It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:59

New Topic Add Reply
New member from Maine
Post 19 Aug 2021, 13:44 • #1 
Sport
Hello all - I'm new to the forum after being encouraged to join by a fellow member. I have a growing, busy family so I tend to talk about fishing and buy new things instead of actually fishing but it's a way to stay involved. I like to think someday this dynamic will flip and fortunately, I'll have plenty of rods to go around once my kids are old enough to appreciate it. I'm looking forward to learning some new things from this community and quality discussions with like minded people. Cheers!

Post 23 Aug 2021, 16:49 • #2 
Sport
Welcome to the group!! There is tons of great information here

Post 24 Aug 2021, 13:15 • #3 
Guide
You’ll enjoy this forum and the knowledge of its members 100% x 10 … Great Folks , Amazing Talents , and Priceless Information … Now if you could learn a rain dance or 2 and put some water back in those lakes,rivers, and streams up there Rangeley way , it’d be very much appreciated ….? Welcome to the Forum

Post 24 Aug 2021, 15:31 • #4 
Welcome from a fellow New Englander! Now if I can just get back there without having to pay those high taxes....Still looking though. Sending you a PM.

Post 24 Aug 2021, 19:08 • #5 
Sport
Too funny. I was just talking with a friend about a fall Rangeley trip. I’m surprised flows aren’t better with all the rain we’ve had this summer.

Post 25 Aug 2021, 21:25 • #6 
Guide
Rains all been south Doublehaul , west is pretty dry , on top of the major screw up and repairs with the new Upper Dam (water is suppose to go through , not under ) it’s been a tough go , early ice out , no snow melt , you’d better check conditions on your fall trip , still fishing to be had , but it’s spotty … Again , a rain dance or 2 might help out some … ?

Post 29 Aug 2021, 08:44 • #7 
Guide
Welcome from a fellow New Englander

Post 29 Aug 2021, 15:56 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Just up there a few weeks ago, those kids will grow up sooner than you think.

Post 29 Aug 2021, 19:56 • #9 
Sport
That’s unfortunate to hear that about western Maine. I hadn’t even considered it given how much of a washout it’s been near Portland. I’m always up for a good rain dance and it sounds like it’s needed. I’m mostly looking to troll a few streamers behind a canoe with my son so hopefully the low water won’t be too much of an issue. Worst case, we’ll stay plenty busy catching chub and perch.

The kids are growing faster than I can believe. I just brought the baby out on her first fly fishing adventure in the hiking backpack this week. She’s my third and I’m finally realizing that the window to make these memories is really tight. She also seemed to enjoy it which was an added bonus.

Post 30 Aug 2021, 07:41 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Doublehaul, forgive me if you know this, but the comments about low flow were made before the heavy recent rains, and that's not the half of it when it comes to flow on any of Maine's major watersheds (similar in many other states as well). Seasonal drawdowns, lake level wishes of campowners, brief daily flows for rafting, power generation, minimum flows for fish and wildlife needs--all affect stream flows daily, within the context of predictated rainfall and YTD data. Even in a dry year, taking the Saco watershed as an example, it may look like gravel and puddles one day, and nice class 2 canoe water the next. Same for the rivers up country. Upcountry, the Carrabasset may look like a pile of rocks on Sunday and a raging torrent on Monday. And so on throughout the state. Check the FLOW website and the USGS gauging stations for the waters you want to fish. When you do, note the recorded flow for the day. Soon you will learn what a figure, let's say 1000 cfs means for that stream as to both fishing prospects and wading comfort. Some flows are ideal for only part of a day, and you can learn how long a scheduled release (let's say from500 cfs to 1500 cfs) will take to reach the section you plan to fish, and how/when it recede. This is similar to following the tide as saltwater anglers do.

Post 30 Aug 2021, 17:38 • #11 
Guide
Whirlpool is spot on (see what I was saying about priceless information ) , there “is water” in the lakes and ponds for fishing , resident guides have been targeting Stillwater trips due to the lower levels at area rivers & streams , our camp is on Mooselook and lake levels have been low all year ( again Upper Dam repair) , but smaller streams and a lot of rivers remain at very low norms , although it does open up new fish able water on some rivers like the rapid where you would normally see the raft folks , if you wanted to search it out of course ? Either way , never an excuse to rule out a trip to Rangeley , always something going on , even if only just a trip to the historic angling museum ??? Enjoy whatever the rest of the year brings you with your family and fishing endeavors …

Post 02 Sep 2021, 06:40 • #12 
Sport
Thank you both for the excellent info. A better appreciation for CFS #s would have probably saved me some gas money on dirt roads over the years. I still would have gone but my game plan would have been different. Most of those trips are usually saved in the final hours after a lot of trial and error. Would be great to have a smarter starting point. Same goes for water temps.

Post 02 Sep 2021, 07:33 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Learn the waters at minimum flow. The catching will probably be not too good at that time, but this is part of fishing them later in better seasonal, daily, or weekend flows. Spend a day watching from low to highest release rate and back down to low (or the other way around in the less common pattern of midday shutdowns). Make a visual note of the conditions, and a note of the CFS rate.

Post 05 Sep 2021, 06:28 • #14 
Rain dancing, like fly fishing is highly dependent on timing :)

Post 06 Sep 2021, 18:24 • #15 
Guide
Yes , timing is everything , course it can m have a completely different meaning for me with my 2 weeks in Nov walking the beach at Siesta Key , there will be “no rain dancing” during that little window , usually coincides with a cold front and a northerly wind , messes up walk-in the beach with the few remaining resident Snook ….. it’s a fine art to perfect ???

New Topic Add Reply