It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:31

Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Feb 2016, 19:18 • #276 
Thank you for the words of welcome, Tim, and your encouragement around my initial rod choices! I also just picked up what I hope will be deemed a "vintage" Browning-Silaflex rod, the details around which I'll post in a more appropriate section of the forum.

Post 15 Mar 2016, 21:52 • #277 
I'm new to the forum, N Fork Blues, but have been lurking here for a while - no posts yet. I have found this site to be a wonderful resource and as a result I am currently building a James Green 8' 4/5 wt. 5 pc rod for backpacking use. My first real fly rod was a Scientific Anglers System 6 - purchased new. The first glass rod I built was a Fisher 8' 4/5 2 pc. back in 1980 for fishing the streams around Mt. St. Helens. Didn't get to fish it there for a few years - volcano and all that.

Kent

Post 16 Mar 2016, 20:29 • #278 
Master Guide
Welcome to the forum Kent. You are right about this being a great resource, I learn something every day on here.

Tim

Post 19 Mar 2016, 11:28 • #279 
Another new member.
I'm from the "South of Chicago "area" - that would be the furthest South suburbs.
I have two nice graphite rods - a 3 wt. and an 8 wt. - and a cheap 5/6 wt. I am planning on replacing the 5/6 wt. with a straight 5 wt. and thought I'd do it with a fiberglass rod.
So, here I am. Probably become some sort of obsession...

Matt

Post 28 Mar 2016, 09:26 • #280 
Hello all - just joined to learn more about modern fiberglass fly rods and how to match a proper line to a glass rod. I do still occasionally fish glass - but it is a Browning Silaflex Medium Saltwater blank that I made into a casting rod for pike and muskie back in 1976. So glass fly casting is new to me.

Post 29 Mar 2016, 18:41 • #281 
Master Guide
Welcome Gandolph, this is the right place to get other peoples thoughts and opinions about all things fiberglass, enjoy.

Tim

Post 04 May 2016, 10:12 • #282 
New guy here from upstate SC. I am new to fiberglass but not fly fishing. I just placed an order for 2 cabelas prime rods. One a 5wt, and the other an 8wt. I also ordered the sunset red 7'8" 4wt build kit from custom fly rod crafters. This will be my first build and I plan on documenting it with pictures. I purchased a Cortland Retro II from GrassNGlass to pair with the 5 wt. This will be my go-to pond and stream rod for bluegill and trout.

I have already read through quite a few threads and have gained a lot of knowledge and insight on fiberglass rods and fishing them. I hope to contribute to this great place the things I learn and some pictures and stories of my fly fishing adventures.

Justin King

Post 15 May 2016, 08:08 • #283 
Sport
Hello I've been looking for a long time on this site. I'm living in Minnesota and just love fishing. I just started fly fishing about a year and a half ago. When I started looking for a rod for the drifftles area I came a cross C Barclay rods. So I picked up the 7-3 3wt and the 75p. All very cool rods. I also just picks up the new prime 5wt. Thanks for all the info.

Post 24 May 2016, 23:44 • #284 
Sport
Hello. I'm a new member. Just started fishing glass last year when I was given a Shakespeare Wondered 1280T. I fell in love with it of course. This rod convinced me that I needed to replace my fast action 7wt. with a moderate action. Well after months of research, mostly on this website, I purchased a Fenwick ff857. Again I fell in love. But what is a vintage fly rod without a vintage reel? Two of Pflueger Medalists, a 1494 and a 1495, were next on the list. Also I have just won a Shakespeare P1290 on an auction and am looking for an ff858. I just love the way glass feels.

Post 24 Jun 2016, 11:28 • #285 
Sport
trav1085, I'm old enough to have grown up fishing Wonderods before graphite was in anything except pencils and bamboo was those hideous creations from Japan our soldiers were bringing back by the thousands. I still have several Wonderods that fish well and also a couple of spinning and baitcasting rods to go with them. I now fish mostly bamboo but and all too much of my fishing these days is on my back lawn but I have acquired a couple of modern glass rods I haven't even tried yet to see if they all that great compared to our old Shakespeare, Browning and Fenwick rods of the 50's and 60's.

Post 25 Jun 2016, 07:25 • #286 
Glass Fanatic
bassman, good to see you here!

Post 01 Aug 2016, 17:47 • #287 
Sport
Just registered and saying hello from Austin, Texas. Getting back into fishing and decided I'd like to also do some flyfishing after being up in Colorado recently.... so I gave away an old no-name fly rod to a friend and picked up a new rod, a Fenwick Fenglass 3 piece 5 wt. Of course, now I am bidding on an old Fenwick on ebay because it's a 4 piece and will fit better in a pack. I have a few plastic cups of various dry and wet flies from years ago and a small plastic case containing some wooly boogers and a other go-to's for warm water fishes down here. Will have to see if they still work.

Maybe I should add that I like regular beer, but at 53 years old I am learning to appreciate the new beers.

That's about who I am right now as far as important things go. I appreciate all the info here and the time people take to share it with the world. Thanks for allowing me to register.

Rod

Post 01 Aug 2016, 18:12 • #288 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, rodjohnson! Here's wishing you much good fishing, fly-rod hunting, and many Shiner longnecks. Fond memories of a (HOT) summer in Austin many years back...

Post 01 Aug 2016, 19:08 • #289 
Sport
Thank you, Tomah. There's really only a couple types of Summer's down here. "Hot" and "Oh my God, I can't take it anymore. I swear I'm moving to Alaska!!"

Shiner beer... Hmmm... What an excellent idea!

Appreciate the welcome.

Post 02 Aug 2016, 10:55 • #290 
Glass Fanatic
Was there in 1980, a record year at the time -- 35 straight days of 100 plus. I was a runner then, and boy, was that some tough training.

Post 02 Aug 2016, 20:55 • #291 
Sport
Worst. Summer. Ever. :eek

Post 03 Aug 2016, 09:05 • #292 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome rodjohnson!

Post 09 Dec 2016, 07:48 • #293 
Greetings from Finland. I have been a member of this excellent forum for a while. I broke my back, so I have now time to do some stuff I normally would not be doing. Like learning to use photo bucket.
When I am in "normal condition" , and when there is not 40cm of snow on the ground, I flyfish. I have been flyfishing around Europe and Russia, but mostly I spend my time in rivers and lakes of the northern Finland and Sweden (Lapland). I fish all kinds of fish, but I love to fish grayling and whitefish with insect imitations. I have flyrods and quite a lot of them are made of glass. If you see a picture below, it means I did not totally waste 3 hours of my life in internet.
Janne

Post 09 Dec 2016, 10:25 • #294 
Glass Fanatic
Greetings! Thank you for posting your beautiful photo. The glass fly rod, with the trees against water make for a nice image. Do you ice fish in Lapland?

Post 09 Dec 2016, 14:15 • #295 
I am glad that you enjoyed my picture, Tomah.
Well, the waters freeze here usually in late oktober and stay frozen until beginning of may. The actual good flyfishing season starts usually in the beginning of june and lasts to late september. So I have more time to icefish than flyfish.
The best time to icefish is in april-may when sunlight penetrates the ice and insects begin to wake and also activate the fish. I usually use flies ( yes, the same I use in the summer), instead of using live bait or blade when I icefish. I have discovered that the dry flies will not work very well in winter. Flyfishing and knowledge of waterlife have improved my icefishing a lot.
It is a one of the few things (like single malt products), that help me to survive over the long wintertime.

Post 09 Dec 2016, 19:16 • #296 
Glass Fanatic
Great to hear! Enjoy that single malt.

Post 04 Jul 2017, 08:17 • #297 
Greetings ladies and gentlemen,

My wife and I retired several years ago, bought a lot in Eagle, Idaho, then built our home about 100 yards from the Boise River. My goal in retirement was to be able to walk from my house and cast a fly to trout. So far, so good! The largest fish to date caught behind the house is a 23 inch Brown with many rainbows being landed in the 16-20 inch range.

Southern California is where I spent most of my life, fishing the Kern River, Upper Owens (Arcularius Ranch), Rush Creek, both Truckees, East and West Walkers and many smaller tributaries in the San Gabriel and San Bernardino Mountains.

Besides fly fishing, my other passions include bird hunting, big game hunting, watching USC Football and of course imbiving good whiskey, wines and IPA's.

My favorite glass rod is a FF75 Fenwick and a close second is a Leon Chandler 7'6" three weight. Just picked up a 7'6" CGR 5/6 weight, but have not had a chance to put it to use yet.

Looking forward to interacting with the forum members and acquiring more insight about the world of glass rods and fishing with them.

Best regards from Idaho,

Jeff

Post 04 Jul 2017, 09:08 • #298 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Jeff. Most members here would say you truly are 'living the dream'! Welcome to FFR!

Post 04 Jul 2017, 09:13 • #299 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome Jeff,

It sounds like your retirement is going well.

FIGHTONSC wrote:
My favorite glass rod is a FF75 Fenwick and a close second is a Leon Chandler 7'6" three weight. Just picked up a 7'6" CGR 5/6 weight, but have not had a chance to put it to use yet.

Looking forward to interacting with the forum members and acquiring more insight about the world of glass rods and fishing with them.

You have a very good start on vintage glass, 7 to 8 ft is a sweet spot for glass and those two rods (Fenwick and Fisher blank Leon Chandler) are great rods. This forum can cause you to go searching for more, but you've started off very well.

Carl

Post 04 Jul 2017, 10:35 • #300 
Thanks JoeFriday and Carl for the warm welcome!

I'm already scouring EBay for more glass toys!

Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply