It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:02

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Apr 2021, 17:55 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
created a PM today that I wanted to include an image - but the controls are different for PM’s vs Forum Posts.

Can this feature be added to PM’s?

thanks.

Post 18 Apr 2021, 18:16 • #2 
Master Guide
Someone, I think bulldog, gave a method a while back. Compose a reply to a thread in the forum, insert your pics, but don't post the reply. Instead, copy the post (Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy in Windows) then go to your PM and paste, Ctrl-V. It's a bit of a pita but it works.

Post 18 Apr 2021, 22:15 • #3 
Administrator
corlay wrote:
created a PM today that I wanted to include an image - but the controls are different for PM’s vs Forum Posts.

Can this feature be added to PM’s?

No. The feature was added for forum posts so that photos would not keep disappearing with time. Hopefully the photos will be here as long as the forum is online. However, the forum storage needs have increased drastically due to photos.

PMs are typically a short term message between two people. If we add photos to them we will further inflate the storage needs with no long term forum benefit. Sure, you can work around as suggested. I can't control that. But please don't. If you really need email capabilities (i.e., sending photos) please use your email system. Or add photo server image links via Imgur (or other host) to your PMs the old fashioned way.

Tom

Post 19 Apr 2021, 06:20 • #4 
Piscator
I make a habit when possible of finding my old photos in the older posts and using the already-stored image.
Reusing them doesn't cost storage space, but a bit of bandwidth.
And yes, Tom and I both frequently swap images in pm's, and one way or another, those same links are used/re-used in the open forum.
You can always help the storage load by sizing your photos before you upload them.
If you still have reliable (and acceptable) photoserver, img links from there post both in pm's and open forum.

I just dug these photo links from pm swaps, and each was also used in a thread on the forum

Post 19 Apr 2021, 17:08 • #5 
Administrator
One can find their old images with the forum search*. Find your post, then click the Edit or Quote button/link. That will pop up a post editing window with all the information from that post. Look for the image code in the post.

The image code looks like this -
Code:
[rimg]https://images.fiberglassflyrodders.com/u/83/Humphreys-Reel-6%20%281%29.jpg[/rimg]
Copy the whole code, including the [rimg] and [/rimg] or [timg] and [/timg] tags. Paste that into your new post or PM. The software will display your existing photo in the new location.

If I'm PMing an image that has not been used on the forum, I upload it to Imgur, but any photo hosting website will do. I'm not worried about Imgur going bankrupt and leaving my PMs without images. If the message is more complex, I'll send an email.

As always, make sure you keep a copy of your photos on your computer. They are your intellectual property.

Tom

* Forum search is our friend! Upper right corner of the screen. Make sure to put your username in the Search for Author field.

Post 19 Apr 2021, 21:55 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
To an dummy like me it is just so much easier to send an email to start with.

New Topic Add Reply