It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:23

Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Jul 2013, 10:45 • #151 
Hi! I go by the username LeGrand (French meaning for the tall one).

I'm from Gatineau, Quebec, Canada (across the Ottawa river opposite the City of Ottawa in Ontario).

Glad to have found this Forum. Hope to learn and possibly share.

Among all the various rods I own bait casting, Fly rods, my first and only glass fly rod is an:

Expert Algonquin
2 piece
Model 03 715
8' 6"
AFTMA 8

Bought it 30 years ago. Caught my first steelhead with it 2 years ago on the Salmon River in Altmar, NY in the dead of January.

Post 19 Jul 2013, 15:21 • #152 
Glass Fanatic
-Zor wrote:
Been lurking for a while, I figure its time to introduce myself. I got interested in glass from following thefiberglassmanifesto. Then I ordered an Eagle Claw from him. Now I'm looking at building my first rod on a Stefan Bros. glass blank. I'm looking forward to contributing, but I'll likely just be asking questions for a while.

Welcome to the board. Great looking creek there and I like that bend on the Featherlight. What part of the country are you from?

Post 21 Jul 2013, 23:27 • #153 
Sport
Featherlight wrote:
-Zor wrote:
Been lurking for a while, I figure its time to introduce myself. I got interested in glass from following thefiberglassmanifesto. Then I ordered an Eagle Claw from him. Now I'm looking at building my first rod on a Stefan Bros. glass blank. I'm looking forward to contributing, but I'll likely just be asking questions for a while.

Welcome to the board. Great looking creek there and I like that bend on the Featherlight. What part of the country are you from?

Arizona these days. Just gave that featherlight a workout up on the Colorado. Camped up at horseshoe bend and threw cicadas to rising rainbows.

Post 07 Aug 2013, 17:02 • #154 
Sport
Hi!

I too got interested in glass rods through reading the fiberglass manifesto. I moved to Switzerland from the US 8 years ago or so, and am lucky enough to have a nice trout river flow through the center of our small village, so I have the opportunity to fish in the evenings after I put my daughter to bed. I've got to go ahead and order an Eagle Claw rod asap from TFM, and I just finished building a bamboo rod with a local rod builder, and I enjoyed it so much that I'm now planning on building a glass rod during my paternity leave in September. I couldn't decide what blank to buy as shipping costs from the US are pretty brutal, but when I stopped by my local fly shop today they happened to have a 686 Epic build that I took out back for a few casts and really enjoyed it, so that settles that ... now I just have to choose between the 580 and the 686 kits ...

Post 22 Aug 2013, 10:35 • #155 
Guide
Hello Folks:

I'm new to the forum but not new to fly fishing. Spent over 50 years fishing and hope for a few more--decades ... Started fishing glass with an old Sears fly rod when I was 12. Beat the crap out of that thing for many years with taking the fly reel off and changing it over to use a spinning reel somewhere years ago. Grew out of that and moved on after sticking it in a closet. A few years ago, pulled it out and decided to go full circle. Here I am buying glass and fishing older rods. Can't seem to get enough some days.

Big D

Post 22 Aug 2013, 18:37 • #156 
Hiya, I'm cardo been fly fishing for 4 years. Entirely graphite up til now (ORVIS, ST CROIX, SAGE, TENKARA USA, CF BURKHEIMER) ... looking forward to learning and owning some fiberglass. I'm not forsaking my graphite just really liking slower actions and thinking fiberglass should fit in nicely ... looking for a custom glass rod here in the next couple weeks.

Post 22 Aug 2013, 22:18 • #157 
Master Guide
Cardo, welcome to the dark side!

Post 23 Aug 2013, 16:40 • #158 
Glass Fanatic
Cardo! go back before its too late! they are all nuts here! But they're good nuts:)

Post 23 Aug 2013, 21:06 • #159 
ChaseD wrote:
Cardo, welcome to the dark side!

Hiya Chase! Thanks for turning me onto this place. Between this forum and the other, I don't think I'll get any fishing done—not ;-)

Re: Syrupy Action
Post 24 Aug 2013, 00:49 • #160 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
. . . LeGrand (French meaning for the tall one).

I'm from Gatineau, Quebec, Canada (across the Ottawa river opposite the City of Ottawa in Ontario).

Welcome. I've just uncorked some organic maple syrup from your province. Nice, smooth, sweet stuff. . . much like good fibreglass rods.

Post 31 Aug 2013, 20:27 • #161 
Hello, I live in VA and I'm completely new to fly fishing. I was just given a rod and reel the other day and I'm not sure about the rod. For the most part I bass fish but I like any kind of fishing.

Post 04 Sep 2013, 06:30 • #162 
Sport
Hello all, my name is Daniel and I'm from Denver colorado. Currently I only own 4 glass rods, but they are about the only ones I use. I'm completely addicted to using glass. I've actually got my father in law fishing glass as well, which is surprising as 6 months ago he thought it was outdated. If any one is in the Denver area, I'd love to have some new people to fish with. I fish for any thing that swims, but there's just something special about a small brookie stream.

Post 09 Sep 2013, 06:42 • #163 
Hello everyone. Glad to have found this forum. We live in the Monongahelia Nat'l Forest in WV, within spitting distance of half a dozen excellent trout streams. I've always been a spin caster, and, to be frank, fishing had always played second fiddle for me to boating (also glass BTW) but my knees won't let me in a boat for any length of time anymore, so in order to be on the creeks I've found myself fishing more and more often. Well many of these streams are flyfishing only, and in fact more appropriately flyfished anyway, so I've dug out Dad's old ff75, and here I am. Seems a great community.

Thanks

Post 09 Sep 2013, 11:46 • #164 
Master Guide
Welcome, mozark! Welcome Daniel! Welcome Bassfisher128!

Post 09 Sep 2013, 16:09 • #165 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome. That's a fine spot for trout fishing. I lived in the Piedmont of N Carolina for about six years and fished in and around Maggie Valley and the Smokies. I also have a Fenwick ff75 --- a great trout rod.

Post 24 Sep 2013, 22:16 • #166 
Master Guide
G'day All,

I’ve also just joined up after finding this forum during my research on fibreglass rods. I live in Perth, Western Australia, where we have plenty of good saltwater fishing nearby but nothing of note in freshwater. There may be some feral carp, but I haven’t found them yet. I mainly fish from a Hobie Pro Angler 14.

I’m in the process of building a Nude Epic 686 for saltwater fishing (blank already on the way, guides and silk thread to be bought tonight.) Depending on how much I like the result, there may be more on the way in the future, espcially an Epic 990. The funds resulting from the sale of two graphite rods have already gone into this new build.

I briefly (and unsuccessfully) used fibreglass fly gear when I was 15 years old, but the internet wasn’t around then and I had no access to anybody who knew how to cast. The frustration of a 15 year old boy can manifest itself in many ways, and I soon stopped using that glass rod. 30 years later, I sought a challenge with my fishing that seemed to be satisfied by learning to use fly gear, and now, three years later, I’m obsessed with it.

I’ve returned to glass because the high modulus graphite rods I have just aren’t much fun. Sure, they work fine, they’re light and they cast a mile, but I’m worried I’ll break them with a Clouser or a big fish, and small fish can’t bend them. Long casts with long rods are rarely needed from the PA14, but I do need shorter rods that can handle being bent in, shall we say, “unconventional” ways. There is no element of reminiscing in glass for me, just a seeking of solutions for problems I perceive. The rod I’m building probably won’t be much appreciated by those who view their nostalgia through ‘glass frames.

So, thanks for the freely given reference material, and I hope I can contribute something of value to the community.

Cheers,
Graeme

Post 11 Oct 2013, 08:44 • #167 
Guide
Hey guys,
New poster here. I've been an increasing fan of glass the last few years, especially for the tailwaters and spring creeks near me in northern California/western Nevada/southern Oregon. The delicacy of fiberglass fly rods with light tippets for big fish can't be beat, plus they're tough as nails. I'm a long time fly tyer and have been transitioning into wrapping my own rods. So far I've really enjoyed the Lamiglas and Fenwick glass rods, since they're the ones I've had the most experience with, but there's always new rods to try out. Sometime this winter I'm making a one-piece, 9' 9wt s-glass for baby tarpon and big reds for a buddy of mine who just moved to FL. I speak a little japanese and have been trying to learn a bit from Kabuto, he's a really nice guy and quick to answer any questions I have. As soon as I finish some of my new projects in the coming weeks/months, I'll make sure to post them.

Post 22 Oct 2013, 15:58 • #168 
Hi, my name is Jim and i am a new member even though i've been reading this site for years. I have the following glass rods. It's a pleasure to join you and hopefully i have something to contribute to this great forum.
1) Vince Cummings 6' 8" the ultimate 1 3wt.
2) Fenwick FF705
3) Fenwick FF755
4) Lamiglass s-glass 7' 6" 5pc.
5) R.L. Winston 9' 9wt San Francisco rod

Post 22 Oct 2013, 17:34 • #169 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Jim. Welcome to the forum. You have a very nice collection of fine vintage glass rods. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Post 23 Oct 2013, 08:32 • #170 
Hi,
I'm Marco from Italy, avid collector of Scott, Orvis, Abel,Pezon et Michel and Hardy ... your community is a dream for anyone are interested or "addicted" to classic fly fishing tackle!
tight lines!
Marco

Post 26 Oct 2013, 23:13 • #171 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Jim & marco
Welcome
Nice to see you guys are officially members looking forward to having you fellas aboard.
Tight lines and it's official loops
Andy M

Post 27 Oct 2013, 01:28 • #172 
My name is Martin, I live in Stockholm, Sweden, with my wife and our dog. For the last eight years I have been working as a welder, but last fall I began the jorney to become an architect at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm.
I started fly fishing last year, and building rods five or six months ago. My friend chform (here on the forum) lured me to the glass-side, and I love it. So far I have only made three rods, but since I am trying to find new fish to build rods for I guess I'm hooked :)
I have built one Kabuto 7033, one CTS Quartz S #4, and one Rustic River (China brand, really cheap but actually pretty good!). I am currently building a switch rod from a CTS #8 9', and an order for a Swift 686 is in the pipe.

Post 11 Nov 2013, 18:57 • #173 
Guide
Hi!
My name is Mike, and I'm new to the forum. Another Swede ... (I know, you need it like you need a bad haircut ... but maybe some Minnesotans will approve, ja?)
I've been fly fishing, and very much addicted to it, since I was 8 years old. The condition shows no signs of improving anytime soon.
I'm been lurking here in the shadows for about a year, frequenting the Classic Fly Reel area and reading up on your fishing stories.
Like my fellow countryman in the previous post, I was introduced to the forum by Christian (chform).

Did I mention I'm partial to fishing trout in small streams?

Cheers,

Mike

Post 11 Nov 2013, 19:14 • #174 
Glass Fanatic
Mike, great post! What a nice way to introduce yourself here. That's a nice lineup of glass rods you got going too. Welcome to the FFR forum.

Post 12 Nov 2013, 10:37 • #175 
Sport
I heard this site mentioned on the PAflyfish.com forum so I thought I would check it out. I own only one fiberglass rod; a 7 foot Gladding South Bend, though I have never fished it. I live in SE Pennsylvania and like to fish two or more soft hackles on my leader. My usual rod is a graphite Cortland "Brook" 10 foot rod for a four weight line. I definitely prefer a ten footer, which I believe may be quite rare in fiberglass. Perhaps I will become more enlightened in the future.

Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply