It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:27

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Dec 2020, 10:18 • #1 
After telling myself I was going to learn to fly fish for more than 50 years I finally took the plunge two years ago and bought my first rig, a used 6 weight graphite rod that took me a while to master. Where I live in the backwoods of Cental Louiaiana there are few people who fly fish, and no such thing as a fly fishing store, or even a sporting goods store that sells the most basic of fly fishing equipment. Everything I've learned has come from watching YouTube videos and reading everything I had time to read. It's been a slow process but I've managed to get the hang of it relatively well. But I have to say in all honesty, I've loved every minute I've invested in it, I just wish I had given it a try a long time ago.

I've now progressed to owning 6 rods, 5 graphite rods in 4, 5, and 6 weights in various lengths, and my newest acquisition is a vintage fiberglass Herter's rod, along with a few vintage reels. As I progressed in ability, knowledge, and passion I decided I wanted to experience all that I can of the entire fly fishing world. And that included giving fiberglass flyrodding a try. I've lurked on this forum for some time, and acquired a lot of knowledge from it, but it wasn't until I finally bought a fiberglass rod of my own that I felt the need to join.

I'm hoping to continue learning about the whole world of fly fishing, and fiberglass fly rodding, for a long time to come.

Re: New Member
Post 14 Dec 2020, 10:25 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome. You’ll find a good number of posters here who use glass to fish for bass and panfish, many in places a little far from cold water trout fishing, including LA I think. In fact, if you edit your profile (user control panel, upper right corner of the screen) to include some general location info, you may find someone near you with some useful information.

Post 14 Dec 2020, 14:27 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Dan877!

Post 14 Dec 2020, 14:44 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome Dan. I completely sympathize with you. I had to learn to fly fish while living in Brooklyn, NY.

Post 14 Dec 2020, 15:48 • #5 
Guide
Welcome...leaning to fly fish as you are having to is a process...embrace it and enjoy the ride bumps and all.
Carl

Post 14 Dec 2020, 16:37 • #6 
Master Guide
Welcome Dan877 Good to have you on the forum.
It's a great sport and it has something for everyone. You picked the right place to learn about glass rods and chasing fish with them.

New Topic Add Reply