It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:10

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Nov 2011, 23:07 • #51 
Sport
Hello, Fiberglass Flyrodders.

I live on the Front Range of Colorado, and the nearest trout stream is the St. Vrain River. (Geirach never lets on what a tough piece of water that is. In most places you risk breaking your neck before you can get your feet wet.)

I started fly fishing about 12 years ago, then put it down for several years. I've been at it again for about two years. I've been buying gear lately, mostly reels, mostly on that auction site. Ryall is my current favorite. I started tying this year, too.

Somewhere along the line I realized that faster (this year's premium graphite rod) is not always better. Now that I have two fiberglass rods and one bamboo rod, I can see that my backcast is a disaster, and I need a casting coach. :o Seriously, and without too much attitude about graphite, which certainly has its uses, maybe that fast 5wt was hiding some problems by acting like a big, straight lever. I'll report back when I've had some instruction.

The current fiberglass arsenal:
  • Diamondglas 7' 4wt 2pc
  • Heddon Mark V 8467 8'6" 8wt
I admit, they're recent arrivals, and I've only lawn cast either of them.

One other note, I got a moderate case of tennis elbow this summer, and I'm working the last of it out with daily exercises. Heavier rods (8wt +) still make me cringe, tho. :eek

OK, I think that's my introduction, except to say that writing has never been my best thing, and I probably won't ever be one of the people with 1000+ posts.

Cheers.

Mark

Post 30 Nov 2011, 02:35 • #52 
Master Guide
Wow, liking the new digs. Now time to explore, thanks Tom!

Post 30 Nov 2011, 15:37 • #53 
Glass Fanatic
Hello,

I'm new here, well, new to post. I've been reading this forum for quite some time but was never able to post because I couldn't get the yuku thing to work.

Anyways, I love fishing glass, though I only have 2, on is a graywolf that is absolutely amazing. I also collect contemporary bench made fly reels. Also LOVE tying I spend alot of time tying

I love fishing my local rivers (kings river and san joaquin river) Lately though I"ve been targeting the bows and brooks in the kings.

th

Post 01 Dec 2011, 13:50 • #54 
Emeritus
Hello Mark from the Front Range. We're going to have to get to know each other. I'm in the Louisville area, so we must live somewhat close to each other. Welcome to the best forum on the net and enjoy your stay.

Post 02 Dec 2011, 22:51 • #55 
Hi Ya'll ...
Don't really know much about glass rods but would love to restore one I got awhile back. I fish my local upstate ponds, rivers etc. as well as frequent forays to nearby Western NC. Catch more bream than anything but would like to start focusing on fly bass fishing as well as chasing trout North of here. Will post pics of my rod for possible restoration for ya'll to comment on and get me some evaluation and or advice, if you don't mind. Thanks looking forward to learning about world of glass.

Post 03 Dec 2011, 15:40 • #56 
Sport
cofisher, I'm in Longmont, and I look forward to meeting you in person.

Post 12 Dec 2011, 12:34 • #57 
Sport
hi all i am a full time bamboo rod maker and maker of nickel silver components,but i have always loved good glass rods also,im thinking of adding glass to my line up but need to learn more and this looks like the place to do it,i am just south of portland Or.,thanks,steve kiley

Post 12 Dec 2011, 15:51 • #58 
Master Guide
stevekiley wrote:
hi all i am a full time bamboo rod maker and maker of nickel silver components,but i have always loved good glass rods also,im thinking of adding glass to my line up but need to learn more and this looks like the place to do it,i am just south of portland Or.,thanks,steve kiley

Hi Steve,

Glad to see you here and am more glad that you are considering getting into glass!

Bob

Post 12 Dec 2011, 16:10 • #59 
Glass Fanatic
stevekiley wrote:

Welcome, Steve, and I'm excited what could be in store from you in the glass format.

Post 12 Dec 2011, 17:51 • #60 
Sport
thanks guys,i have already resived some good ideas,i have taught myself to deep draw nickel silver and merlins gold and think i can make the littel female ferrule rings,just have to work out what the wall thickness should be and what the id of the sections should be,i already deep draw raw nickel silver cups for making cap and ring hardware ,have to do some more reserch here,thanks.steve
this is one i just resently completed
and this one with nickel silver wire inlayed grip and reel seat

Post 13 Dec 2011, 21:27 • #61 
Sport
Beautiful work, Steve.

Post 19 Dec 2011, 23:10 • #62 
Hi. I'm new, but I have collected Jimmy Green rods over the years.

I also promote the Santa Rosa, Ca. Fishing Tackle, Duck Decoy, Sporting Collectible Show. It will be held March 9 & 10, 2012. It is the biggest show of its kind in the West. www.redshow.com

www.redsshow.com

[Edit; Corrected the web address. Tom]

Post 21 Dec 2011, 23:00 • #63 
Guide
It's great to be back ...
Thanks Tom..

~f~

Post 22 Dec 2011, 02:54 • #64 
Master Guide
Welcome to the board Warrenjo, and thanks for the heads up on your tackle show. I've heard of it before but now that I know when it is I'll be sure to check it out.

Post 30 Dec 2011, 12:22 • #65 
I'm new, but I'm not. I had a login under yuku, but couldn't find my username (or remember it) here, so registered as Gr8Guf. My grandkids call me Guf, so it kind of stuck as a nickname. I am well versed in ALL things that I can't talk about here, so, instead, I guess I'll just sit back, read and learn. I do have a little bit of knowledge about TL Johnson Synergy Glass rods, though. Terry has become a good friend.

cofisher knows me as FFC and I toss him a FFC t-shirt or cap, now and then, to keep him as a friend. LOL

Post 03 Jan 2012, 13:17 • #66 
Glass Fanatic
Just joined FF yesterday. I live in the S Puget Sound area but am not a confirmed steelhead fisherman. I prefer smaller rivers/streams. I built my first glass rod for my 7 yr old grandson for Christmas, a 7ft, 3wt Lamiglass 2 piece. Subsequently purchased a 6 1/2 ft 3 piece Lamiglass blank off Ebay, then ordered a 6ft 11 inch 2/3 wt blank from JP Ross. So, looks like I'll be into fiberglass rods for the forseeable future. Roy

Post 03 Jan 2012, 13:36 • #67 
Glass Fanatic
Roy ... welcome aboard. There are a number of us here from the Greater Puget Sound area.

Post 04 Jan 2012, 21:25 • #68 
Global Moderator
Phillipson wrote:
Another of jgestar's alternate users with a test post.

Is that you Sybil? :rollin

Doug

Post 10 Jan 2012, 06:09 • #69 
New guy from NY, Hudson Valley area,,,,I built a few rods last year. Very interested in fiberglass rods for my next project. Great site,,,looking forward to being part of this forum.

Steve

Post 10 Jan 2012, 14:57 • #70 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Steve -- I am from the Mid-Hudson Valley too. I live in Lagrangeville. I started building fiberglass rods last year. The board members here are a wealth of information. That's why I keep coming back, and you will too. We're close -- do you fish any local trout streams? -- if you ever want to meet up for some fishing send me a PM. Welcome aboard.

Post 20 Jan 2012, 13:10 • #71 
Sport
Hi all,

I just joined today after spending a few hours over the last few days poring over the classic fly reels section. I haven't evolved to fiberglass rods (yet) and still fish graphite, but I do have a tidy little reel collection going and love any information I can get my hands on about classic, modern, renowned, and obscure reels.

Looking forward to chiming in every once in a while, asking questions and posting some pictures!

Cheers,
Matt

Post 20 Jan 2012, 20:52 • #72 
Master Guide
Hey Matt,

Welcome to the forum. We do love photos - hope we can see some of those reels.

Tight lines.

Post 20 Jan 2012, 21:24 • #73 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome Matt,
if you dig classic fly reels, you're in the right place. enjoy, and i look forward to hearing more from you about your collection.

-pat

Post 01 Feb 2012, 17:36 • #74 
Master Guide
Hello, new member here. I have been visiting this forum for about 6 months and finally joined. I own a bunch of Diamondglass and CTS Glass rods that I custom built. So far from what I have seen, this forum is pretty cool.

Post 06 Feb 2012, 20:47 • #75 
Sport
Hello. I live and fish in the Colorado front range. I'm new to this site, and relatively new to the fiberglass fly fishing world. I've been an avid angler about 10 years, and became pretty dedicated to fly fishing and tying the Summer of 2010 after floating the A section of the Green River in UT. I came across my first fiberglass rod (Cabela's C.G.R. 4 wt) a few months ago and like how it casts. So much I purchased a 5 wt too. I then was introduced to 'classic' reels with a simple Pflueger 1492 medalist to go with the first C.G.R. My eyes have been opened to the classic fiberglass rods too. Guess you can say I've been bitten by the glass bug, and functionality of more experienced reels. I look forward to reading, learning, and chiming in from time to time.

Marc - Westminster, CO

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply