It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:51

Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Jul 2020, 23:11 • #451 
Guide
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and very excited to be here. I got into fly fishing about two years ago and started out with the ubiquitous 9' 5wt graphite rod. I loved that rod and thoroughly enjoyed every moment of struggling to crack the fly casting code with it. It was just fun to be learning how to fly fish! One thing led to another, however, and I decided to give glass a try. After quite bit of research, including on this forum, I decided to go with an Orvis Superfine Glass 7'6" 4wt. What a sweet rod! Amazing touch and feel, not to mention durability, compared to graphite. Just the tip of iceberg for glass, I know, but a wonderful intro. I fish mainly for trout in Maryland on small to midsize rivers, but have dabbled in mill pond bass and light salt on the Chesapeake Bay. I look forward to nurturing my interest in glass on this forum and hope to learn from all of you.

Cheers,

Tony

Post 15 Jul 2020, 08:21 • #452 
Hello,
Just joined yesterday. I have been fly-fishing since 12' or 13', and as soon as I got into the sport I picked up tying as well. I was stationed in Anchorage, AK and cut my teeth fishing the storied waters of the Last Frontier. Relocated back to the center of the universe aka. Fort Bragg, NC (Fayetteville, NC) in 2014 and then became obsessed with warmwater fly-fishing especially Largemouth Bass in the small ponds and larger lakes in the surrounding area. During my last deployment (2017) I finally pulled the trigger on a Cabelas Prime one piece 8wt, talk about a power noodle, after lurking in the shadows on Facebook groups such as "Bass on the Fly" and some Fiberglass ones as well. Through the many conversations with members on the groups, I finally "squeezed". Since then I have not looked back. There's just something about fighting a fish, no matter the size, on a glass rod.
Since my inculcation into the dark ally ways of fly-fishing, I have picked up an Eagle Claw 6wt (originally for my daughter, but I tend to fish it more!) which is a great rod for the money, just a bit tip heavy. But any 6wt that will load a 8wt saltwater line is money in my book. Looking to expand my arsenal of rods to cover any fishing situation and currently looking to purchase a 3wt for some WNC small stream trout/bass/panfish.

JP

Post 15 Jul 2020, 11:22 • #453 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Choptanked and flies_x_jp!

Post 24 Jul 2020, 17:48 • #454 
Guide
Hi,

Long time lurker of the forum (well, a couple years), finally decided to join!

I've been fly fishing and tying flies for about 8 years and fish mostly Western destinations such as the Green River, UT and Lee's Ferry, AZ. Just recently started fishing the Sierra Nevadas.

Always been interested in glass rods and picked up an Eagle Claw CGR 3wt 7'6" about a year and half ago. It's a fun rod, especially for some of the smaller trout of the Sierra Nevadas, but it's a $30 rod and obviously has its limits.

Hope to learn enough to make a decision on a better rod and maybe even build one!! Look forward to the adventure.

Cheers,
Brian

Post 25 Jul 2020, 17:55 • #455 
Master Guide
Welcome Brian! Lots of knowledge here, lots of decisions too.

Tim

Post 28 Jul 2020, 16:27 • #456 
Hi new the the group. I have never really fly fished but have thrown a few flys with rods of my Father/Grandfather. I was young 13-15 years and just sorta worked my way through it. I have recently opened up a couple tubes of fly rods that I have not looked at for years as I was not fishing much and had never really fly fished. I remember fishing just a few times with my Grandfather before he passed when I was 12. My father passed just weeks after I was born so I know nothing about the rods I have, and all my fishing skills are self taught, so I have fun.

Heddon Tubular Glass #G.T. 702 - 7 1/2 question

Golden Gate quality fishing tackle (17) question

Post 25 Oct 2020, 23:32 • #457 
Sport
HI;
Been reading here and learning a lot. All I have in glass anymore is an old 2nd BSFL789 I rolled ~40 years ago in college. I like that rod so much my wife bought me a 1st blank before they were discontinued. The original is still fishing so the 1st is still in in it's sock ubtouched. hmmm

Just ordered a couple NFC 7'6" 4wt and one 8' 5wt Inconoglass along with a 9' IM casting steelhead rod I've always wanted to try. They told me the graphite was going to hang up the shipment. That's fine, things have changed a lot since I rolled my last rod so I have more studying to do. I have questions but I'll do some more reading before I ask.

Thanks! Steve

Post 26 Oct 2020, 01:56 • #458 
Administrator
Welcome to the Forum!

Don't forget to take photos as you go. We love rod photos here.

Tom

Post 26 Oct 2020, 18:56 • #459 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Steve!

Post 27 Oct 2020, 21:28 • #460 
Sport
Thanks. Sure I'll take pictures.

If I want to ask a question about guide sizing should I start a new thread or resurrect an old one?

This is the thread; viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40668

Post 28 Oct 2020, 09:17 • #461 
Administrator
It would probably be best to start a new thread about the particular rod that you want to build first.

Tom

Post 03 Nov 2020, 18:14 • #462 
Evening,
Well here on the east coast anyway. Love and hate this time of year, love the fishing hate the early dark.
Hesitated to join initially due to the fact Groucho was/is one of my heroes. "I'd never belong to a club that would have people like me as a member".......but then again I've never seen water and not thought.....where would I start?
Been flyfishing since early 60s so I've developed a lot of bad habits like most of the rest of you. I blame the fixation on my freshmen year biology teacher who announced on the first Friday of that year the following:
"Normally I take a group of boys (this was the early 60s) hunting up north or Thanksgiving but I'm changing up a going to take a group to Nova Scotia the day that schools let out in June. Anyone interested see me after class." It was last period. I didn't leave the room....needless to say. Been a long strange trip if I can rip off a generational saying.
I found this forum a couple years back after moving to the coast of North Carolina and finding my JW Young 4" Beaudex and googling "How to clean a 60 year old Beaudex?" Thank you @bulldog 1935.
So my trout fishing is 350 miles west of here and my False Albacore and big Red Drum is 350 feet east of here and I'm not complaining.
Thanks for having me and I'll behave, I promise......maybe..
JJ
PS: I also still have my St Croix 9' 2 piece GAF Criterion. Between the rod and reel I shoveled snow in NH like my trip depended on it. $2 a driveway maybe. It's been worth it.

Post 03 Nov 2020, 19:02 • #463 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, JJ Flycaster! Fishing 350' away -- sounds like you're at a very good place indeed.

Post 05 Nov 2020, 06:02 • #464 
There is an upside to living at the ocean here in NC. There's these hissercanes which aren't half as bad as hurricanes that mess up life and fishing occasionally but I'm not complaining. Folks on the Gulf Coast are taking a beating this year, fires in your state and the entire northwest creating havoc, the COVID 19 pandemic, etc. Mother Nature seeing how much we can take. Gotta stand tall and go forward. Head up.
BTW, I left an important part out in the intro in refrenceing my biology teacher. I know and believe there are teachers, professors, and child advocates on the site. Thank you. You make a difference in this world.
JJ

Post 05 Nov 2020, 11:14 • #465 
Glass Fanatic
"BTW, I left an important part out in the intro in refrenceing my biology teacher. I know and believe there are teachers, professors, and child advocates on the site. Thank you. You make a difference in this world."

Hear! Hear! My HS science teacher didn't take us fishing, but he did put a lot of time and energy in presenting college-level material to us during activity periods. He didn't have to do that, but he saw the need and took the initiative.

Post 08 Nov 2020, 18:26 • #466 
Tomah,
You're correct. Great teachers drop little "crumbs" of information and encourage students to pick them up and follow wherever they lead. When one finds them and announces to the teacher, "Hey, listen to this...." they usually have a wry smile on their face. Mission accomplished.

A question and a quick statement:

Q: I tried to update my profile but couldn't find the access, edit, secret handshake icon. Any help is always appreciated. Thanks

S: I noticed your forum name when I first found the website. I see the Colorado location but every time you pop up all I can think of is Tomah Wisconsin, I-90/I94 split. In an earlier life after being handed my DD214 and getting a firm good luck ('71) I was an O/O in the trucking industry. The Tomah area had an an eastbound scale just after the merge. Did some site seeing on the back roads. But what I do remember most was how many times during the winter traveling west in that area that the Aurora Borealis was visible and how great it was. Meant at least two things....there wasn't blizzard and the entertainment was free, unless you count the fuel cost. So you make three and I'm out.
Best,
JJ

Post 08 Nov 2020, 22:17 • #467 
Administrator
In the upper right hand corner of the forum page, click on User Control Panel.

On the next page, ib the left hand side, click on Profile.

On the next page, on the left hand side, click on Edit Avatar.

Don't forget to click Submit when you are done.

Tom

Post 09 Nov 2020, 08:19 • #468 
Glass Fanatic
JJ, my handle comes from Tomah Stream in eastern Maine, or actually "Tomah Country" through which Big Tomah and Little Tomah streams flow. That was where I fished as a boy. I don't know the origin of the name, but it pops up in different parts of the country: Wisconsin as you note, and here in Colorado as well.

By the way, my avatar photo is of the headwaters of the Colorado River in Rocky Mountain National Park. If taken today, the picture would be of burned-over meadow and timber. A big fire just swept though.

Post 17 Nov 2020, 17:38 • #469 
Sport
New guy here going back in time to my early days of fiberglass. Been fishing graphite since the early 80's and now going into glass. Picked up a couple Fenwick FF's and have a Phillipson Royal 7'6 and 6'6" on the way. I've really enjoyed reading all the great info on this board and finally joined yesterday. My fishing is mostly Utah even though I live in Scottsdale, AZ. In the summer I visit my home town of Pt. Angeles, WA and usually get into the Olympics for some flyfishing action.

Good to be here with all you guys!

Tony

Post 18 Nov 2020, 09:20 • #470 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Elwha73!

Post 20 Nov 2020, 11:45 • #471 
Thanks for the assist Tom. I'll get after it shortly.
JJ

Post 20 Nov 2020, 13:11 • #472 
Greetings from the Little Sustina watershead in Alaska. My fishing started some time ago in Tennessee. As a kid trolling, casting and the Finnysports catalog occupied my time.

In 1961 a Western Auto bamboo came my way. It was smallmouth and bluegill on Watts Bar until a drivers license led to Tellico trout. A sweet little Fenwick FF 75 converted me to fiberglass.

Now days work occasionally includes travel to the US wildlands. A six weight goes along.

The feedback of glass suits my casting. Lately vintage rods like the Fenwick FF 90 and
FF 112S are successful on Alaska fish.

Researching Fenwick and Wright and McGill led me here. Looking forward to learning more about the rods that we enjoy and sending my best to everyone.

Thom

Post 20 Nov 2020, 19:57 • #473 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome aboard Thom.

Larry

Post 20 Nov 2020, 20:09 • #474 
Thanks Larry,
It’s good to be aboard.

Thom

Post 21 Nov 2020, 12:32 • #475 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Thom!