It is currently 23 Sep 2020, 02:23

Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Jul 2020, 23:11 • #451 
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and very excited to be here. I got into fly fishing about two years ago and started out with the ubiquitous 9' 5wt graphite rod. I loved that rod and thoroughly enjoyed every moment of struggling to crack the fly casting code with it. It was just fun to be learning how to fly fish! One thing led to another, however, and I decided to give glass a try. After quite bit of research, including on this forum, I decided to go with an Orvis Superfine Glass 7'6" 4wt. What a sweet rod! Amazing touch and feel, not to mention durability, compared to graphite. Just the tip of iceberg for glass, I know, but a wonderful intro. I fish mainly for trout in Maryland on small to midsize rivers, but have dabbled in mill pond bass and light salt on the Chesapeake Bay. I look forward to nurturing my interest in glass on this forum and hope to learn from all of you.

Cheers,

Tony

Post 15 Jul 2020, 08:21 • #452 
Hello,
Just joined yesterday. I have been fly-fishing since 12' or 13', and as soon as I got into the sport I picked up tying as well. I was stationed in Anchorage, AK and cut my teeth fishing the storied waters of the Last Frontier. Relocated back to the center of the universe aka. Fort Bragg, NC (Fayetteville, NC) in 2014 and then became obsessed with warmwater fly-fishing especially Largemouth Bass in the small ponds and larger lakes in the surrounding area. During my last deployment (2017) I finally pulled the trigger on a Cabelas Prime one piece 8wt, talk about a power noodle, after lurking in the shadows on Facebook groups such as "Bass on the Fly" and some Fiberglass ones as well. Through the many conversations with members on the groups, I finally "squeezed". Since then I have not looked back. There's just something about fighting a fish, no matter the size, on a glass rod.
Since my inculcation into the dark ally ways of fly-fishing, I have picked up an Eagle Claw 6wt (originally for my daughter, but I tend to fish it more!) which is a great rod for the money, just a bit tip heavy. But any 6wt that will load a 8wt saltwater line is money in my book. Looking to expand my arsenal of rods to cover any fishing situation and currently looking to purchase a 3wt for some WNC small stream trout/bass/panfish.

JP

Post 15 Jul 2020, 11:22 • #453 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Choptanked and flies_x_jp!

Post 24 Jul 2020, 17:48 • #454 
Hi,

Long time lurker of the forum (well, a couple years), finally decided to join!

I've been fly fishing and tying flies for about 8 years and fish mostly Western destinations such as the Green River, UT and Lee's Ferry, AZ. Just recently started fishing the Sierra Nevadas.

Always been interested in glass rods and picked up an Eagle Claw CGR 3wt 7'6" about a year and half ago. It's a fun rod, especially for some of the smaller trout of the Sierra Nevadas, but it's a $30 rod and obviously has its limits.

Hope to learn enough to make a decision on a better rod and maybe even build one!! Look forward to the adventure.

Cheers,
Brian

Post 25 Jul 2020, 17:55 • #455 
Master Guide
Welcome Brian! Lots of knowledge here, lots of decisions too.

Tim

Post 28 Jul 2020, 16:27 • #456 
Hi new the the group. I have never really fly fished but have thrown a few flys with rods of my Father/Grandfather. I was young 13-15 years and just sorta worked my way through it. I have recently opened up a couple tubes of fly rods that I have not looked at for years as I was not fishing much and had never really fly fished. I remember fishing just a few times with my Grandfather before he passed when I was 12. My father passed just weeks after I was born so I know nothing about the rods I have, and all my fishing skills are self taught, so I have fun.

Heddon Tubular Glass #G.T. 702 - 7 1/2 question

Golden Gate quality fishing tackle (17) question

Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 New Topic Add Reply