It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:27

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Oct 2021, 14:46 • #1 
Bought the above rod and reel ~1979 in Casper, WY and only used them a few times. Since then they have traveled with me, along with other fishing rods and reels - which I have used on and off since then. However, I am now old enough to need a bucket list and a BIG one on the list is "Catch a salmon with a fly rod". So, the rod and reel came out and were cleaned up. Up to now, I've been out once and caught nothing, but spent lots of time casting on the lawn and reading lots of books, buying stuff etc. Now, I am interested in what have I got? Is it any good? Is the rod even fiberglass? - it looks as if it is. Is the action any good? Many of the books recommend not using a multiplier reel like the on I have. Do I need to replace it? (So far, I really like the "feel" of the combination, but I don't really know what is good!)
I have caught lots of fish in the past and am comfortable around fish and fishing gear, but fly fishing is basically new, which is why any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Post 25 Oct 2021, 16:38 • #2 
Administrator
Welcome to the Forum!

Do you have a black rod with a black foam grip? I think you have a fly rod made by Daiwa. See this forum thread (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65879) for a photo of a similar Daiwa rod, except in green. The time frame is about right.

Can you post photos of your rod? There is a link to photo posting instructions on the forum front page.

Tom

Post 26 Oct 2021, 12:11 • #3 
Thx for the reply. Trying to upload some pictures now.
(It took quite a few tries, but once I worked it out, it's a good setup.)

Post 26 Oct 2021, 20:44 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
The Martin 72 multiplier is an excellent, rugged, heavy duty fly reel. Use the search function (upper right of the frame) to learn more about it.

Post 29 Oct 2021, 14:30 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
what is the AFTMA rating on the rod ?
those black foam handles were around the time that an inexpensive rod like the Daiwa could be either glass or graphite..
Based on the thickness of the butt section in the picture - If it's a 7wt or less I'd guess glass, if 8wt or up then could be graphite.

That's a terrific reel as bulldog says, could easily handle the smaller salmon. King salmon will need an entirely different rod and reel, but for all the other Alaska salmon that reel will work I think. I'd carry a backup rod though, the only rods I've ever broken while fishing were Daiwa from around that era.
Find a nice 8 or 8.5 ft 7wt glass rod, Fenwick FF857 is readily available and not very expensive as the longer glass isn't fashionable.
The Fenwick and the Martin together would be a great combo.

Post 30 Oct 2021, 16:47 • #6 
Thanks for all the information. I'm sure I'll be back on here.

New Topic Add Reply