It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:53

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Feb 2012, 21:15 • #76 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome ...
abandon all hope now. :D

Post 06 Feb 2012, 23:04 • #77 
Emeritus
Hi Mark! Welcome to Fiberglass Flyrodders. I'm pleasantly surprised to see you here. We'll need to get together at RMA to talk glass now along with fly tying. See ya soon!

Post 08 Feb 2012, 09:41 • #78 
Just rejoined this great site, as I likely had a previous login. Love the information exchange here. I have a number of graphite fly rods in varying weights, which I enjoy fishing; however, the rod I grab the most for small eastern streams is my Steffen S-glass 7'9" 3/4. I spoke directly with Mark Steffen prior to him building it to get an idea for his rod preferences for the fishing I do, and as many already know, he turns out a fantastic rod. I'm out of Northern VA and get out west to WY, MT, and ID to fish with my brother at least once a year.

Post 16 Feb 2012, 21:00 • #79 
Guide
I live in northern Virginia. Started fly fishing with my grandpa at the age of 11. That was 31 years ago. Been fly tying and rod building for most of that time. Fished the Sierras, San Bernardinos, Rockies from NM to Montana, but very little here on the East Coast. Looking to correct that little oversight starting this year. I love all fly rod, be they glass, bamboo or graphite. Just built a little 6' 6" 3 wt. Lamiglas fiberglass rod that I intend to put to use in the Shenandoah NP streams this year.

You have a great forum here and I've enjoyed browsing through it. Nice to see that so many people love fishing as much as me.

Cheers.

Post 17 Feb 2012, 00:00 • #80 
Master Guide
Hello, I'm a new member that has been lurking awhile, live in the Phila Pa area. Have been fishing many years and make most of my own rods and some for friends as well. Am building a 7' Kettle Creek right now.

I like older equipment and fishing fiberglass & I'm glad there's a site like this.

Thank you!

Post 17 Feb 2012, 20:10 • #81 
Master Guide
Hello, new guy here. I live in Rhode Island and looking to add a fiberglass rod to use with a heddon 300 reel. I noticed another guy here uses a scott with his! Awesome! Not sure what I want yet but look forward to trying it again! Is anyone here using a heddon fiberglass flyrod? I have never used one.

So is this the daily board for discussions? Still trying to see how the website works ...

Post 18 Feb 2012, 08:13 • #82 
Sport
Hello all. Been lurking for awhile. I live in the Pioneer Valley area of Western MA, and spend most of my time on the Westfield River. Also fish a lot in the Great North Woods of NH (Androscoggin, Upper CT, and lots of little brookie streams). I have a growing collection of glass. My favorite is 6'6' 3wt Lami build.

Post 19 Feb 2012, 05:57 • #83 
Master Guide
Hello everybody,
I'm Antonio, living near Verona (North Eastern Italy).
Slowly growing collection of fiberglass flyrods, but more frequently fishing them.
warmest regards

Post 21 Feb 2012, 08:29 • #84 
Hello all, I just joined the forum. I sold my last boat (now too much work for an old guy) and planning to get back to fresh water fly fishing after fishing the salt in Connecticut, Rhode Island and New York for the past 40 or so years. I've already dusted off my bamboo rods and am starting on the fiberglass ones! Started scouting out some of my old fresh water haunts, but unfortunately many are no longer accessable due to the growth in housing along the small rivers and streams in Connecticut. Still have the Housatonic and Farmington stretches and a few secret spots left though! I love reading the forum and appreciate the great information from you all!
Best Regards!
Alan

Post 09 Mar 2012, 12:21 • #85 
Dear all
I have been lurking for a few years on this excellent forum, and thought I should register now, after having broken down and bought a Scott F2 653 a couple of days ago, not the least after having read about it here.
I am Norwegian, living on the west coast of Norway, an area remniscent of Portland, Oregon. Most of the rivers around here are small, brushy and with smaller fish. Hence my newest addition of fibreglass to my modest arsenal.
I look forward to participating in the discussions here,
All the best,
Cato

Post 09 Mar 2012, 15:58 • #86 
Glass Fanatic
good to have you aboard Cato.

Post 09 Mar 2012, 17:32 • #87 
Glass Fanatic
Greetings to you, Cato.

Post 24 Mar 2012, 18:39 • #88 
Hello all my name is rick I'm in my 50s been fly fishing for 30 some odd years i love to build rods. I have been building rods for 35 yrs, with over 50 rods under my belt.what I enjoy most is fishing them after there done. i look forward to learning new info from all you seasoned veterans,and building some fiberglass rods and fishing more of them. i am originally from the east coast NH but now on the west coast ca. but will make the best of it. love to fish the sierras in my spare time.will be heading up to Nevada next month for some nice cuts. hope to catch a 10 pounder this year.thanks rick

Post 28 Mar 2012, 09:00 • #89 
0] Thanks for the acceptance. A moderately shopworn lifetime (East Coast) fly fisher, lately messing around with "Glass" rods as the newer graphite's turn into crossbows and the price of bamboo makes me shiver. Looking to collect a couple of usable rigs in the light to medium range for trout and bass, I welcome guidance and good-natured ribbing.

Bosanau

Post 28 Mar 2012, 10:29 • #90 
Glass Fanatic
Bosanau wrote:
] Looking to collect a couple of usable rigs in the light to medium range for trout and bass, I welcome guidance and good-natured ribbing.

Bosanau

Welcome aboard. If you hang out here long enough, you'll be acquiring more than just a couple usable rigs ... trust me on that. ;)

Post 10 Apr 2012, 10:57 • #91 
My son just sent me a link to this site. We were discussing his Mom's Russ Peak 7'2" fiberglass fly/spinning rod. As I have the mate, we were wondering about the value for a "set".

Russ had his shop in Pasadena, CA and I worked in the city for years. I have about a dozen rods from him and about 6+ :D are fiberglass. Two of them have not even been fished yet as they are for "light
salmon" and I have not had the opportunity yet.

Post 22 Apr 2012, 15:09 • #92 
Guide
Hello all. I'm a new member, though I've visited this site a few times in the past. You all are such a great resource, many knowledgeable and experienced fly fishers here. I've been fly fishing since the late 70's so I started with (cheap!) fiberglass and switched to graphite as it became readily available. I've since managed to include a few fiberglass rods in my quiver and have found them eminently useful rods. I'm delighted to see that there is a community devoted to both the new ones and keeping the knowledge and use of the vintage and experienced rods alive. My kudos to the operators and owners of this site. I'm curious to know how it's financed and kept viable it must take quite a bit of work to maintain.

Post 23 Apr 2012, 09:22 • #93 
Administrator
Speck,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! Many of us followed the same path as you for becoming a glass fanatic.

The site is funded through sale of logo items via our FFR store (see the front page link). Because we are running an independent system, the yearly cost isn't too bad. We don't get enough traffic to warrant super expensive hosting services. So we can keep the site on target and we don't have to run ads.

Tom

Post 23 Apr 2012, 17:42 • #94 
Glass Fanatic
I've been a member for almost 2 years and this is a terrific forum! If you like to fish, collect, and/or build fiberglass rods then this is THE place.

You'll quickly see ... there is a very open, free exchange of information on this forum. Of course there are opinions, and facts; consensus and contention. But, IMHO, a nicer, more civil, more passionate group, you will not find. Enjoy.

Post 30 Apr 2012, 13:49 • #95 
Sport
Hello everyone. I'm a new member to the forum. I've dabbled in some fly fishing when I was younger with my father's old rods. A long time has passed and I am finally coming back around the fly fishing.

I live in Central Florida but I plan to focus mostly on fresh water and of course streams when I visit family and friends in New England.

I've been building and repairing fishing rods for several years and I've become quite familiar with the different materials and their behavior of different blanks. It's becoming more and more apparent that I really like fiberglass rods.

Right now I am cleaning up and restoring my father's old Harnell 604. Its a cool little one piece that needs a bit of attention. Some attention on the rod itself and then some water time should straighten it out.

Anyway, as I said, I'm new. I look forward to hanging out and furthering my growing passion.

Post 03 May 2012, 01:07 • #96 
Guide
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and to glass, although I've been following some of the threads for a while now. There is a lot of wisdom and experience here, so a hearty "thank you" to everyone for sharing. Sorting it all out alone would be almost impossible. I'm really looking forward to the interactions. So it (happily) begins ...

Cheers,

David

Post 03 May 2012, 12:19 • #97 
Emeritus
Welcome to all you new folks. We look forward to hearing your stories and sharing information and photos. Enjoy yourself and post away. :)

Post 16 May 2012, 16:50 • #98 
Hi: I'm new to the forum, but not new to fly fishing. I started "bugcasting" 50 years ago (I'm 65 now) with a Shakespeare Wonderod, a Pfleuger Medalist 1494 reel and a 6 wt line that my Dad bought for me as a birthday gift. I was 15 years old at the time and learned to cast by trial and error (mostly error). Since that time, I have grown to love the fiberglass technology that evolved long ago. I still fish that technology and find no reason to change. Thank you all for letting me become a part of an elite group and I look forward to learning all you can teach me!

Post 16 May 2012, 18:43 • #99 
Emeritus
Welcome bugcaster. Enjoy yourself and don't be afraid to ask questions. We've got a lot of knowledgeable folks here.

Post 21 May 2012, 22:41 • #100 
Guide
I am Kelly L. Several people here already know me. I have been an angler my whole life. I started fly tying, and fly fishing in mid Jan of 2008. If you want to see some of my flies you can see my little journal here on Photobucket.
pb-image ... ? start=all
I have just acquired a Heddon Pal #8355 Mark ll 8ft fiberglass rod. It is my first fiberglass rod. I also have two Albright GP rods, and one Redington Crosswater. I imagine I will be increasing the fiberglass rods, as I love how they cast, and I love the classic aspect of fly fishing. I have been on here for a few days now. I have already been reading and learning, not posting so much. You have a great website here for those wanting to learn. :D

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply