It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:41

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Mar 2021, 23:11 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
We had a conclave all planned last year in the spring, which had to be cancelled due to the pandemic. I felt that trying to set one up for this spring was too early, but felt that later in September or early October should afford us enough time for most people to be vaccinated that are going to be vaccinated. Since I live about 350 miles north of Austin, I wasn't sure about how the fishing might be in the Austin area at that time of year. Therefore I consulted with Aaron Reed, who after all wrote the book on fishing that area. He said September and October is his favorite time of year for fishing the streams in the central Texas area. I would propose the weekends of Oct. 2-3 or Oct. 9-10. We generally start these on Friday and continue through to Sunday. Of course I usually show up 2-3 days early, because I live 350 miles away and don't want to drive that far for just a couple of days fishing. Last year we planned to camp at Tejas Camp on the North Fork of the San Gabriel. Aaron told me there are a couple of other places that might work, but he wants to check them out and will let me know. How many people are interested in attending this clave, and does anybody else have some ideas about location or time? I am not really ready for any detailed planning at this time, just gathering ideas.

Larry

Post 27 Mar 2021, 10:09 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
X

Last edited by bassackwards on 27 Mar 2021, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Mar 2021, 10:44 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
We have a lot of the same anti-vax people here Curtis, but as I stated by October anybody who wanted a vaccination should have had one by then. I had my second vaccine over a month ago.

Larry

Post 27 Mar 2021, 11:59 • #4 
Piscator
Hill country fall bite is killer.

Post 27 Mar 2021, 15:24 • #5 
Administrator
Just a reminder that masks and vaccinations can very quickly become political. I encourage posters to be mindful of what they write before clicking the Submit button. In addition, the forum policy is not to allow COVID advice (or humor or rants).

That said, a thread for gathering ideas is OK. As a past attendee of a Texas Glassic, I really would like to attend another one. However, many as yet unrealized public health plans must succeed before a fall 2021 Glassic could occur in an safe manner. Based on the stark reality of the past 15 months, October 2021 is an optimistic concept. Please allow the discussion to include some alternate future dates.

Tom

Post 27 Mar 2021, 18:31 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Tom, there are no definite plans at this time, but exploring people's interest and ideas regarding another clave this year.

Larry

Post 29 Mar 2021, 20:19 • #7 
Sport
I would be interested in this.

Post 30 Mar 2021, 07:53 • #8 
Guide
You can count me in.

Mike

Post 30 Mar 2021, 14:44 • #9 
Guide
My thinking on timing lines up with Larry's for all the reasons he mentioned. I will be there, work schedule allowing.

The other places I had in mind include Pedernales State Park near Johnson City (a few more amenities, primarily Pedernales River inside/outside park, no fishing license required in park) ... still close enough for daytrips to the San Marcos, Blanco, and Guadalupe Rivers ... Onion Creek and the Llano too, for that matter).

Another option I don't know much about but maybe Larry could research is Spencer Canoes and Shady Grove Campground on the San Marcos River in Martindale. There may be other options on that stream too. TPWD has recently leased some new access points along the river, making for a variety of float trips.

Finally, Tejas Camp on the North San Gabriel is indeed pretty good. There are a couple of campsites with huge, spreading oaks that can accommodate 20_30 people easily. No showers, no RV spots (though Cedar Breaks and Russell Parks, nearby on Lake Georgetown, have them). The forks of the Gabe, Berry Creek, Brushy Creek, and Lampasas are all easy from Tejas Camp.

Post 19 Apr 2021, 20:17 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
What year is this anyway? I’m local, vaccinated, and in if we can do it.

Post 29 Apr 2021, 12:08 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
After consultation with several concerned parties, a date has been set and a location determined. The dates of the Glassic will be October 8-10, 2021. Location for the gathering is at Cedar Breaks Park on Lake Georgetown just outside Georgetown, TX. I have reserved campsite 016. Each campsite can hold up to 8 campers. There are about 6 people in the group I usually camp and fish with, so that accounts for one campsite. Everybody else who plans to come will need to make their own reservations. As usual, this will be a largely disorganized event, meaning plenty of time to play with rods and reels, and plenty of places to fish. There are a lot of good places to fish in the area, so people don't have to be bunched up in one area. The campsites have water and electricity, and there are bathrooms and showers available. If you don't already have a copy of Flyfishing Austin and Central Texas by Aaron Reed, I would strongly recommend purchasing one (available through Amazon), as it has a great deal of information about fishing in this area. Hopefully the author will be able to attend this event. Hopefully, everything will go smoothly, and we will be able to safely have this event this year. If there is a major surge of the pandemic, all bets are off and the event will be cancelled again. I am sure I have left something out, so questions are welcome.

Larry

Post 03 May 2021, 10:07 • #12 
Master Guide
This is fantastic news. Count me in, too!

Post 11 May 2021, 21:15 • #13 
Guide
Magic time of year!
Hope to make it!

Post 16 Jun 2021, 09:40 • #14 
Guide
I'm in! I got site #020 which is right next to 016. Friday through Sunday.

Post 16 Jun 2021, 12:04 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Well, there goes the neighborhood. :eek

Larry

Post 16 Jun 2021, 12:53 • #16 
Guide
The neighborhood was gone when an Okie reserved a space there! :P

Post 05 Aug 2021, 11:15 • #17 
Master Guide
I’m in… possibly me plus 1

Post 10 Sep 2021, 19:24 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
The event is just under a month away. I don't think the Corps of Engineers will be closing the campground this time. I know there are still some concerns of the recent surge in the pandemic, but I really need to get away. We got shut out last year, and instead of getting to go to a conclave I spent that time in the hospital for three weeks with severe sepsis. I have gradually whipped myself back into some semblance of physical wellbeing, though I have apparently developed chronic kidney disease, but I have been vaccinated and have even received a booster, so I'm ready to face the world. My wife was concerned about me going into crowded conditions, but I plan on actually preparing all or most of my meals in camp rather than my usual lazy way of going into town and letting somebody else cook my food. Hoping that all goes well, I really need to connect with some fish. The last two years have not been good for my physical and mental wellbeing.

Larry

Post 20 Sep 2021, 07:24 • #19 
Guide
I'm now fully retired, vaccinated, and ready for some time in the woods and on the water. I too plan on staying in camp and preparing my meals. I think that we are going to have a grand time.

Post 21 Sep 2021, 09:10 • #20 
Master Guide
I'm still planning on attending. I am wondering about the campsite availability and if this one is a suitable spot for car camping? I'll be coming down solo so would plan to turn my jeep Grand Cherokee into my sleeping cave. I haven't found a link to reserve a campsite online. Do I need to call to reserve?

Post 21 Sep 2021, 16:54 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
I just took a look at the Cedar Breaks Park reservation site on recreation.gov. Anybody that has waited until now to reserve a campsite is out of luck for that weekend. However, each campsite can hold up to 8 people. With my usual group of myself, keebranch, OKMike, Crappiecat, Wabash1967, and possibly another friend of mine, that would leave room for a couple more people. I know that Jerry Hammon (RevTCF) has also reserved a site, and he could probably take a few more at his site. The sites are adjacent (campsites 016 and 020). I know some of the people who are interested live nearby, so will be coming in for the day rather than staying over.

Larry

Last edited by Canoeman1947 on 21 Sep 2021, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

Post 21 Sep 2021, 17:38 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
I'd love to go but the 500+ mile drive each way is too much in one week for me. Hope you all have much fun.

Post 24 Sep 2021, 09:16 • #23 
Master Guide
We’ll miss you Trev. I guess we’ll have to come your way for the smallmouth action some pay!

Post 07 Oct 2021, 11:23 • #24 
Guide
Living Waters Fly Fishing in Round Rock is having their Annual Brushy Creek Fall Fish Off this Saturday, October 9th if anyone is interested.
You can find the details on their FB page.

Edward

New Topic Add Reply