It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:12

Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 May 2014, 20:20 • #226 
Sport
Yup, have made 2 so far and would like to make a few more but buying blanks, hardware for these and boo is making me broke :)

Post 19 May 2014, 22:32 • #227 
Glass Fanatic
Passion is fueled by the heart...

... And cash... I don't have enough of the latter... :lol

Post 09 Jul 2014, 17:19 • #228 
Hi Fellas,

Being new to the forum just want to drop a quick intro .
My name is Peter (or Pete) Balazs and I am based in the UK. Since 2004 I have done pretty much nothing but flyfishing mixed with a little UL spinning. I have done the latter mainly as I enjoy making plugs. I must confess I have got bored with spinning already but I still like making the plugs.
My love affair with glass did not start when I had my first rod. Ages ago a bloke I used to work for gave me an old Sydney Jarvis of Redditch 8 foot 6weight rod. For a while did not think much of it but when I started small stream fishing the value of the full flex became obvious pretty soon. Since I have acquired a green Cabelas rod and just recently bought some cheap 3 and 4 weight glass, predominantly to see how bad cheap stuff can be. Pleasantly surprised. The current plan is to start building my own later in the year.
I still have a few graphite rods mainly for UL long rod apps as here around me the waters are inhabited mainly by coarse species that require just a different style especially in the winter.
Being busy with a young family most of the time I cannot promise to be the most prolific forum member but happy to tap on where value can be added to a topic.
My aim is to learn as much as I can about using glass (tapers and casting) and hopefully some of you will be able to coach me through my first rod building sessions when the time comes.

Cheers,

Pete

Post 30 Jul 2014, 12:24 • #229 
Sport
Just wanted to give a quick hello from SE Tennessee as I read the forum for a couple of years but just joined recently. I'm retired and and in my mid 60's and have been slowly reducing my accumulation of fly rods and reels over the last year or two to a # that will see at least yearly use.

I kind of fell off the reduction wagon as I recently have bought a couple of 50's-60's vintage rods to give glass rods a try after using graphite and bamboo.

Thanks for having me. I'm not a prolific poster but will try to chime in when I feel I have something to add to a topic.

John

Post 30 Sep 2014, 23:05 • #230 
Greetings from Estonia. Fellow flyfisher reporting for duty. My fishing experience is about a year, mostly fly fishing. Still new to a lot of the things (like where are the fish?) but I am really enjoying tinkering with tackle. I've started making rods - first one was a fiberglass. It's a pity I haven't picked any other rods up after that. Seems like my next one will be fiberglass too. Who knows where this will all end up!

Post 02 Oct 2014, 00:50 • #231 
Hello!

I´m not even a beginner, yet, when it comes to fly fishing with fibreglass rods. My only experience to date is when I practised casting with my uncles fly rod a summer day in the seventies. Yesterday, however, when I was hunting for vinyl albums I found some South Bend glass rods in a second hand store. Four of these rods are fly rods. They are unused with all the stickers/labels still on them. So now I´m the proud owner of said rod. The actual fishing bit is still to be explored...

Seeking information about my purchase I found this forum. applied and was admitted as a member. Looking forward to learn from you guys.

I live in Sweden, am 56 years old and have been fishing since I was a kid. I mostly go spinfishing for sea trout or perch but this may change.

Post 13 Oct 2014, 12:43 • #232 
Hi all, first post. My name is Frans and I live in Limpopo South Africa. Don't get to fish as much as I used but hoping to change this soon. Started my first build on glass after finding 2 pieces of an old 3 piece blank. Got inspired after reading about the short tadpole rods on this forum. Thanks all.

Post 21 Nov 2014, 03:07 • #233 
Hello,
My name is Dohrman, and I live in Dunwoody, Georgia. I have been away from fishing for many years since I moved away from Louisiana. Recently got the bug again, and I have been fishing for Spotted Bass and Stripers from my kayak in Lake Lanier. Since the Chattahoochie River is right by my house, I am also going to try for trout. I still have my Shakespeare Wonderrod I bought in the 60's and have been playing around with it. Makes me wonder why I ever took up golf! I am pretty sure it is an 8 weight, so I will want to get another lighter rod. I am looking at fiberglass, so that is why I am here.

Post 21 Nov 2014, 19:02 • #234 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome to the forum. Many many choices in vintage and new glass rods in the 8-5wt. range. Under 5 wt you are looking at new glass. No matter, you'll find a wealth of info here, a forum for sharing expertise, and a civil group eager to discuss opinions on all things fiberglass! Enjoy!

Post 30 Nov 2014, 16:51 • #235 
Thanks for allowing me to be a Amber of the site. I'm a angler from Austin TX

Post 27 Dec 2014, 10:33 • #236 
New member from the Garden Route of South Africa- being fly fishing for nearly 50 years and started with glass rods - Heddon, Hardy Jets and Fenwick. Joined this forum as South Africa is way behind in the fibre glass fly rod issue to learn more of the modern glass fibre rods although there are one or two rodbuilders who are importing blanks. I hope to secure a rod or two when visiting my wife's family in Wyoming next year.
I still fish small streams with a 7 foot Fenwick blank that I built up when at university - matched with a Hardy Flyweight and a DT2F line. A friend drove over a 6 Foot rod that I cut down from the 7 foot blank - was very disappointed as it was really crushed and irrepairable.
Robin

Post 27 Dec 2014, 11:08 • #237 
Master Guide
Welcome Robin, and a very belated welcome to WLShafor .
Robin you came to the right place to learn about glass rods.
I learn every day! My two cents worth, the Orvis Superfine Glass
series is a great place to start.

Post 12 Jan 2015, 21:45 • #238 
Wow. Have a lot in comon with you. Started tying flies when I was 14 and started fishing glass rods when I was a kid. Lived in Edinburgh Scotland for a year in college and came home with two Hardy Marquis reels I bought over there. These were high class then, and they still are. Lost Dad in May and when I was cleaning up the den I found that he had a brand new, never been cast, Sage fiberglass rod behind the door (still in the rod sack). It is an 8 foot 5-weight and it still has the registration card wrapped around the handle. The guys at Sage told me it was their better glass rod and there are VERY few in this condition. They told me not to use it because some collectors would pay the bucks for it. Dad also still had the Hardy reel that I brought him home from Scotland. I am a pretty serious trout hunter so I would like to fish it ... but also want to learn more about the rod. What can you tell me? The day I land a good fish on this thing will probably be an emotional day.

Post 26 Jan 2015, 03:58 • #239 
Hello world. :)

New member from Croatia. Relatively new in fly fishing world, I have been using mostly graphite rods, but I'm extremly intrigued in fiberglass blanks/rods, and am planning of building my very firs own fiberglass rod this year. Since I'm married and have kids and also working, it will be a miracle if I make just one rod in 2015. :)

Even though we have perfect trout rivers and streams in Croatia, I'm mostly fly fishing for chub on small streams around Zagreb.

I like it a lot.

Post 17 Feb 2015, 16:27 • #240 
Sport
Hello lads, greetings from Poland.

Post 22 Feb 2015, 09:08 • #241 
Hello all,

I just wanted to introduce myself as a new member on the forum. I live in the New River Valley in SW VA. I'm from upstate NY, but have traveled the East coast like a gypsy chasing my career with my loving wife. I've been fly fishing and tying for 28 yrs. I've discovered vintage tackle recently and have come to realize its durability, beauty and how much fun they are to use.

I hope to share with this group my love of the sport and learn from you guys. I'm a novice when it comes to knowledge, but I know what I like and looks cool, so I'll start there.

May your rods forever age and dangle.

Post 16 Mar 2015, 09:58 • #242 
Guide
Hello from Germany!

I am a new member kindly accepted to join this forum. Have been flyfishing for more than 25 years now here in Germany and Scandinavia including a dream trip to New Zealand. My tools of choice are basically split cane but I have been experimenting (succesfully) a lot with graphite and glass tips to my bamboo rods. During 2014/2015 I have built two rods from modern glass blanks after I got a Scott F2. That rod has left my totally confused as it is a dream to cast. I have given it to my Dad. ;) But too late. Building with glass is pure fun too.
So I am between cane and glass now and only future knows what will happen to me.

Dirk

Post 12 Apr 2015, 14:50 • #243 
Glass Fanatic
Hello to all! I guess I ended up here because I finally have the rod I should have had 50 years ago.

I grew up on a sizable farm pond in Ohio, chasing bass and bluegill with a beloved blue Garcia Conolon spinning rod. I would have loved a fly rod then, but didn't know much about fly fishing, had no money for tackle, and no one to teach me, I tossed all sorts of small poppers with my spinning rod, and did fairly well with them.

I finally bought a Wright and Magill Eagle Claw water seal rod and a Pflueger Medalist in 1980, while living in Colorado. I was a miserably poor fly fisherman and really got into hiking to remote mountain lakes with a spinning rod, so the fly gear was packed away for years.

A few years ago a friend told me a $50 graphite rod casts better than the finest glass rods, and that I ought to get one. I live right on the Deschutes River in downtown Bend, Oregon, and on many summer evenings there are little rainbows rising. I bought a cheap Cortland package rod reel and line, and started to learn to actually cast. And actually caught fish. And learned the aesthetics of catch and release of small trout on a dry fly.

I moved up to fancier rods, different weights, and fishing the local rivers. I still was casting poorly, but rather than taking lessons, I used all my fast rods with one weight heavier line, and eventually got my timing down. I also found Tenkara fishing, and started fishing small creeks in remote places, and just using the regular rods when I needed distance. The Tenkara rods are great for catching fish, but I have finally gotten to where I love casting my rods and I find that part of the experience. I recently fished the Crooked River with the Tenkara, but driving out, I found a wide, deep, unwade-able muddy section with fish rising. I got out one of my graphite rockets, and when I hit the timing of the double haul right, I was able to shoot line to the rises and caught a number of them way out on a #18 BWO. Dang, it was fun! I had finally found my niche: Tenkara for smaller rivers, graphite for distance.

Then I went to the Orvis factory store in Vermont. I had been there 45 years before, and was amazed back then at the work ( and money) that went into a bamboo rod. I also saw my first really graceful casting being done in their practice pond. This year I had time to kill on a trip to New England, so I returned to the store. I got a private tour of the factory, and saw them making the new Superfine glass rods. They said I could cast anything I wanted. I looked at the $1000 tip flex Helios, then thought, no, let's try the glass rod. Just why would they make something like that?

I took the rod out, wondering how bad my timing would be. It was great--I could feel just what the line was doing. I aimed for a leaf, and hit it three time in a row. The rod had action on short tosses, but it also shot line plenty far enough. It was just plain fun.

I couldn't get that rod out of my mind. I started reading this forum and the Manifesto at the airport heading home, and by the time I sat through my second and third flight delay I had ordered the 4 wt from Orvis.

So now I have a rod which feels great for most of my uses. The Tenkara and the graphite will still occupy the short and long, but that Orvis superfine will be my daily go-to rod.

Sure wish I could have had it 50 years ago....

Post 12 Apr 2015, 17:56 • #244 
Master Guide
Welcome Newfy Dog, I also really like the Orvis glass rods. I'm the proud owner of the 805 model and would like to get the 4 wgt someday. Glass really fits some of us when we get tired of over lining graphite rods so we can feel them. I think this forum is great in every way except it is hard on my wallet with all the great info and pics that make me want more stuff!
I'm sure you will enjoy and learn a lot here.

Post 30 Apr 2015, 11:56 • #245 
Hi All,

My names Andre, another South African joining the site following the spark of interest in Glass here in SA over the last few years, but with very little info on the ground here, looking forward to learning more...

I based in Cape Town, and fish for pretty much anything that swims... the bulk of my fishing over summer is on the magical little Freestone streams we have in the mountains surrounding Cape Town... Superb waters and fish.. and probably the perfect waters for Glass...
The rest of my summer fishing is chasing Carp in the various rivers lower down, as well as any ditch or pond I can find the dirty bastards in... The rest of the time I'm chasing Saltwater fish offshore here, or in the estuaries, or Mozambique, The indian ocean Islands and Oman in the middle east....

Currently busy with my first glass rod since I was 7 years old ( 28 years ago!! ), an Epic 686 which I'm building up... Wanted a rod for the carp and the stillwater trouting I do over the winter as I'm lucky enough to have access to some incredible private still waters boasting a large number of 10lb plus fish... but already looking at some lighter models for the streams.. current small stream weapons being a Sage 00#, so ideally would be looking at something as light as possible on the glass front...

Anyway, thats me, thanks for having me... looking forward to learning as much as I can, and sharing my experiences with my glass once its built up and fishing...

A couple pics of of the fish and fishing in my neck of the woods..

Small Stream Freestone Bows:

Some mud bones:

Hope to be chasing all these on my 686 soon!

Post 30 Apr 2015, 13:11 • #246 
Master Guide
Welcome Andre! You can learn a lot here. Please keep posting those awesome pictures, I love seeing pics of places I'll never get to fish.

Post 14 May 2015, 11:27 • #247 
Sport
Hello All,
Been fly fishing for about ten years or so now. Here in SC I fish mainly for smallmouth and panfish, with a few trips a year up to the Chattooga. I was fortunate enough to marry a Swede, and not only did her father introduce me to fly fishing but I get to spend summers in Sweden. While there I fish quite a bit for pike, as well as a few trips after trout and grayling.
I had only fished with graphite until recently, when I decided I "needed" another rod for smallmouth. The budget is a bit tight, so I started looking around for cheaper options and noticed that a lot of the inexpensive rods I saw online were glass. That led me to this site, and after hours of pleasurable reading, I ended up with what I think was a decent deal on an 8' Heddon Pal 8385. I fell in love with the rod (especially after years of fishing an "inexpensive" $150 piece of graphite), and now a short while later I have added a Fenwick FF80 and am thinking of bribing the mailman to leave the ordered Silaflex at my neighbor's house!

I noticed while looking around on here in the past that there were quite a few posts that asked for information and then provided no follow up photo. Since many of the responses to those posts were helpful to me, I thought I should post a pic myself. So here's one of the Heddon with the first smallmouth I took on it :-)

Thanks again for all the info!
Jon

Post 14 May 2015, 20:07 • #248 
Master Guide
Welcome Jon, sounds like you already are on the road to ruin.

Tim

Post 15 May 2015, 07:01 • #249 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome Andre! Holy Crap those are some beautiful fish!!!

Welcome Jon! Hard to beat the old classic Fenwicks!

John

Post 23 Jun 2015, 14:19 • #250 
Hi you all mates!! I´m new to glass world. I´ve been fishing carbon since a few years ago. I fish nymphs almost all the time but it´s time to learn dry fly. Now my Blue Halo blank is in the way to Spain. A jade colour in line 3. I will need some advices of glass building... I´ve built some carbon so I expect that glass could be the same. Thanks you for your patience and excuse my poor english!!

Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply