It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:00

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Mar 2009, 03:28 • #51 
Guide
Had the week from hell this week at work - really looking forward to this weekend! It's looking like I might be able to take off early tomorrow am and hope to arrive mid-day. Looking forward to meeting some new folks, and seeing Mike, Jonas, Jeff, Bob and Duff again. The thought of standing in a stream again sounds so good!
Regards, Steve

Post 19 Mar 2009, 13:52 • #52 
Master Guide
... Hey Steve, great to hear you're going ... not to worry my friend, I'll have plenty of worms and salted minnows this time ... ain't gonna let no cold water and sluggish trout slow us down ... HA ...

Post 19 Mar 2009, 14:06 • #53 
Administrator
Bob ... sadly I can't make the Gathering ... but I hope to see a photo or two with this smile again ...

HA ...

Post 19 Mar 2009, 22:32 • #54 
Master Guide
... Thanks Cameron ... I'm tossing my gear in the car as we speak (err, read) ... the weather looks like it will cooperate nicely ... catch up with ya'll soon ... Goodmornin, Bob

Post 21 Mar 2009, 12:45 • #55 
Guide
Would sure like to hear how it all went. .. and would love to see as many pictures (with names) as possible.
Sorry I was not able to make (and so is Al) but hopefully we'll be there next year.
Ken

Post 22 Mar 2009, 14:57 • #56 
Master Guide
you all don't care about the rest of us any more.

You're supposed to posting the pics you've taken with your Blackberries on the Twitter feed to this place. every 15 minutes

Post 22 Mar 2009, 15:13 • #57 
Glass Fanatic
I recovered enough to head up to Mike's gathering for an over-night on Saturday. You all owe it to yourselves to make it to one of Mike's gatherings - great people, great rods, great hospitality. .. and did I mention thirty of the most beautiful filet mignons on the planet? It was just great to see so many good friends again. Cameron, I'm sorry I didn't get a good shot of our Bob last night but I assure you he was looking very much like that first photo around 1:00 AM last night. Image I'm sure many more photos and comments will be added by others.

Scene of the party - The Feathered Hook B&B in Coburn, PA

Happy Birthday Mike McFarland!

Jgestar and SALtsh try out some classic glass ( McFarland Rods hats generously given to all attendees):

Tom's toys:

Mike breaks out the micrometer to measure some classics :

Jonas' Toy Land:

You've got to love Hardy! (A very popular poster on one of Jonas' fly shop doors) Hmmm, was this the reason I bought that Perfect yesterday?

Last edited by Duff on 23 Mar 2009, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.

Post 22 Mar 2009, 16:00 • #58 
Master Guide
... great pics duff ... glad you made it ... good to see you, john, tom, Jeff, mike, Steve, ezera b., etc., again ... everyone had a great time ... i think i gained 10 pounds from the fantastic meals ... well, it's been a long travel day ... so it's bedtime for bobby ... goodnight all ...

Post 22 Mar 2009, 16:20 • #59 
Administrator
Duff ... thanks for the report and photos! Excellent ... and made me wish I had been able to sneak out of the house for the weekend. Now I want to know how to get a hold of one of those stellar looking McFarland Rod Company hats!

Post 22 Mar 2009, 22:22 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
great pix duff. i think you showed considerable self control only buying one at such a shop.
thanks.
-mike

Post 22 Mar 2009, 23:07 • #61 
Mike and Everyone
Sorry, we didn't make it, I was informed Friday afternoon that mandatory overtime was required Saturday. I am sure everyone had a great time.
See you all next time
The Wayfinder

Post 23 Mar 2009, 01:51 • #62 
Guide
Image I would like to add that it was a fantastic first gathering for me! Nice, scenic three hour drive north fm MD to a wonderful, beautiful location on Penns Creek and to spend the entire day with such a diverse, like-minded bunch of folks was great. Casting the different rods that everyone brought along was for me a blast. Don't get a chance to things like that often. Last time I was in one of the local fly shops down here noticed that they had several Fenwick glass rods in their rack but was immediately informed that they were not for sale and were primarily there for show - what "antique stuff looked like". I was also asked if I was still stuck on bamboo and Hexagraph rods or have I moved on. Told them I also have glass and got such a look. I do fish graphite - Mike's Vintage rod (7'9" 3wt). I guess I'm sooooo old fashioned. Oh well.

Slow on the uptake. Didn't realize it was Mike's Bday. Sorry Mike. Mine's today and picking up my new 8' 6wt. Spruce Creek on Saturday was the icing on the cake for me. Loved the shop next door as well. Managed to spend less than I might have but it gives me another reason to drive back up-and the fishing.

Thanks for the pics Duff. Enjoyed meeting you and all the rest. Sorry I couldn't stay this time for the steaks, however, three hours up means three hours back and needed to leave sometime although I didn't want to.

Already looking forward to the next one. I'm considering staying overnight for it if my wife will let me.

Post 23 Mar 2009, 02:37 • #63 
Guide
Looks like you all had a ss good a time as anticipated. .. wish I could have been there.
My fishing pal is recovering from his Stroke so "maybe" next year we can attend, even if he cannot cast by then.
Hope to see even more pictures and to hear a little about how the fishing went.
Ken

Post 23 Mar 2009, 02:52 • #64 
Inactive
The weather was great for March with temps in the low to mid 50's and the water levels were nice. We had a great group as always. The assortment of rods on hand was pretty amazing. Here are a few pics:

This should make you all jealous:

Duff, Kinzua, and I (from left to right) check out a 6'6" Peak.

Jgestar throws some line with the Claudio.

Kinzua casting the birch 3wt

I didn't fish at all, but with all the great rods I didn't really care. Duff let me mic his Claudio and Peak.

There was more there than just great rods.

Was it the surprise birthday celebration, the Abel reels, or the scotch that put such a big smile on my face?

Bob4st at 9:00pm:

Bob4st at 1:00am:

(L to R) Durango, Jgestar, and Duff. Even after this much alcohol, Duff wouldn't part with that Claudio.

I think everyone had a great weekend. I know I sure did. It was nice to see some old friends and make some new ones. I am compiling a list of the rods that were on hand. I will post it and some more pics soon.

Post 23 Mar 2009, 03:14 • #65 
Master Guide
Looks like you all had a wonderful time. I really wish I could have made it out there for a day. Maybe next time.

J.

Post 23 Mar 2009, 03:41 • #66 
Glass Fanatic
Flyfishingshaman wrote:
Mine's today
hey, me too!
Happy Birthday, Brother.
(I'd say it in Russian, but I don't schpeken ... )

Post 23 Mar 2009, 06:05 • #67 
Glass Fanatic
Mike provided a nice selection of rods for us to try out. Along with his glass and graphite offerings, Mike also displayed his interesting four-strip rounded three weight birch rod (third from left), and a gorgeous little four weight bamboo rod finished out classically with blued cap and band over Spanish cedar (second from left).

Disclaimer: Bob and I honestly weren't hammered in those late-night photos. It's just one of those deals where the camera catches you blinking and it looks like the last photo taken before the rescue squad was called. Right, Bob?

Last edited by Duff on 23 Mar 2009, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

Post 23 Mar 2009, 06:38 • #68 
Administrator
Fellows ... I am really enjoying the photographs so far. Looks like everyone (Bob and Duff ... I'm talking about you too!) had a great time. HA ...

Oh ... and this has to be the most photographs I've seen of Tom Gould ... ever!

Post 23 Mar 2009, 08:01 • #69 
Guide

Had a wonderful time. For me it was a rare opportunity to sit down with friends, old and new, to discuss all things fishing, check out Mike's latest creations, cast every rod imaginable, and to be treated to the finest meals away from home. I am grateful to Mike and Amanda, and her sisters Jess and Pam for their warm hospitality. Good to see Jonas, JimK, and JimD at the "Toyland" where I picked up enough killer spring creek flies to save me hours at the vise.

Duff, thanks for bringing your Peaks, Scotts, and Claudio - I still haven't come down to earth. Steve, thanks for the bamboo experience. Ezra B, thanks for getting Bob to divulge one of his secret "fly" patterns, the Berkley power worm. Jgestar, loved that Phillipson.

As for the fishing, Penns was just beginning to awaken from its winter sleep. In the morning, water temps were in the low 40s, and never made it to 50F. Still, midges and a few stoneflies hatched in the PM. Sat evening, I managed two browns on top to stoneflies. Fishing was reported to be better on Spring Creek.

Last edited by kinzua on 23 Mar 2009, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post 23 Mar 2009, 13:24 • #70 
Glass Fanatic
Kinzua, it was certainly great to talk fly rods with you. I have to say that your beautiful Wojniki glass was definitely one of the most sublime rods brought to Mike's gathering. I certainly agree that jgestar's little registered Phillipson was exceptionally sweet.

I hope that you had an easy trip back to the Pittsburgh area and I look forward to seeing the copies of your personal correspondence with Russ Peak. I really appreciate it that you are willing to share it with me.

Post 23 Mar 2009, 15:08 • #71 
Master Guide
... That's right Duff ... those pics are, shall we say, out of context? ... Sheeze, I sure have put on some pounds over the long winter ... and what's with the grey hair and wrinkles!? ... when da heck did that happen? ... I don't recall them before ... Hey, Amanda, there's something wrong with that camera of yours ... !

Post 25 Mar 2009, 12:32 • #72 
Hello, To everybody I met over the weekend thank's for letting me cast all the rod's that I wanted to and seeing rod's I've never seen before. A BIG Thank's to Mike and the girl's for the best lunch and dinner's I've have had in a very long time. I'll look foward to meeting you all again at the next rod gathering. I had a fantastic few day's it went by all to fast. Best Regard's to all, Mark

Post 25 Mar 2009, 13:18 • #73 
Emeritus
Wow- that looks like a fun time! I'm totally jealous.

Mike, I love my McFarland build and fished it over the weekend in No. GA. It's great to see the gathering was such a success.

Post 10 Apr 2009, 10:13 • #74 
Master Guide
... Hey all, i'm headed back down to "da hook" for the grannom hatch the weekend of 04/25 ... anyone wanna meet me there for some Penns Creek browns is welcome ...

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply