It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:50

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Bat Cave
Post 14 Dec 2008, 13:36 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Do you have a Bat Cave? Mine is a corner of the unfinished basement. Lots of shelves, workspace, a desk, cartidge reloading bench, gun safe, and fishing, hunting and camping gear hanging everywhere from the joists above. By this time of year it is usually in disarray (translate, a mess!). Time to put a bunch of stuff away, and settle in for some fly tying, reel cleanup, and maybe rebuild an old tobacco glass rod.

Tell us about your Bat Cave!

wacokid54

Bat Cave
Post 14 Dec 2008, 15:05 • #2 
Guide
The garage. Tying table, rodbuilding bench, T.V./Stereo, a large rack shelf just for the important fishing stuff. Lots of shelves I really like an organized area. It is kind of a mess right now also. I have a large pile of misc. household stuff that needs to be organized into the mix. When it is, I am thinking of building a wooden drift boat. Maybe this spring.

I need a new heater for my cave as it is starting to get really cold these days.

Cool thread, I can't wait to hear about more "bat caves". Image

later-Thom

Bat Cave
Post 14 Dec 2008, 15:37 • #3 
Master Guide
I have a 14X20 wood shop out back and claimed an upstairs bedroom for my rod building/fly tieing/hunting stuff room. The shop is starting to get cold and very unorganized. Everytime I get it straightened out I either add or change out a piece of equipment, messes up the layout. Gonna have to redo it again so I can start planing cane pretty soon. Kinda excited.

Mike

Bat Cave
Post 14 Dec 2008, 15:39 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
flynbird wrote:
Cool thread, I can't wait to hear about more "bat caves". Image
My fly-tying setup is totally potable,
so I setup for that usually on the dining room table,
or on a portable lap-sized old drawing/drafting board in front of the tv,
in the rare event there's actually something on worth watching ...

but for my recent foray into rod-building,
I became inspired to clean-up my workbench in the basement.
(it was a "Jurrassic Park" of time-layered items:
used pieces of sandpaper, handtools, various screws/nails, wood shavings, rags, etc.)

This thread is timely,
because just yesterday I had the notion to dig-out my old boom-box
to listen to some cd's while I wrapped some guides.
I've found that late 60's jazz goes well with rod-building.
("Steamin'" by the Miles Davis Quartet was what I played yesterday ...
might pop-in some Coltrane tonight ... )

Bat Cave
Post 14 Dec 2008, 15:57 • #5 
Guide
Corlay, Thelonius Monk is good for building. I also like Bluegrassy/Folky/Old School Country and Cash/Nelson. Good music can really get the creative juices flowing. I love having a go-to spot to work, but sometimes I also set-up in front of the T.V.-Thom

Bat Cave
Post 14 Dec 2008, 18:53 • #6 
Administrator
I used to have my own "Bat Cave" ... but now it is our daughter's bedroom. The "Bat Cave" was moved to the spare bedroom closet. Now we're having a second child and I am getting moved out of the closet now too. I don't know where all the gear is going to end up.

Bat Cave
Post 15 Dec 2008, 04:42 • #7 
Emeritus
I am very excited about my new bat cave. I recently moved and my new house is a ranch which means big basement. My basement now is bigger than my entire old house.
I am just now getting all my stuff setup down there. I now have the space to start reloading and building arrows again.

Anyway, I want to see pictures of everyones bat caves.

Bat Cave
Post 15 Dec 2008, 05:23 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Ahhh yes the Bat Cave AKA Man Cave. Ribs I can relate and definetely gotta love the ranch basements! Have been cleaning my basement up lately after a summer of neglect and a number of years of accumulation. One of my favorite accessories to the man cave these days are a couple of vintage tube radios that I listen to blues and jazz on.

Last edited by jeffsod on 17 Dec 2008, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

Bat Cave
Post 15 Dec 2008, 09:01 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Corlay, great comment about the accumulation of old project "remnants" at the workbench. I know just what you mean!

Cameron, I feel your pain. I once built a double barrel muzzleloader shotgun from a kit while living in a one bedroom apartment. No workspace! If you keep making babies, you might need a bigger castle. You know what causes that baby thing, right?

Ribs, congratulations on the new digs. I knew someone would suggest pix, rightly so. I will post mine, but only after a cleanup session. Do you shoot a recurve, or a compound?

Jeff, that radio is just too cool; how old is that puppy?

Thom ... holy crap! Building a boat? Now there is a project. If you do that, a photo essay of the project would make a great post. I bet a lot of folks on the forum would like to watch that as it develops.

Keep the Bat Cave reports coming. If nothing else, taking a picture for the forum is a great excuse to pick up. I can think of some rod builders out there that have me curious about where they work their magic.

Thanks, and I don't think it is too early to say Merry Christmas from da Waco Kid!

Bat Cave
Post 15 Dec 2008, 09:08 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
wacokid54 wrote:
If nothing else, taking a picture for the forum is a great excuse to pick up.
NOOOoooooooo ...

An "as-is" pic,
is much more revealing.

Bat Cave
Post 15 Dec 2008, 09:14 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
Jeff, that radio is just too cool; how old is that puppy?

The radio is a 1954 SABA (West German brand) Bodensee WIII which was second from the top of the line in table sets in SABAs line that year. The woofer is huge for a table set and the bass it pumps out rattles the cave Image. But its not my daily driver set as it has not been completely overhauled yet. Needs some more updating. But I pull it off the shelf occassionally and really enjoy its sound. Takes about a half hour for that set until its warmed up but well worth the wait.

A full picture without the power on-

This is what the daily driver looks like-

Last edited by jeffsod on 17 Dec 2008, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.

Bat Cave
Post 15 Dec 2008, 09:42 • #12 
Emeritus
wacokid54 wrote:
Ribs, congratulations on the new digs. I knew someone would suggest pix, rightly so. I will post mine, but only after a cleanup session. Do you shoot a recurve, or a compound?

Waco I shoot a compound bow. My archery is very much like my fly fishing in that I like bows made in the early 80's before release's were popular. I should with my own release called my fingers. Most modern bows now are too short to shoot with fingers. I have a top of the line Darton from about 1985. I also hate carbon fiber arrows and still use aluminum. I do use sights. On an interesting note, my older brother has the same bow and shoots it without sights using an old technique called string walking. I have tried that technique and other instinctive shooting styles but I have settled on sights.

Another benefit of my new digs as that I now have just enough property to setup my own archery range.

Bat Cave
Post 15 Dec 2008, 10:48 • #13 
Guide
Our house is populated by 10 year old and 13 year old daughters and a lovely wife. Both the dogs are girls, as well as the rabbit. Lots of tasteful floral patterns and, in the girls rooms, pink. In this maelstrom of estrogen I founded Manville. It originally consisted of a card table, battery powered am/fm radio and folding chair under a bare lightbulb in the basement. A flytying vise sat on the table. A nearby shelf held some fly-tying materials. It represented a state of mind, more than a location.

I have, over the years, added amenities. A second hand oak teachers desk, rescued from curbside pick-up. A beat up second hand XM radio, from someone who was going to pitch it after they upgraded. A bookshelf (bought new, but filled with second hand books) and a nice heavy wooden kitchen chair, extra beat-up. I got an indoor/outdoor lamp that is shaped like a coconut tree last year for my birthday, it now lights up the desk. The set-up remains in the basement, where it should be. A couple of years ago we got a new TV so the 16+ years old one drifted downstairs to a new home. This has made it a more popular to visit for the kids. While tying flies Sponge Bob or Hannah Montana is as likely to be watched as any sporting event While all are welcome, regardless of age or gender, the things there are Dad's. He is willing to share, he just wants to be asked and he just wants you to take care of it. The vise and rod roller reside in Manville, and so do I, but only once in awhile, when occasion calls for it.

Last edited by MuddlerOH on 15 Dec 2008, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.

Bat Cave
Post 15 Dec 2008, 20:59 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
i had a cool office upstairs. reels, rods,my old fishing buddy's creel, and appropriate art on the wall. a decent radio and good natural light ... and a good-sized closet. sounds great? well, now it's pink and there are various birds indigenous to washington on the wall. the room is now my daughter's and i'm in our 6' x 12' pantry. so the "bat cave" description fits perfectly. believe it or not, i like it better than my swell office upstairs. my cave has 2 decent windows (one of which has a very nice view) and it puts me exactly between my garage and kitchen. how can one be better situated than that?

Bat Cave
Post 16 Dec 2008, 01:20 • #15 
Master Guide
Heres my little slice of heaven , as I'm new to the addiction I'm sure I will be tying flys here soon. Image

Bat Cave
Post 16 Dec 2008, 06:49 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
My "Bat Cave" - aka the furnace room:

Bat Cave
Post 16 Dec 2008, 11:35 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
hey duff,
that's a great rod holder. did you make it or buy it somewhere? currently my rods are leaning in a couple of corners. i hate pulling one out and having the others clank around.
-mike

Bat Cave
Post 16 Dec 2008, 12:07 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I had the same problem, Mike. That's a Cabelas corner rack - I think they still have them in stock.

Bat Cave
Post 16 Dec 2008, 12:30 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
I live alone, and can attest that with a little care (ore really, without any), an entire house can become the man cave. Right now, there's some piece of fishing or camping gear in every room.

Bob

Bat Cave
Post 16 Dec 2008, 12:56 • #20 
Emeritus
As I've mentioned in another post, my bat cave is ... well um ... a bat cave. It's in the civilized part of the house. (That place where the woman lives and the kids used to.) My wife doesn't cross the threshold any more because she's fearful of dark places where spiders nest. I've got about every inch of wall covered by fishing pictures, dead fish, a partial canoe and the spiders I mentioned. Every corner has fly rods and rod tubes, book shelves and there is a misplaced threadmill in there as well. I've also got a tying table, boxes of tying materials and a rather large computer desk which is covered with fly reels and assorted stuff. It's as organized as I care to make it. My wife said if I posted a picture on the internet that she would send a copy to the fire marshal.

Bat Cave
Post 16 Dec 2008, 14:01 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Clearly Howard and wife are a match made in heaven! My corner of the basement gets very little traffic from anyone except me. Drives my lovely first wife Jeanie berserk when she looks in there, so she hardly ever looks.

wacokid54

Bat Cave
Post 16 Dec 2008, 20:49 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
cofisher wrote:
My wife said if I posted a picture on the internet that she would send a copy to the fire marshal.

that's really funny! i've always liked women that give me a run for my money. i've definitely got one of those ... it's like a double edged sword.

Bat Cave
Post 17 Dec 2008, 06:38 • #23 
Guide
Here it is. Fly tying on one side, fabrication on the other.

Bat Cave
Post 17 Dec 2008, 18:16 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
[submitted without comment]

Bat Cave
Post 22 Dec 2008, 00:06 • #25 
Administrator
Great "Bat Caves" everyone. Someday I'll have a space of my own ...

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply