It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:10

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Oct 2021, 17:26 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Hi, I was posting a trip report to the "Fishing with Fiberglass Rods" forum, and at some point got the dreaded "internal server error" message, so just decided to continue it in the next post in the thread. But when I try to add a reply it doesn't take me to the full editor, just the bottom of the page.

It's the "Autumn brookies" thread.

Is something wrong with the forum ? Did I do something wrong ? Are the admins just sick of me ? :)

Post 07 Oct 2021, 18:51 • #2 
Master Guide
I’ll bet it’s a combo of the web browser you are using and your computer storing “that page”. Close the browser, delete browsing history and cookies. For PC, out of my wheel house if Apple.

Post 07 Oct 2021, 18:59 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks, that's probably it. I'll be more careful next time !

Post 07 Oct 2021, 19:22 • #4 
Piscator
no, you just have to edit the existing post to add - the forum won't let you follow your own post.

Post 07 Oct 2021, 19:53 • #5 
Administrator
First, the "500 Internal Server Error" comes up when a very small portion of your text is confusing the phpBB software that runs the forum. I don't know if this is unique on our forum or simply a bug in phpBB.

The fix is to find the troublesome text and rewrite it. For instance, cut out half the post and hit the Preview button, if the remaining text posts, the issue was in the text you cut (or vice versa). Paste the cut text back into the editing window and cut a smaller portion. Continue until you find the problem. Usually the trouble is text near the end of a paragraph. Rewrite the text and it should be good to go. Note, this is difficult to do on a cell phone.

Second, you can't reply to your own post. Simply edit the existing post to add the new material.

Tom

Post 08 Oct 2021, 10:20 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I am far from an expert and I really don't know squat, but in my experience, "troublesome text" can often be quotation marks and apostrophes in certain fonts copy/pasted from text editing software into certain BB's or other quirky formatting in those text editors.

I have a few BB's I contribute to that I can only copy/paste text from Notepad.

BTW - Fiberglass Flyrodders ISN'T one I have an issue with when copy/pasting from Word.

Post 08 Oct 2021, 15:13 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks again everyone. Good to know I'm not the only one, and I learned a few tips. Notepad, how I love thee :)

New Topic Add Reply