It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:28

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Jun 2012, 13:18 • #101 
Hi Everyone!

I've been a long time lurker here - I found the site while searching for info on click-pawl reels, and since then I've been getting more and more interested in fiberglass rods! I really love the USA made Martin reels and rarely fish my newer "high-end" reels anymore ...

Yesterday I was on the river with a vintage glass no-name rod that I've taken a liking to paired up with a Martin 61 tuna can. Slow fishing, but had a blast on the few we saw!

I look forward to learning more from everyone and checking out all of the cool gear!

Post 04 Jun 2012, 14:57 • #102 
My name is Mike McCoy owner Snake Brand Guides and I have enjoyed fly fishing and fly tying for over 50 years now.

Post 19 Jun 2012, 12:24 • #103 
found an earlier post, somewhere here, but having trouble finding it again. Person wanted to know about Kodiak rods. Here's my story: I went to a yard sale, a few years ago, and a gal sold me a 52 1/2" green pole, with black rubber caps on it, and said it would make a good closet bar, and the price was right, for only a dollar. It was ... pull the one end off, and it had 3 more sections inside that slid out and locked in place, with a flick of the arm and wrist, becoming a 16 foot long fiberglass and glass joint rod, with one eyelet on the end. Model # NO. 3-5016-16 and is a FLIP POLE, green, made by KODIAK CORP. Bessemer, MI It goes with me whereever I go, behind my seat in the truck, and has been fun, and quite convenient. Thought I'd share. Best dollar I ever spent!

Post 13 Jul 2012, 00:35 • #104 
Hi My name is Gabe and I'm a Glassaholic my favorite rod is my 7ft claw and it's martin tuna can I don't know all the details of the glass world but I know I love my yellow glass rods and I'm looking for more

Post 08 Aug 2012, 19:14 • #105 
Sport
Howdy All;

New here, like the older slower way of doin' things.
Grew-up in the '50's & 60's, mostly spincast and some
@*%*#! bait casting from time to time just to test my
patience and see if I have any or not ... :rollin usually
not.
Now attempting to do the fly fishin' thing,some of ya'll
might recognise my handle from another forum or 2 ...

Thanks for having me.

hank

Post 14 Aug 2012, 14:56 • #106 
I am sorry but I am unable to use this forum owing to its complexity, I find it unfathomable to say the least. it seems as though the web site layout is more important than actualy using it. The whole thing feels like a group geek wank and maybe the authors should stick to watching the big bang repeats.
Humpyfox.

Post 14 Aug 2012, 15:41 • #107 
Glass Fanatic
Glad you you were able to figure out the posting, Humpyfox. I hope you stick around and at least read some; like anything else, the lay of the land will become apparent after a while. Trust me, the current website is a phenomenal improvement over the last hosting.

Post 26 Aug 2012, 20:47 • #108 
Sport
Good day all, I am new to the site, but have been fishing since the days before graphite rods existed. A couple of my priceless possessions are my dads Berkely Buccaneer B5F and a Fenwick FF98 given to me by my fly fishing mentor. I used to construct graphite rods, and of late I've have a wild hair to make a couple glass rods as well. I love the rythm of a slow action rod on the peaceful stream where you have enough time for a cup of coffee in between the back cast and the fore cast. After all, isn't fishing our escape from the fast pace of life to begin with. It also seems like glass is the optimal medium for a work of art. If you want to add a few decorative wraps to a graphite blank, it feels like adding sand bags to a dragster where the goal must be to shave off a couple more electrons and neutrons. If graphite suffers from heroin chic, glass is not ashamed to be the full figured lady, and I have been caught ogling some of the full figured ladies that you all have posted here. Amazing artists you have here. One other angle of glass rods has caught my fancy. I've seen a few photos of 60s-80s rods that appear to have been completely stripped down and restored with high quality period hardware and coatings. I always hear that restoration of vintage items ruins the value, but in these cases, it looks like folks have taken virtually worn out worthless rods and made something new and beautiful. I'd love to have any insights on this Process or maybe direction to some threads that already cover it. Thanks a lot for hosting a beautiful forum.

Post 12 Oct 2012, 00:15 • #109 
Just got some older glass rods given to me, so thought I'd join up and do some research.

Been fly fishing for many years, but the action of the old 'glass rods has got me wanting to get some rigs put together.

I remember slinging an old Fenwick back in the mid-80's, and its one that was given to me ... so off I go!

Post 26 Oct 2012, 19:11 • #110 
Hey everyone, my name is Patrick. I've been a fisherman since I could walk, I got into fly fishing 8-9 years back. I love it, the more I fish the more I love it. I've been lurking on the site for a while and finally thought I'd post a bit. I have never owned a fiberglass or bamboo rod, all I know is fast action graphite and tenkara. I ordered a eagle claw rod recently and am also waiting on my blue halo blank to show up so I can build my first rod. I hope to participate. Oh yeah my home waters are the driftless area in western wi and the lakes and rivers of mn.

Post 26 Oct 2012, 19:51 • #111 
Glass Fanatic
welcome. if you like fishing fiberglass rods for whatever reason, you will love this forum. there are many, many knowledgeable folks here who are willing to help. stick around and see.

Post 04 Nov 2012, 21:51 • #112 
Sport
Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I really enjoy flyfishing for trout and especially like fishing with my fiberglass rods. I really like the older vintage rods. My favorite is my 1971 Phillipson DF76 "Swamp Fox". I look forward to joining in many of the discussions here and adding my. 02 from time to time. :)

Post 06 Nov 2012, 17:21 • #113 
Guide
Hello everybody! I have been looking on and off at this forum for about 2 months and decided to join.I am really enjoying many of the dicussions and the pictures of these great "glass" rods and really neat looking vintage reels.I look forward to the great times ahead. I only have 2 Scott Fiberglass rods right now. .but am selling off my graphite rods as we speak to buy more GLASS :P

Post 25 Nov 2012, 13:13 • #114 
Newbie here..Been flyfishing for over 40yrs and enjoy building as well..I'm looking forward to sharing stories with other that have the same passion!

Post 09 Dec 2012, 10:28 • #115 
Hello All,
My name is Mike and I live in Northern California. 57 yrs old. I came here because now that we travel a lot in our RV and visit some beautiful areas, I decided to get back into fly fishing after more than 40 years. Origanlly only used bamboo rods, however my father had some nice St. Croix rods fitted with Martin reels which have been sitting in a closet collecting dust. Time to get them out of the closet and onto the water.

Post 09 Dec 2012, 14:11 • #116 
Glass Fanatic
Great. Love to see pictures of the St. Croix Martin combos.

Post 09 Dec 2012, 20:15 • #117 
Guide
welcome all you new folks!

Post 09 Dec 2012, 21:08 • #118 
Glass Fanatic
whrlpool wrote:
Great. Love to see pictures of the St. Croix Martin combos.

+1

Post 19 Jan 2013, 11:24 • #119 
Hello all been a lurker here for some time, decided to join to be able to ask information and get some replies to my questions. I have been building on parabolic glass blanks for roll casting. Now with graphite blanks, glass blanks are getting much more difficult to find in a parabolic type action.
Wes.

Post 19 Jan 2013, 13:40 • #120 
Glass Fanatic

Howdy, IFLYSW.

Quote:
.. . glass blanks are getting much more difficult to find in a parabolic type action.

Or in any decent action at Joe Everyman prices rather than boutique ones.

Barry Evans says the Phillipson 76R is parabolic. . . not that that helps. . . unless you find a battered one at a golden garage sale.

Post your parabolic blank inquiry, though, elsewhere on this board; I'm sure some of the paraboliphiles will come through for you.

Post 19 Jan 2013, 16:54 • #121 
Glass Fanatic
welcome glass enthusiasts. pictures rock!

Post 09 Feb 2013, 20:42 • #122 
Hello to everyone,I'm in Southwest Pennsyltucky. The trout fishing here is pretty good for the really serious folk and very relaxing for the rest of us.If anyone could provide a little common sense advice i'd appreciate it immensely. I've fished bait and spinners before and played with a fly rod only occasionally. (I can roll cast, that's it) I just bought a Conolon rod with an Oren-O-Matic reel on it for $65.00 at an antique shop. The rod is in great condition, the reel seems to work, I think the Good Lord is telling me to go fishin' in earnest this year.What type of line goes best with this combo? What I've got is yellow, that's all I know about it.

Post 11 Feb 2013, 14:49 • #123 
Master Guide
Stevej:

If you ask 100 people you will probably get 100 opinions, so remember this is just my take.

First, decide what kind of fishing you want to do. Stand in a rushing river waving a stick and catching big fish, floating down the river and fishing, hike up a creek and fish, fishing lakes or whatever the heck it is that brings you satisfaction. This will tell you what sort of rod & reel you need. Alot of this can only be decided by doing it. So, take the rod & reel you bought to the river & creek and try it out. The line on your reel will work on whatever you decide to do, just maybe not as good as a specialized line.

Just my opinion again-for most fly fishing, a 8' or 8 1/2' 5 wt. rod will accomplish 90% of the fishing you'll want to do. And you can buy used stuff for well under $100. Most of the stuff you see people buy is not because its needed (myself included) but because we want it. Either it makes the fishing easier or more pleasant, or makes us look better. Nothing wrong at all with looking for the perfect rod that perfectly matches our casting stroke but you will see if you watch these forums enough that few of the folks seem to be perfectly happy with what we buy so we keep looking and buying.

I have settled in to hiking and fishing small streams and through experience found i like lighter but mainly shorter rods (and 3 or 4 piece so they can be packed). But i am certain i could catch as many fish with the first 8 1/2 5 wt graphite rod as with the smaller rods i use. I just wouldn't like it as much because it would get stuck more often in the brush as I'm crashing to and through the creek (personal experience) and I like the lighter feel of the smaller rods. I bring out the 8 1/2' rod when I fish rivers so I can cast further and in fact i have recently bought a few fiberglass rods that are probably like yours at garage sales that i will use on the rivers.

Same sort of thing applies to reels. I went on a spending spree and bought about 20 vintage reels the last 6 months (mainly $10-$25 reels, before I went over $50 for a couple) and every one of these will handle most of the fishing i do. Your automatic reel will work too and some folks still use them.

Finally, buy a fly fishing book for $10 bucks or find one at the library to learn how to cast and for where to cast to catch fish. But mainly just go out & do it.

Maybe go to class to learn some of this stuff, but this is not mandatory at all.

Post 14 Feb 2013, 17:00 • #124 
Emeritus
Howdy!

Thought I would finally stop creepin' and introduce myself. I've found this site to be a great source of information on vintage fly tackle over the years, especially Bulldog's fly reel forum. Though I'll fish for and with anything, I've always enjoyed using vintage tackle and shorter, slower rods than the 9', zillion-modulus tomato stakes that are shoved down our collective throat by the manufacturers. My go-to trout rod back home in Montana was my venerable old Heddon #20, now waiting for a long-overdue refinish before entering the next phase of its life (hopefully this spring - it will doubtlessly outlive its current steward).

I've also enjoyed fishing with several fiberglass rods over the years, especially Fenwicks. I still have an FF806 that lives in my truck and stupidly sold an FF765 before moving out East a few years ago. My recent activity in fiberglass was inspired by our move to NE Michigan a couple years ago. Being in brookie country, I decided I "needed" a light little dryfly rod for creeks (I still call 'em "cricks") and streams. I ended up finding a deal on a Scott TU Edition F2 703-3 that immediately stole my heart and got me thinking "seriously" about glass. Since then I've been stalking the pages of FFR, Cameron's TFM (Awesome T-shirt!) and beefing up my small stream arsenal with some more classic glass, including recently a beautiful 7 1/2' Heddon #75 Black Beauty, and an E-series Fenwick FF70 that, based solely on lawn casting, I suspect may become my favorite small stream rod. I can't wait to try it out this spring.

Thanks for all the great information I've already picked up from the site and I hope to meet some of you out on the water!

Post 17 Feb 2013, 13:20 • #125 
Sport
Hi Guys I have been flyfishing since I was 15 and am now 44. I live in Central Tx and will fish anything and everything, even carp! lol. I try to tie my own flies, mainly bass bugs, spinning deer hair and streamers for white bass, stripers. I collect old fly reels and lures. I fish the Llano river and Bend park for Black, White bass and Stripers and also fish the numerous lakes here for Black bass. I dont use my Glass rods as much after buying a TFO finesse in 3 wt. I love the little rod and it has become my goto fun rod. I have a couple of Fenwick Eglass and an old Conolon. I had never fished with anything below a 7 wt until the TFO and realize what Ive been missing in terms of true fishability. Anyway, thanks for the Help. Ive already learned
valuable information on this site and look forward to hopefully help out myself someday.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply