It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:04

New Topic Add Reply
New member & new to FF
Post 06 Sep 2021, 15:35 • #1 
Sport
Hello all,
Ive recently followed a life long dream and relocated to the Pacific Northwest. Specifically Eastern Washington.
Im new to fly fishing, and love vintage tools and equipment. I just purchased 2 fiberglass fly rods today from Ebay.
Both are Horrocks-Ibbotson Ike Walton's. Rod #1 is a 1348 8' black in color, and #2 is model ? 8'4" and reddish brown in color. I want to think about reels ( vintage for sure ) for both but A, dont know anything about the line/weight of either rod? And B, other than wanting anti reverse selector, and a drag adjust Im not sure what a good reel to match to either of these would be? I like vintage Diawa and 1960's to 70's design and reel construction and quality. Doesnt have to be Diawa. Any thoughts or knowledge on the rods or reel recommendations I would gladly appreciate. I think, the rods are in the 5-7 line weight range but wont know more until I recieve them, or enlightened by a knowledgeable member. Thanks in advance!

Post 06 Sep 2021, 16:16 • #2 
Hmm! Buying stuff of the auction site is sometimes risky. When you get the rods, take them out of the box, put them together and shake them up and down. Do they feel like wet noodles or nice and crisp. Fiberglass rods are notoriously heavy and slow action, especially the older ones. I'd not start investing is more gear till you find out what you have already purchased. Being new to the game means there will be a learning curve before you become proficient. We all went through it. And I think most will agree with me starting off with heavy, lumbering equipment will not make the adoption of the sport either easy or enjoyable.

Post 06 Sep 2021, 18:17 • #3 
Administrator
Hi CrustyRusty, Welcome to the Forum!

The Horrocks Ibbotson Ike Walton rods might be from the late 60s/early 70s. HI was purchased by Gladding in 1967 and became part of their US Fiberglass conglomerate. Your 8 foot rod has the more modern HI label. I have not seen a catalog listing for the Ike Walton rods, but hopefully a forum member has one.

Neither of your rods are marked with a suggested fly line, so the usual starting point for an 8 or 8'6" rod is a 7 weight line. Try a 6 weight and an 8 weight. The correct line is the one that is most comfortable for you to cast at your usual fishing distances. Don't get hung up on what the rod is supposed to be, go with how it fishes.

Both rods have metal ferrules, which need to be kept clean. See this post showing how to clean them.

Tom

Post 06 Sep 2021, 21:04 • #4 
Sport
Thanks Tom thats a lot of useful info. Im in sponge mode! lol
Canton

Post 11 Oct 2021, 18:41 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome and enjoy!

Post 28 Nov 2021, 20:13 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome to the forum. I’m on the other side of the mountains, where are you? I find myself frequently going over Snoqualmie Pass in the summer for small stream fishing either in the Cle Elum area or as far as the Yakima area. Occasionally even fishing the Yakima. Lots of opportunities!

Post 29 Nov 2021, 00:08 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
If you like vintage rods, I will give you a short list of rods that you should get (at least for trout fishing).

1) Fenwick FF-79. This is an 8' 5/6wt rod. I actually don't fish mine much because I fish modern rods in this configuration, but this rod is a great all around trout rod.
2) Phillipson Master MF-80 (the phillipson version is 6 wt or even 7wt) but just as magical.

I am giving you this advise to avoid collecting dozens of inexpensive vintage glass rods. There are some really nice rods out there that aren't Phillipson's or Fenwicks, but there is a reason these rods are talked about so much here.

As for old Daiwa's There are some that are very nice and others that are noodly. I wouldn't want to learn on the noodly rods.

For learning with a vintage rod, the Fenwicks are probably a bit more forgiving than the Phillipsons.

New Topic Add Reply