It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:36

New Topic Add Reply
Hi from SoCal
Post 03 Nov 2021, 14:29 • #1 
Hi All,
I’m Ray. I’ve been reading this board for awhile and thought I should check in. I’m looking to put together a fiberglass fly rod and reel combo on the shorter side for tight areas. In the meantime, my only fiberglass rod is Fenwick PLS70 that my buddy’s widow gave me. I managed a few surf perch this summer. I think Carl is laughing at the size fish I catch.

Re: Hi from SoCal
Post 07 Nov 2021, 21:18 • #2 
Master Guide
hello Ray,
i have got fish lots smaller than that and i still laugh when i catch them. i guess the question is what kind of fishing are you looking at doing? is it salt water inlets? surf casting? when you say short for tight areas, what do you mean? then what kind of fish and what size will they be? there are so many variables and the guys here all come from different backgrounds and fishing styles. some do salt water with yacks others only go up spring creeks that are ten feet wide so describe your situation and we will get the right guys involved with the conversation. collectively there is a tun of knowledge here about fly fishing with fiberglass. welcome to the addiction.
j-

Post 08 Nov 2021, 00:13 • #3 
Hey j
Yeah I could have been a little clearer. I’m putting together a fiberglass rod for small streams. In fact, I have a couple Fenwicks enroute - an FFL 84-5 and a FL 72-6. My plan is to get off the beaten path next year in the Idaho Montana Wyoming areas. I figure either or both should be good for brushy streams. True?

I’ve done a lot of surf fishing with a fly rod. Mostly corbina but halibut croaker and perch too. What do you recommend for a fiberglass rod?
Thanks for the help!

Post 08 Nov 2021, 08:34 • #4 
Master Guide
@bulldog1935 @whrlpool I’m not familiar with the old fenwick blanks. I built a few but not any of the two your talking about. I can tell you any of the medalists reels will balance those blanks really well. You can find Shakespeare clones of the medalists cheap on eBay and they work great. I must have 6 with different line I use to try out on new rods. For the streams your talking about you need the most accurate roll casting rod you can get. Again, I’m not familiar with the blanks you have coming so I’ll leave it to some of the others to chime in.

Post 12 Nov 2021, 22:19 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Ray - my experience has been that the Fenwick FL was always a blank, sold for custom rod building. I have two FL 84-5’s, both of them yellow blanks. I refurbished them both completely, right down to new cork and reel seats. They are great little rods. Don’t use either very often, however, always seem to use shorter, lighter weight rods or longer 5-6 wts. Lots of folks on this Board are familiar with fishing in those states you mentioned, so many opportunities for info. Roy

New Topic Add Reply