time in the cave anyway Image

I am sure you will have a fine setup someday though. If you (or anyone else in NC) wants to start collecting for your space I saw a really nice hi fidelity SABA Freudenstadt 7 tube radio on da bay listed as pickup only in Asheville NC (120352147831). I own this same set and its awesome. I would bet that you got better things to invest in right now.

Bat Cave
Post 26 Dec 2008, 18:17 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Since I started this thread, I should have the huevos to show a photo of my Bat Cave, even if it is in less than perfect condition.

Any more Bat Caves out there?

wacokid54

Bat Cave
Post 27 Dec 2008, 03:13 • #28 
Master Guide
Quote:
cofisher wrote:
As I've mentioned in another post, my bat cave is ... well um ... a bat cave. It's in the civilized part of the house. (That place where the woman lives and the kids used to.) My wife doesn't cross the threshold any more because she's fearful of dark places where spiders nest. I've got about every inch of wall covered by fishing pictures, dead fish, a partial canoe and the spiders I mentioned. Every corner has fly rods and rod tubes, book shelves and there is a misplaced threadmill in there as well. I've also got a tying table, boxes of tying materials and a rather large computer desk which is covered with fly reels and assorted stuff. It's as organized as I care to make it.. ..
Howard,
Your bat cave sounds great. I commandered my son's room after he moved out, named it "The Men's Room" (my wife affectionately refers to it as "The Man Hole") and, after a very short while, mine was just like yours complete with a bobcat hide and Alaskan treasures on the wall. However, I've been out of town on a project for the better part of the last 3 months. While I was away, evidently my wife grew tired of the manstink eminating from its depths. She took it upon herself to clean it and re-decorate. I came home last week to find something completely different than what I had left. I really wanted to fuss but she had worked very hard on it and was proud of what she'd accomplished. I declined to offer any desparaging remarks. It's still The Men's Room but now a nicer one, devoid of manstink ... for the moment.

Bat Cave
Post 27 Dec 2008, 06:15 • #29 
Emeritus

Nice room Wacokid ... kind of reminds me of your vest. Image Beauglass, I'm thankful that the boss lets me have a room of my own. When she decides she's had enough and cleans it (rarely) I just thank her profusely.

Bat Cave
Post 27 Dec 2008, 09:19 • #30 
Master Guide

The room was very dark and bat like until I installed a couple of fluorescent lights in the drop ceiling. With Daylight bulbs in can be pretty bright down there now. The room is half fly fishing and half TV room/bar. The treadmill (which hasn't been used for awhile!) is in front of a fireplace, that also hasn't been used for awhile.

Bat Cave
Post 27 Dec 2008, 12:01 • #31 
Master Guide
Holy cripes! Ag looks like you've done your part to keep the folks in Twin Bridges employed:D

Bat Cave
Post 27 Dec 2008, 12:42 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
My cave exists under the stairs off of our living room. I turned a closet into a fly tying space. We live in an old farmhouse that's over 200 years old and we have never added on to it, yet. Spending so much time in my "cave" came in handy as we have raised two kids, now 12 and 16. It was easy to be in there yet still capable of keeping an eye on them as they grew. It just meant that I was close by if they needed me and I wouldn't have to feel guilty spending time in my cave. My table is the small door that existed there and behind me are hanging coats and a bunch of rod tubes that get pushed into the corner.

Last edited by gearboy on 27 Dec 2008, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

Bat Cave
Post 27 Dec 2008, 12:54 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
I should have added that if you want to work and live in my cave you've got to be small. I'm about 5'8"/180#, so it's a tight squeeze. The hardest part is getting seated, then you don't want to move or leave the cave.

Bat Cave
Post 27 Dec 2008, 13:50 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Howard, you should see the photo facing the other way. My wife is right, I have too much stuff. I will say that the beauty of being in the furnace room with the spiders is that no one else wants the space!

Arctic Grayling, numerically speaking, that is a bunch of flyrods! Cool setup for storage with all the bins.

wacokid54

Bat Cave
Post 27 Dec 2008, 14:53 • #35 
Emeritus
I'm thankful that I have a "room" as my bat cave with heat and light. But I know that if I didn't, I would crawl into a closet or a bathroom in order to have my own space. Heck, I had a darkroom in a bathroom once a long time ago.

Last edited by cofisher on 27 Dec 2008, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

Bat Cave
Post 27 Dec 2008, 20:02 • #36 
Administrator
gearboy ... I started getting claustrophobic looking at your cave. I don't think I'd fit in there. HA. Neat space though. Thanks for the photos.

cofisher ... did you clean your room this week? (Didn't that sounds like a Dad? HA ... ) Great cave with room to stretch your arms out a little bit.

Bat Cave
Post 27 Dec 2008, 20:33 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
hey AG,
when i grow up. i hope to have a room like that! those folks at winston do know how to make a nice rod don't they? i like the utilitarian tying bench too. a friend of mine gave me an old solid wood postmaster's desk that i'll restore and refinish someday. it's a bit raised and of course has lot of small drawers. hopefully someday soon. great pix guys!
-mike

Bat Cave
Post 28 Dec 2008, 03:34 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
Cameron, having actually peeked into Gearboy's bat cave, I think those photos make it look way bigger. Wide angle lens? Gearboy wins hands down in the most stuff per cubic foot category.

Howard, I want your room with all of AG's rods in there too. There will be no more layoffs at Winston if AG keeps up his buying pace!

Bat Cave
Post 28 Dec 2008, 04:01 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
cofisher wrote:

'Co,
that boat-shaped wall-shelf is cool.

Bat Cave
Post 28 Dec 2008, 14:48 • #40 
Master Guide
Duff wrote:
Cameron, having actually peeked into Gearboy's bat cave, I think those photos make it look way bigger. Wide angle lens? Gearboy wins hands down in the most stuff per cubic foot category.

Howard, I want your room with all of AG's rods in there too. There will be no more layoffs at Winston if AG keeps up his buying pace!

Hey Duff!

I don't think I bought any new Winston rods in 2008. I might have received the seven weight BIIMx that I ordered in September of 2007 though. It's a great streamer rod!

Nine of those green rod tubes contain IM6 rods that I would have purchased off of Ebay (5 more are WT rods). I like the BIImx for fishing streamers and the BIIx for fishing beads, but for the rest of my fishing I like the older Winstons best with the downlocking reel seats with the darker inserts like walnut and zebra. But then again I do like the DL4 rods. And I have the 10' four weight and 9'6" five weight WT rods that are great for lake fishing.

I did have 17 Sage rods. I started out fishing Sage rods, but I discovered that I like Winston rods better. I've sold off more than half of the Sage rods.

Now if I just had some of the Morgan Stalkers and the San Francisco glass rods! Image

Bat Cave
Post 28 Dec 2008, 16:59 • #41 
Master Guide
Okay, here's my bat cave ...

Bat Cave
Post 28 Dec 2008, 17:14 • #42 
Master Guide
ToneMike-

Here's the rest of that fly fishing room:

When I clean up reels I set up that spare white table standing on the right had side of the picture below and put it in front of the chair on the left, directly under the light.

From either chair it is a short trip to cold drinks in the fridge or snacks in the cupboards. For big hungers one can go out the door to the freezer in the garage and microwave up a bigger snack.

And of course, for those long, dark winters a good collection of fly fishing videos is required. My fishing books are upstairs in a bookshelf.

Since I took the pictures I posted earlier I have rearranged some rods and the fiberglass rods now have a whole rod rack of their own:

Bat Cave
Post 28 Dec 2008, 17:54 • #43 
Administrator
AG ... one word ... AMAZING.

Bat Cave
Post 29 Dec 2008, 04:20 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
beauglass wrote:
Okay, here's my bat cave ...
another boat-shaped shelf!

I gotta get me oneathose ...

Bat Cave
Post 29 Dec 2008, 04:44 • #45 
Administrator
beauglass ... that is a mighty fine room. Missed that one on the first go around. WOW ... it sure looks clean and organized. HA ...

Bat Cave
Post 29 Dec 2008, 05:12 • #46 
Master Guide
Cam,
Yeah, the wife really "tweeked" it good. The best part about it is that she didn't clean the tying bench off!

Bat Cave
Post 29 Dec 2008, 12:31 • #47 
Emeritus
Corey you can find those "boats" at Michaels crafts (fairly cheap) and Hobby Lobby.

Bat Cave
Post 29 Dec 2008, 14:07 • #48 
Master Guide
mine was actually a door prize at a wild turkey federation banquet that my wife helped cater. she takes good care of me ...

Bat Cave
Post 31 Dec 2008, 12:52 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
hey AG,
the little fridge is the kicker! very nice.
-mike

Bat Cave
Post 05 Jan 2009, 19:10 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
Duff wrote:
My "Bat Cave" - aka the furnace room:

Duff,

You've got good taste. Vintage fly tackle and vintage Italian steel bikes (with the quill stem, too!). Image

Question: Do you really only have one Cabela's rack full of rods?! Nice to know the Fenwick triangle tubes fit in them (or did you modify the holes?).

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply