It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:50

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Jun 2021, 17:50 • #1 
Sport
Hello all. I’ve been reading and learning from the forum for some time now. I’m happy to be a new member. As I approach retirement, I’ve been returning to some of my childhood hobbies, including fishing. As with many others my age, I started out with cane poles and later learned to cast with a Zebco 202 mounted on an old fiberglass rod. When the Zebco lines became too twisted to cast, I’d switch to the baitcast reels mounted on steel rods that my grandparents gave me (I made lots of birdnests). Eventually, my dad let me use his fly rod. I have no idea what make it was (I don’t even remember if it was bamboo or fiberglass). I do remember it had a fly reel with a spring mechanism that would automatically take up loose line when I pressed a lever. When our own kids were young (early 1980s), I bought a cheap fiberglass fly rod and reel. We enjoyed using it, but I don’t remember what brand it was or what ever became of it. Fast-forwarding to the present, I placed an order today for the new LL Bean Pocketwater Glass Fly Rod Outfit (4-pc 7'6" 4-Weight). This will replace the inexpensive Piscifun Fly Fishing Kit Combo I bought a while back to test whether I still enjoy fly fishing. It turns out I enjoy fly fishing more than ever. I fish mostly for sunfish (bluegill, redear, and similar species), and I usually fish from my canoe in the many small public lakes in northeastern Oklahoma. Although I occasionally catch bass and catfish by mistake, it is the sunfish that I enjoy most. Best wishes. I look forward to getting to know you on the forum.

Re: New Member
Post 09 Jun 2021, 18:43 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome aboard from another Okie. This is certainly the right forum to further your addiction.

Larry

Re: New Member
Post 09 Jun 2021, 19:19 • #3 
Sport
Thanks, Canoeman1947. I can't claim to be a full Okie. I spent my first 55 years in Kansas. My wife and I have been down here about 8 years now.

New Topic Add Reply