It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:19

Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Feb 2019, 10:47 • #376 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Caleb!

Post 04 Mar 2019, 13:53 • #377 
Tom, Sorry about my error this pm. I have been perusing your site for a number of years. Lots of interesting tips, articles, etc. I could not think of more appreciative folks. My error. Let me fill you in a tad. I'm 76 years old and had extensive surgery on my right arm and shoulder. Unfortunatly fly fishing is aggravating to say the least.
I haven't posted because I enjoyed just reading. I've been fly fishing for 50 years. Jack Cooper (Cooper Bug) taught me most of what I know. Unfortunately a left handed cast with a spinning rod, chair, and a forked stick is about my limit. Sorry if I offended you folks. Take care, and tight lines. RichieFish

Post 04 Mar 2019, 14:02 • #378 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome RichieFish. Glad you signed up. Have you tried fly casting left-handed? Or doing Tenkara lefty? That was my plan if therapy hadn’t gotten my casting shoulder back in decent shape when a problem emerged.

Post 04 Mar 2019, 17:37 • #379 
Glass Fanatic
RichieFish:
I'm not sure whom you thought was offended. Did somebody contact you about not posting? You are perfectly entitled to just keep up with things on the board. I never heard of any requirement to post. You are most certainly welcome here.

Larry

Post 04 Mar 2019, 18:39 • #380 
Glass Fanatic
Richie, welcome. No one was offended at all. You just received a routine messages about board policies that were relevant to your first post. Because new members aren't always familiar with the PM (Private Message) system, available at the upper left of the forum frame, the message was sent in other ways as well.

Get to know the board guidelines and post often so members get to know you.

You will be even more welcome among this very helpful group. They can often answer general questions about the site, or just PM me. If one of your posts is edited, you can usually see why by reviewing the guidelines for that section, you may receive an explanatory message because I know new members are less familiar with the site, and you can always PM me.

Post 04 Mar 2019, 18:53 • #381 
I have way too many fly rods and reels. Three Bamboo’s, numerous Graphite and Three Glass Rods I struggle often with what combination will fit best for where I am fishing. One thing I know is I look forward to using the glass rods more often than not, and I find myself talking myself in to glass. There’s just something about a glass rod that I can’t explain.

Post 05 Mar 2019, 11:41 • #382 
Hello, I am a new member. I am cleaning out my hording of fishing rods and have found several rods that I would like to know about. Any suggestions on how is the best way to find out about these rods?

Post 05 Mar 2019, 12:27 • #383 
Glass Fanatic
I think I would search this site search.php almost every 'glass fly rod ever made has had some discussion in the past.
This wiki might have information that you need https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/Main_Page
You can also post them on the "Rod Photos" forum of this board with the name and model and a few pertinent questions. Some very knowledgeable people here.

Post 05 Mar 2019, 13:18 • #384 
Glass Fanatic
Dunn Deal wrote:
There’s just something about a glass rod that I can’t explain.

it's got Soul

Post 03 Apr 2019, 09:29 • #385 
Decided to join after continually being referred to the forum while searching for more info on vintage fiberglass.

As an introduction, I started fly fishing and tying about 5 years ago and love both aspects. Most of my fishing is wet-wading a small local creek for smallmouth. I am drawn to fly fishing because there is always more to learn and ways to improve, and it allows me a "man-craft" (fly tying) hobby and a peaceful time, usually alone, in a beautiful environment (creek fishing).

After much research, mostly scanning old posts on this site, I purchased a Fenwick FF807 and it's on the way in the mail now. I plan to put one of my Medalist reels on it, a 1495, Arkansas model, and I'M DEBATING ON WHAT FLOATING LINE TO PUT ON IT AND ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME. I've worked my way up to larger flies trying to catch bigger fish and keep the panfish and smaller rock bass at bay. The really good bass in the creek are 16-20" (can't figure out how to post a pic)

I hate to spend $80 to $130 dollars for line, but I know it's important and will do so if needed. So, again, any recommendations are much welcomed.

Thanks! --Jarrod
47-year-old in southern Indiana (little-to-no trout in my area)

Post 03 Apr 2019, 10:21 • #386 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, wjlong12! There'll be members with exactly your equipment, application, and region who will give excellent recommendations.

Post 03 Apr 2019, 10:29 • #387 
Glass Fanatic
Jarrod,
You can usually find some good deals on fly lines at this time, but right now I'm not seeing any good sales on 7 or 8 weight lines suitable for bass. However, I have had very good service from Barrio fly lines from Scotland (flylineshop.com). There are no middlemen involved with Barrio lines and shipping is free anywhere. A GT90 line in 7 or 8 weight would run less than $40. Most of my fishing is done in small streams for bass and sunfish also, but I usually fish ultralight, so I like the Barrio Small Stream lines.

Larry

Post 03 Apr 2019, 10:56 • #388 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Jarrod, and let me add a plug for editing your profile to include “location” which then appears in all your posts. “Southern Indiana” would give great context when you post a report on that local stream; that information in your intro otherwise won’t be tied to later posts.

Post 05 Apr 2019, 14:48 • #389 
Thanks for the advice and replies. Regarding fly lines, I bought some Aircel Bass line for cheap to try it out. However, at some point I'll have to spend the money to get a good line and then see if I can tell the difference!
Maybe I'll see if there are any threads to search regarding fly line preferences. I think I saw that some people prefer a DT line with fiberglass. I'll have to look into that...

Post 17 May 2019, 01:09 • #390 
Sport
Hey everybody. Im an angler from Southern California. I recently picked up a river glass 3 wt and fell in love with Glass. So much that I bought a BAG Quickshot 8wt. I look forward to sharing my experiences and adventures with Glass Fly rods.

Post 17 May 2019, 08:31 • #391 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Fly62!

Post 08 Jun 2019, 23:24 • #392 
Hello all,
I'm Gerry and a new member to the forum. I was taught to fly fish as a kid by one of my older brothers’ way back in the 70s, but I don't really have a lot of years in experience. Two years ago I came back to fly fishing and have been hooked ever since. For the life of me I don't know why I ever stopped, because now a day’s it’s all I think about and do. I live in South West Arizona and all my fishing is within my state. I was recently given two vintage Browning Silaflex rods and one of them is actually the same model I learned on as a kid, I thought that was cool. First time I used it was like shaking the hand of an old friend. Anyhow I look forward to participating in the forum and sharing with all of you some of my fishing from Arizona.
Gerry

Post 09 Jun 2019, 07:10 • #393 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Gerry!

Post 18 Jun 2019, 19:25 • #394 
So glad this page exists!

My favorite way to fish my glass rod (currently a Scott F2 653) is our annual Creek Chub Championship. We fish downtown Greenville, SC and award prizes for the most, and biggest, Creek Chub caught. The average competitor catches 2-3 dozen, so it's action packed!

Post 23 Jun 2019, 10:08 • #395 
Hi I’m new to the forum and trying to identify a old rod I picked up any help would be appreciated! I think it might be fenwick ferrule light but not sure .

Post 23 Jun 2019, 10:20 • #396 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome T Harrison. If you could post a picture of your rod, it would certainly help in identification.

Larry

Post 23 Jun 2019, 13:00 • #397 
Glass Fanatic
I’ll second the welcome T Harrison, and if you get pictures set up, you you might get more eyeballs focused on it if you post the query as a new thread on the “collecting” board.

Post 05 Jul 2019, 11:22 • #398 
Hello! My name is Pablo and I am new to the forum. I fish exclusively fiberglass fly rods, mainly on small and medium streams. I look forward to participating in the forum, sharing what I know and learning from you guys.

Post 05 Jul 2019, 11:31 • #399 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome Pablo.

Post 05 Jul 2019, 15:52 • #400 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Pablo! Many here love the small water too. Looking forward to hearing about your fishing experiences, and of course fiberglass rods etc.

Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply