It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:58

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Dec 2008, 19:45 • #1 
Emeritus
A great time tonite at the wife's office holiday party, celebrated this year at a neat "super-green" home in the mountains above the west bank of the French Broad River below Marshall, NC.

My favorite part of the house tour was the utility room, of course ... a system that meshes- besides the intelligent site building itself- heated concrete floors, serious insulation, rooftop solar collectors cycling water through 120 gallons of storage, a backup ("instant") water heating furnace, etc. Plus a beautiful creek that the owners are restoring from years of cattle damage.

The centerpiece included a fantastic handmade brie by Viviana (a workmate of my wife Anne) who wanted to bring something from her Italian family heritage

Just one table of happy work friends and partners, including Mike (graewolf) and his beloved, left

Anne found an adorable baby to hold. I said he looked just like my plumber, which his parents found hilarious. Really- they didn't want to kill me.

The hostess has a wonderful Greek heritage, raised in Chicago with first-generation American Greek parents. Every year at the holiday party she "reads the empty cups" of anyone brave enough to drink a demitasse of Turkish-style coffee she serves after supper. Graewolf's reading- clearly seen in the photo as a sinuous, river delta-like line of coffee grounds- revealed "a successful flyfishing trip with friends" or something similar- honestly I can't remember the particulars of the reading- must have been too much Ouzo between plate fillings Image. Graewolf, help me out with the exact reading!

Happy Holidays y'all!

Post 13 Dec 2008, 07:13 • #2 
Administrator
middlemac ... Cool Party Report! I like graewolf's future told.

Post 31 Dec 2008, 04:53 • #3 
Guide

Ha! Kevin, I just now noticed this thread but better now than never I guess. It was a fun gathering of good friends and great food. I love the photo of Anne with little Charlie, she'll be a natural born grandma but not too soon I hope! As to my fortune I think she said this, "you will fish many beautiful rivers in the year to come with your friend Middlemac but you Graewolf will catch many more trout and much bigger trout than Middlemac. But Middlemac will be happy to to be along on the trips with you watching as you land those very large trout."
I think that was it? Image

Graewolf

Post 31 Dec 2008, 07:50 • #4 
Piscator
so Mike, when you coming to Texas?

Post 31 Dec 2008, 08:18 • #5 
Guide
Ron, after seeing all those breakfast photos of yours and all those photos of those beautiful rivers, I think I better MOVE to Texas! I might get down there sometime next year maybe I hope. I'm not sure where my park ranger son will be posted next after Yellowstone but he's got an application in at Big Bend. If he ends up there, or anywhere near the Hill Country, I'll come a runnin'. Keep the light on for me ok?

Mike

Post 31 Dec 2008, 10:27 • #6 
Emeritus
Jeez, I misread the grounds ... I thought they said "Kev killed, Mike skunked" Image

Happy New Year!

Post 31 Dec 2008, 10:50 • #7 
Guide
Yes, I think you mis-heard the Greek fortune teller completely! Happy New Year to all. Eat your black-eyed peas tomorrow and maybe that'll give you better luck next time we go out!

Post 01 Jan 2009, 10:08 • #8 
Glass Fanatic

Bulldog, do you want to tell Graewolf just how far it is from the Hill Country to Big Bend and how much good water there is in the Bend?

Of course, you do cross the Devils and the Llano en route.

I'd need some of the coffe after Brie.

Post 01 Jan 2009, 16:47 • #9 
Administrator
middlemac wrote:
Jeez, I misread the grounds ... I thought they said "Kev killed, Mike skunked" Image
"Kev killed". HA ... HA ... HA ...

Post 01 Jan 2009, 17:19 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Kevin, you Always make me laugh loud ... everytime ...
thanks for sharing! : D

Post 02 Jan 2009, 04:19 • #11 
Guide
[b]mdwwhw:[/b] I know the Republic of Texas is a big state but since I might be down in the general area, I thought it'd be worth a trip up to Bulldog's place no matter how far it is, just to get one or two of those breakfast tacos!

Post 02 Jan 2009, 05:03 • #12 
Piscator
I should have some smoked venison by the time you get down here

Post 02 Jan 2009, 09:27 • #13 
Guide
Oh man, now that's what I'm talking about!

New Topic Add Reply