It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:22

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Who Won?
Post 16 Nov 2008, 16:23 • #1 
Guide
And when do we get to see the new LOGO?

I've been chomping at the bit to see what comes up. I know it will be classy.

Who Won?
Post 16 Nov 2008, 16:27 • #2 
Administrator
Tom is working on getting all the choices posted soon!

Who Won?
Post 16 Nov 2008, 17:02 • #3 
Administrator
Won? We just finished the primaries and we have 24 submissions. Now we have to VOTE!

Tom

Who Won?
Post 17 Nov 2008, 01:04 • #4 
Guide
I just voted. Image

Who Won?
Post 17 Nov 2008, 04:19 • #5 
Administrator
I set up the two polls last night. I clicked the "do not show results" button so that no one would be influenced by the running vote tally. The software won't even let me see the interim results! When the poll ends, the winner will be a surprise for all of us.

Tom

Who Won?
Post 18 Nov 2008, 16:16 • #6 
Master Guide
Tom, you're really making it tough. You should give us all 4 different votes. I have more than one logo I like. If we voted on 4 different ones, then we could have a really great contest going. A round robin of the sorts. But I'm guessing it's too late to do that, right?

Who Won?
Post 18 Nov 2008, 17:23 • #7 
Administrator
To make matters worse, some guys submitted more than one entry, figuring Cam and I would select our favorite. In my exuberance, I posted all of them. Also, the polls here can only get ONE entry. I think you are right - too late!

Tom

Who Won?
Post 18 Nov 2008, 17:30 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I agree there are several that I really like and am having a tough time deciding ...

Who Won?
Post 19 Nov 2008, 07:28 • #9 
Master Guide
Yea, tough choice, all are good. I kinda took the one that I thought would look best on a shirt or bumper sticker etc. Of course it HAS to look good on the web home page too!

Mike

Who Won?
Post 19 Nov 2008, 07:34 • #10 
Master Guide
Well, what are friends for? Just vote for mine and everybody on the forum will be happy, except for 23 or so. That's a pretty good percentage of satisfied people so I see nothing wrong with that, what?

Who Won?
Post 19 Nov 2008, 16:50 • #11 
Master Guide

Wait, vote for mine. I need a net!

Who Won?
Post 20 Nov 2008, 04:55 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I've been trying to keep track of which thread (Logo group 1 or 2),
has had the most *NEW tags on it most often, each time I access the forum.
I assume the *New is triggered each time a person casts a vote?

My completely un-scientific, unofficial observation is group 1.

Who Won?
Post 20 Nov 2008, 06:01 • #13 
Master Guide

Corlay, I hope your right. HA.

Who Won?
Post 20 Nov 2008, 06:09 • #14 
Administrator
I figured out how to check the polls last night. Right now, the votes are all over the map. Most importantly, no one entry has more than 25%. I think we should let the voting continue for all 24 entries for one week. Then I will close those polls and the top 5 will have a runoff. If a contestant has more than one entry in the top 5, they can decide if they wish to have one or two entries in the runoff.

Comments?

Tom

Who Won?
Post 20 Nov 2008, 06:26 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
jgestar wrote:
Then I will close those polls and the top 5 will have a runoff. If a contestant has more than one entry in the top 5, they can decide if they wish to have one or two entries in the runoff.

Comments?
Tom,

Yeah, this is what I was afraid of ...
Some Artist's multiple submissions are really just subtle variations on a single theme (like the "Casting Bears", "Fiberglass Flyrodders" vs. "New Fiberglass Flyrodders", etc. for example ... ) and listing them as separate entries will dilute the voting across each variation.

Using the bears again as an example, it's quite possible that, taken as a group,
they in fact *do* hold a 25%+ "mandate" ...

I would suggest that each grouping of variations on a single theme, be treated as a single entry.
Add-up all the votes for each variation and treat them as one, when calculating the final 5 for the run-off.
Then, in the run-off, force the creator of the logo to choose one variation only to put forward for the final vote;
or auto-select the variation that received the most votes in the 1st round.
Either way ...

I think that would be fair.

Who Won?
Post 20 Nov 2008, 06:26 • #16 
Master Guide
Well, since you ask for comments. If you think that the Bush/Gore election was a circus, then you should have seen some of my union elections. I suggest we stick to the announced time frame. A majority vote is expected, no more, and that could theoretically be as little as 5% of the total. If a tie, then all rules are off and then perhaps another vote with a two week time frame on the top five would give everyone a say. I don't see a reason to be in a hurry unless someone wants to order t-shirts for an ice fishing clave. Glenn

Who Won?
Post 20 Nov 2008, 10:12 • #17 
Master Guide
Not that I was asked for my opinion but my take is this. If we add up multiple variations on a theme as one entry that isn't fair to those that just submitted one variation. We all could have submitted variations on a theme submitted if we had known it would all be combined into one. Does this make sense? To keep it fair I think each vote at this point has to be taken as is. My two cents.

Who Won?
Post 20 Nov 2008, 10:36 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I think we should go with the one I voted for.
RFMcD

Who Won?
Post 20 Nov 2008, 10:51 • #19 
Master Guide
If it is mine, I agree.

Who Won?
Post 20 Nov 2008, 10:58 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Tom, I like the idea of voting it down to 5 since there are so many.

Who Won?
Post 20 Nov 2008, 11:52 • #21 
Master Guide
Tom, that sounds good. Do you think we could post large images when we get it down to 5? I would like a closer look at the logos, I probably just need to get a bigger screen for this computer.

Who Won?
Post 20 Nov 2008, 11:58 • #22 
Master Guide
A run-off amongst the top 5 would certainly be a fair way to handle it.

If I can tell you a story, anytime my wife and I need to decide on something I give her my top 3 choices and she picks her favorite of the three.
Then she gives me her top three picks and I choose my favorite of those 3.
Then we flip for it.
Each has a role in the decision-making process and no one can complain that they didn't have a say.
It's fair and very efficient.

Of course, since she's my wife, I usually let her win anyway --- but that wouldn't apply here ... Image

Last edited by Anonymous on 20 Nov 2008, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

Who Won?
Post 20 Nov 2008, 13:37 • #23 
Master Guide
If you consider just the top five, and if this is acceptable to all, (most) then let the top five tweak or resubmit their entries. Now, I didn't think that mine was the best entry, I thought it was the second best entry because I couldn't talk my wife, who is an artist, into improving it, (grumble grumble) but, the best was off a bit and a professional graphics designer would likely agree. I am sure we all want the best design that is applicable to the most applications. However, if you look at the Brodin logo it would make a lousy tee-shirt, so maybe we need one design for some applications and a second one for tee shirts and such as color and complex design would work better there. If this is the case, we will need two prizes. For example, a Honda 4cycle 25HP outboard.

Who Won?
Post 21 Nov 2008, 15:04 • #24 
Master Guide
When is the poll closing now? Are we doing the top 5 deal?

Who Won?
Post 21 Nov 2008, 18:50 • #25 
Administrator
Well, I have received comments for certain. It is best to go with the original plan, quoted here so all can see. If there is tie at the end of the contest, then we will figure out a way to repoll.

Quote:
The contest goal is to select a logo for group projects and for the site. The design should be a small, stand alone image that can be used on group projects. The logo will also be used with the photos for the various forum headers and on the Wiki. An example of such a logo design is the stylized lettering:

That logo communicated the company affiliation whether it was on a rod blank or an advertisement.

The design should contain the words "Fiberglass Flyrodders" or if you prefer, the initials "FFR". The design may contain whatever graphic style, text style, or artwork the submitter desires.

This contest will begin on October 1st and submissions will be accepted until November 15th. Tom and I will organize all the logo submissions into an anonymous poll. Members will vote their favorite from November 16th through November 30th. Winning artist and logo design will be announced the first week of December!

Please submit your design by PM to Cameron or email to ***email address removed*** as a. jpeg or. gif file no larger than 200 x 200 pixels. The winner should also have available a high resolution version of the file for use on group projects that need extra fidelity. Please, do not post your submission!

Let's see those creative juices flow! Please feel free to contact Tom or I if you have any questions or concerns.

Cameron
I've highlighted a couple of points in pink. We did indicate that all submissions would go into the poll. One contestant sent 3 variations, but he then sent Cameron a single 200 pixel image and indicated it was his favorite. In addition, the time to change the rules was before we started. Changing the rules in midstream isn't fair to anyone. I'm sorry for waffling earlier in this thread. None of you deserved the confusion that caused.

Tom

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply