It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:48

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Feb 2011, 13:39 • #26 
Master Guide
Welcome, Ben. It was good to see you join in on the chat room Sunday. Hope you enjoy the FFR as much as I do.

Post 12 Apr 2011, 12:42 • #27 
Hello all. I've been looking in for a few months and just got around to dusting off my Yuku credentials. Thought I'd say hi and also thanks for all the great info I've been picking up. I'm really impressed with the depth of knowledge on this board. And the civility and good humor as well. Most enjoyable.

Mike

Post 12 Apr 2011, 14:06 • #28 
Master Guide
Hey Mike, where are you from exactly?

Welcome!

Post 13 Apr 2011, 11:46 • #29 
Hey, Spencer DT,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Grand Rapids--Cascade actually. I see you're over by the lake.

Mike

Post 19 Apr 2011, 15:09 • #30 
New member here. The brief story: My rod evolution has gone from corroded telescopic aluminum rods as a kid, to solid glass with 2 of 6 eyes present, to mass production glass, to some custom glass, to graphite, and now, back to glass. I started fishing at age 6 and am now 59 but still learning how to fish. Mostly bait or hardware, but my first fly rod at age 10, although I only bought another fly rod a few years ago.

I remember the first used Mitchell 300 I bought in 1972 but as a poor hippie I could not afford a decent rod. Now, I have been picking up some used Fenwick glass rods to fish with. Man, graphite in nice but glass is sweet!

The gods of fishing brought me to bid on a Fenwick FS85 rod to use with a spin reel for steelhead. It turns out the rod is a pre-patent Jimmy Green Fenwick Ferrulite rod made from 2 Grizzly blanks between March and August of 1962 (as best I can tell). I flat lucked out, and have learned a lot about Jimmy Green, and fiberglass rods, in the past few weeks.

One of the guides has a handling break and if someone knows how to patch it (silver solder? or epoxy?) I would appreciate it. I think rewrapping might lower the value and it would certainly change this rod's story so I don't want to do that.

Best,

Rick

"Doctor Rick"

Post 05 Jun 2011, 09:24 • #31 

Hello Fiberglass Flyrodders,

Am a new to your site so I thought I might give you a little background on myself. I belong to the Santa Cruz Fly Fishing Club. I primarily fish central California and the Sierra's, with occasional visits to central Oregon and Nevada. In addition to my fiberglass rods I have three Bamboo rods and several graphite rods. I have really enjoy the insightful posts and replies. Hope there is no problem with be being a newbie and posting some questions. I was wondering if anyone had information on a Steffen 9' 7wt rod I recently acquired. How can I tell if it's fiberglass? It looks a lot like the old Orvis graphite rods ( grey and maroon blank). And I had one other question regarding a rod made by Landmark it's a 9' 10wt. and looks just like the Steffen 7w ( same grey and maroon blank). Is there any connection?

Dennis

Post 05 Jun 2011, 09:40 • #32 
Administrator
Dennis,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! We love questions - ask away.

Your Steffen rod is probably built from graphite. Mark Steffen first began rolling his own graphite blanks. Then he added fiberglass to his product line. He still makes an occasional graphite rod, but the majority of his output is glass.

I am not familiar with the Landmark brand of rods. If the blank is gray and you can see the fibers, it is probably graphite. If the blank is painted, it is very difficult to tell.

Tom

Post 05 Jun 2011, 10:30 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
fiveweight wrote:

And I had one other question regarding a rod made by Landmark it's a 9' 10wt. and looks just like the Steffen 7w ( same grey and maroon blank). Is there any connection?

Dennis

There's a Landmark Component company that used to furnish reel seats for Steffen. I have an old (1990) Steffen glass rod that has a wooden Landmark reel seat. It's possible that Landmark once tried to market fly rods with blanks furnished by Mark but that's only conjecture on my part. Mark's graphite rods are unsanded gray with red wraps so your rod is probably graphite.

Post 05 Jun 2011, 13:22 • #34 
Thanks again Frog and Tom,

Thanks guy's for the quick response. I think you both nailed it, and that they are indeed Graphite:( And there may be something to the Landmark and their connection to Steffen. Would you guy's have any idea to what a Steffen graphite 9' 7wt might be worth? Or should I take the question to another forum?

Dennis

Post 05 Jun 2011, 16:51 • #35 
Administrator
You can still get a new graphite fly rod from Mark S. Depending on condition, the value of a used rod would vary between 25-65% of the price of a new one. An obviously well used rod will be at the bottom of the scale and a minty rod at the top. If the price gets much higher than 65%, it is a better deal to buy a new one. If the rod is damaged in any way, then it won't have much value at all.

Tom

Post 06 Jun 2011, 04:18 • #36 
Thanks, I was just curious. Rod has a great feel, balance. Looking forward to taking it out and throwing some line. It could be a nice rod for either Pyramid lake in Nevada or as I said before on the Deshutes river in Oregon..

Post 15 Jun 2011, 09:19 • #37 

What a great site! I've been away a bit but always check in to get the lastest glass fix.
My home water would be the Mad in Ohio.I fish in the Catskills,West branch Ausable NY,Manistee,Boardman and
the river of my long ago misspent youth the AuSable.
My fav rods 8381 Heddon and Orvis small stream special for well small streams and Far and Fine for the rest with a few back up rods.
Hope to poke my head in more often.
Cheers!
Mike

Post 15 Jun 2011, 12:03 • #38 
Administrator
sloopoke ... the Heddon #8381 is one my favorites as well. Do come by more often.

Post 16 Aug 2011, 06:10 • #39 
New member: Barney, Haven't fished in decades. Retired now. Try fly fishing, never done it. Live in SW Pa. About a month I'll have some equipment. Very interested in Fiberglass, Just to be different. What are the benefits of fiberglass? Anything U think I need to know? Inform me, Thanks

Post 19 Oct 2011, 12:58 • #40 
What a wonderful site, I've read it for about a year and have finally 'signed up.' I've spent 15 years fly fishing (I'm 56) and in that time have fished about 50 graphite fly rods. About a year and a half ago I fished a glass rod and was amazed on levels too numerous to count. Then I found this informative and friendly site, and it has helped me greatly. I'm now down to 4 rods and 3 are glass (Scott F703 and F754, a Steffen 8 ft 5/6, and yes, one graphite- a #5 G2). The casting properties, fish playing delight, and durability of glass is what I've been after for years (guess I'm not a quick study or I'd have figured that out sooner). Thank you all for your information for this past year, I appreciate it. And, if I may make an observation ... catching a 14" rainbow on my #3 Scott or a 20" Shad on my Steffen is truly the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Chris

Post 20 Oct 2011, 07:29 • #41 
Administrator
backing wrote:
. ..is truly the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Agreed. Welcome to FFR.

Post 21 Oct 2011, 12:24 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
Hi there (I sent this once, but I guess it didn't take). I've been following this site for about a year and have enjoyed it immensely. I'm 56 and have been fishing graphite fly rods for about 15 years (and gone through about 50 rods). About a year and a half ago I 'discovered' glass (what a delight). I now have 3 glass rods (and still one graphite) and I can't tell you how much I enjoy them (Scott F 703, F754, and a Steffen 8' 5/6). I appreciate all you have already taught me and the resources you have provided. And, to give an opinion, catching a 14" rainbow on a glass #3 or a 20" shad on my 5/6 is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Keep up the good work.

Chris

Post 07 Nov 2011, 16:54 • #43 
test 1,2 test

Post 11 Nov 2011, 06:25 • #44 
I am new to this forum and as the rest of you I prefer glass (mostly vintage) to other fly flinging sticks. I mostly stillwater fish in farm ponds and local lakes but I am in Maine to see (and fish with) as often as I can. I am also a fly tying junkie. I mosly tie streamers but ALOT of beetles and other nymphs come off of my vices as well. Anyone else here in eastern KS?

Post 12 Nov 2011, 08:48 • #45 
Administrator
Mokan Jeff,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! I live in Overland Park. There are a few other glass forum members in the area too. Do you ever go to BassPro in Olathe on Thursday night when the local fly tying group meets? I haven't been there much this year because of work commitments, but I'm hoping to get back to it before the year ends.

Tom

Post 12 Nov 2011, 17:35 • #46 
Yes I have been there the past 2 weeks, great group of folks. I hope to see you therethis coming thursday. Check out the thread in fly tying on faol, Cheers!

Post 25 Nov 2011, 21:59 • #47 
Administrator
We are on our own domain name and server system. All the Yuku comments above are now moot.

Tom

Post 26 Nov 2011, 10:39 • #48 
Master Guide
This should be great. Thanks to Tom and all our other admins for your work on this!

Post 26 Nov 2011, 16:26 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
I'm back! Thanks Tom for all you do-p-

Post 28 Nov 2011, 09:31 • #50 
Thanks for activating my account.

Take Care,

asg

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply